Lights Keep Blowing

carlyai

Got these low voltage lights that the bulbs keep blowing. I usually replace the bulbs, but could it be I should replace the transformer and bulb at the same time? There must be some trick to it.

We have two rails of these lights in different rooms and the globes blowing happens on both rails.

20200714_061523.jpg

Halogen lamps can be rather fussy about supply voltage.

Are the transformers "electronic" (light in weight) or conventional (heavy)? If conventional swapping to electronic units would help with any "imperfections" in your supply.

OR

Swap to LED lamps.

LEDs may not give you the light "quality" you want they just are not the same as halogens. But they are cheaper to run and should last a lot longer.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Halogen lamps can be rather fussy about supply voltage.

Are the transformers "electronic" (light in weight) or conventional (heavy)? If conventional swapping to electronic units would help with any "imperfections" in your supply.

OR

Swap to LED lamps.

LEDs may not give you the light "quality" you want they just are not the same as halogens. But they are cheaper to run and should last a lot longer.

Thanks, it's for the Pattaya rental house, so just need to last. 

• Like 1

I have Led replacement for the old round fluros in my house on the darkside in Pattaya and that storm that went through here last Tuesday blew up all of them, we were out at the time but I suspect a nearby lightning strike, the sparky that came to check everything out put us onto a cheap supplier, I had been paying over 300 baht each for them and picked up new ones for 120 ea, bargain.

Looks like your lamps each have their own power feed. Could be in the square box, a trafo or electronic power supply.

Depending from which time (how old) they are. Like Crossy said with electronic devices it should bother less with fluctuations on the grid. Switching from trafo to electronics can, but you need to dismantle the the whole box and find electronic power supply which will fit in that box.

The lamps can be of inferior quality due to brand, try another brand.

You can switch to LED spots or lamps. They are power saving, so costs you less in energy bill. Also they should run way longer then a normal lamp (> 50000 hours). Important to know about LED's is , they come in a various settings.

a) watts, you van have a LED of 10 Watts, halogeen is commonly more 20 watts or higher. Of course there are LED's with even less watts, but then also the amount of lumen are mostly lower. You dont need to do 20 Watts if they are now in your lighting.

b) Amount of Lumen (most important with the LED or any light) which the LED emits, find them with 10 watts with highest Lumen for more light. Around 800 lumen is a good light source. Grow less lumen and you get more "cozy" feeling. Like the 600 or 400 lumen, mostly less Watts. With 10 Watts there are LED's with even 1050 lumen, more light.

c) LED have different colors emitting from 3000 K to 6500 K. The higher the temperature (K)indication, the more white the LED is. 3000 K is warm light (yellowish), 6500 K is white like TL light. You will find it on internet to show you about color. Personally i would have 4000 K lights (daylight), they are there but rare. 

• Like 1

I had that problem. New lights repeatedly would blow out within minutes. Thought it was wiring. Maintenance guy said I bought cheap lights not suited to use with Thai electric supply. Not sure what he meant but he got quality bulbs and no problem since.

Many LEDs do not like heat either. We went all LED in our new Kitchen area here 3 years ago. Half the LEDs have expired already. Cheap <deleted>  from China, i presume. But i wouldn't touch Halogen - had a chandelier fitting in UK that used those, average life about 6 months, even though not used a lot. I changed them to LED in  the early days (about 14 years ago), and they are still working.