Udon Thani OA Health Insurance

My permission to stay on my Non-Immigrant OA visa is dated 27-AUG-2020, so I will need to get an extension next month at Udon Thani.  I am in the process of getting health insurance from LMG now and they are asking for the start date of the policy.  Anyone with experience at Udon Thani on what date they expect?  I have seen reports on this forum with varying dates.  I have not been having much luck contacting the office.

I plan to dump the OA visa for an O when the borders open, so this is just a one time stop gap.

Thanks.

It varies from office to office it seems.

Pick a day you want to apply for the extension and have the insurance start on that day. They will either start your extension on that day or from the day your current permit to stay ends.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It varies from office to office it seems.

Pick a day you want to apply for the extension and have the insurance start on that day. They will either start your extension on that day or from the day your current permit to stay ends.

For Phuket immigration,

As it is the first extension they will be using the date of the application as the first day of the new extension.

So far i know this is done at most immigration offices but you could ask the office where you do the application before providing the insurance company with the date.

My reasoning was that since extensions are time added on to existing time, that don't reset day counters, so I bought my policy to start on the first day of my new extension and end on its last day.  That worked..they did want to see the original certificate and copies of most of the policy.  My experiences with Udon immigration were positive, especially since I had been in CM.  They wanted original TM30, too.  If you make it for the day you apply, worst case (knock wood) you would only get 11 months, as they would only extend for period of coverage.

I’m leaning towards going with the application date.  I could be wrong whichever way I go depending on the mood of the IO that day.

If they don’t like it, I should have enough time to get the policy date adjusted.

3 hours ago, merijn said:

As it is the first extension they will be using the date of the application as the first day of the new extension.

Not from my experience.

My permission to stay from Non O-A ("second year") ended on Oct 8, 2012.

I applied for extension in Sep 2012 and since then always get Oct 8 no matter what date I apply.

Regarding the OP: against my preferences (assuming that no miraculous other option opens up) I will apply late on Oct 6 and let the insurance start on that day like ubonjoe describes.

Worst case: loosing two days of extension.

Thanks for everyone's input.  I sent an email to immigration using the email address on my 90 Day report and received a prompt response, so excellent service in that regards.

Here is a quote from the email.

"Effective date of health insurance, should be before you will come to apply for your extension."

I have given those instructions to my insurance agent.

I will try to remember to update this thread after I apply for the extension.

Just now, StevoLe said:

Effective date of health insurance, should be before you will come to apply for your extension."

I have advised in couple threads that if I was attending imm on certain date for extension I would have insurance start day or 2 prior. 

Some time back there was a fella that had insurance commence same day he applied.

He was at imm in the morning. Rejected. Reason is that the policy commences something like late afternoon of its start date. The guy returned the next day no problem.

Sounds like a nonsense but that was the account.

• 4 weeks later...

As I promised, here is a follow up.

I successfully got an extension based on my OA visa today, August 10, at Udon Thani immigration.   My health insurance was effective as of today and I was given the full 1 year extension valid until 27-August-2021.

I used 800,000 baht in a Fixed deposit account.

I also did my 90 day report that was due last month.  I did it on time, but it was still pending.

The office was pretty much empty.

• Thanks 1