Is Jomtien Immigration quiet at the moment?

giddyup

Should be fairly quiet. It should be empty by rights as there haven't been any new arrivals in months and those on tourist visas are still OK for another couple of weeks.
Probably a small group of people also looking to do their extensions or get Residence Certificates and the like. I went in the last week of May and it took a total of 12 minutes (over 2 days) to do my Extension, Multi Re-entry permit and 90 Day report.
Smooth as silk !

Better to go early than wait until the end of the month when it probably will be jam packed for days (unless they announce another "amnesty" of course).

• Like 2

I know 90 days are a breeze but mine is due at the end of the month and as pointed out above I'll be going a few days early to be on the safe side if the visa amnesty isn't extended or it requires a further month extension payment and the place gets mobbed. 

I wonder how many are still here in Pattaya under the existing amnesty. 

Well Jomtien was quite busy this morning, there were 5 ahead of me waiting to do extensions, so nearly an hours wait, and they still give you that letter to return in 90 days with updated bankbook, more copies of passport etc.

• Sad 1

What time did you get there ?

And the hour's wait, is that from the time you arrived or from the time you sat in front of the desk ?

Which reminds me, tomorrow Jomtien is supposed to go "live" on the QueQ app. I'll try to remember to check it out and see if it's working and what it can be used for. If it works, then maybe next time you won't have to wait around as long !

Just now, Kerryd said:

What time did you get there ?

And the hour's wait, is that from the time you arrived or from the time you sat in front of the desk ?

Which reminds me, tomorrow Jomtien is supposed to go "live" on the QueQ app. I'll try to remember to check it out and see if it's working and what it can be used for. If it works, then maybe next time you won't have to wait around as long !

Got there about 10.45, can't do it earlier as bank doesn't open until 10.30. The hours wait was from the time I sat down and waited for 5 in front of me.

• Like 1

An hour to process 5 people ? Sheesh, either they are getting lazy or those 5 all had "issues". I was 5 minutes from my number being called to walking towards the door when I was finished.

You had to wait for the bank to......get your bank letter ? I usually get mine (and update the book) the afternoon before I go so I can try to be 1 or 2 in line the next morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

An hour to process 5 people ? Sheesh, either they are getting lazy or those 5 all had "issues". I was 5 minutes from my number being called to walking towards the door when I was finished.

You had to wait for the bank to......get your bank letter ? I usually get mine (and update the book) the afternoon before I go so I can try to be 1 or 2 in line the next morning.

It saves 2 trips, get my bank letter and then go to immigration, otherwise it's a trip to the bank for the letter, go the next day for extension, then go again to pick up passport. You may live 5 minutes away, I don't.

Is Jomtiem immigration quiet at the moment?

I was here last week for my 90 days reporting

very few people inside, very quiet, only me at the 90 days counter

most of the other counters weren't busy at all with no people queing

usualy i always go in the afternoon

in the morning it can be more busy

Edited by kingofthemountain

30 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It saves 2 trips, get my bank letter and then go to immigration, otherwise it's a trip to the bank for the letter, go the next day for extension, then go again to pick up passport. You may live 5 minutes away, I don't.

I live not far from you if you recall.  ????

But my bank branch (Bangkok Bank) is just a couple minutes down the road from me so it's not too difficult for me to get my bank stuff done the afternoon before I go to Immigration.

Still wonder why they need to keep everything overnight though. As I mentioned elsewhere awhile ago, by the time the guy/gal at Desk 8 finishes with your paperwork, you (and they) know it's all good.
By rights they should be able to give you your new stamp right there (or maybe after a short delay while they run your name/passport through the database to make sure you aren't Osama in disguise or something).

4 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I live not far from you if you recall.  ????

But my bank branch (Bangkok Bank) is just a couple minutes down the road from me so it's not too difficult for me to get my bank stuff done the afternoon before I go to Immigration.

Still wonder why they need to keep everything overnight though. As I mentioned elsewhere awhile ago, by the time the guy/gal at Desk 8 finishes with your paperwork, you (and they) know it's all good.
By rights they should be able to give you your new stamp right there (or maybe after a short delay while they run your name/passport through the database to make sure you aren't Osama in disguise or something).

My bank is at Lotus on Sukhumvit so I'm 3/4 of the way to immigration. Yeah, I never understood the overnight thing. The guy checks everything very thoroughly, so all it need is the stamp. Just another excuse to mess the falang around.

Edited by giddyup

11 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I went in the last week of May and it took a total of 12 minutes (over 2 days) to do my Extension, Multi Re-entry permit and 90 Day report.

Multi re-entry? I wish I had your optimism.

Edited by Yknot
  • Haha 1

The funny thing is that benches are for three people and the outer ones are forbidden to sit on, but if it was forbidden in the middle, then two had room to sit on.  Really wondering how long it took to do this in the wrong way too?

Amazing Thailand every day!

• Haha 1

Always best to renew early in case there are any issues. I've been recently, very quiet both for extension and 90 day report. Surprised someone had to wait an hour, i was in for 20 minutes and it only took 2 minutes to actually check my papers. (Why do people go in without the right forms and then hold everyone else up?).

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Always best to renew early in case there are any issues. I've been recently, very quiet both for extension and 90 day report. Surprised someone had to wait an hour, i was in for 20 minutes and it only took 2 minutes to actually check my papers. (Why do people go in without the right forms and then hold everyone else up?).

Two minutes to check papers? In 11 years never had my papers checked that quickly. That guy is extremely thorough, he double checks everything.

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Two minutes to check papers? In 11 years never had my papers checked that quickly. That guy is extremely thorough, he double checks everything.

The guy is pretty good though. When I did my last one, it was 5 minutes total (maybe a wee bit more) and that included taking the photos, giving me the "appointment sheet" to come back in 90 days and copies of the forms they make you sign (STM.2 Acknowledgement of Terms and Conditions and an Acknowledgement of Penalties for Overstay) that you can't download.

So checking my paperwork probably wasn't more than 3 minutes by itself.

It helps to have everything in order and already signed of course. He flew through my stack of papers, highlighting a bit here or there. He backtracked once when he checked the bank account number on one photocopy then flipped back to the page showing the balances to confirm the same account number was shown. On that page he highlighted the updated balance as well as what the balance was a year ago. (I leave the money in there so there wasn't any balance change 3 months after the last Extension was issued.)
He gave me the two Acknowledgement forms to sign and the "Appointment sheet" with the date I have to go back.

When he was finished he stacked the pages, paper clipped them and added the little number card. Took a photo of the paperwork with the number on it, took the photo of me, I asked him about a copy of the Acknowledgement Forms so I could fill that out ahead of time next time to make it quicker. He said "no problem" (about him filling it out on the spot) but gave me a copies anyways.

I gave him the fee, he gave me my change.

I started walking to the door and my watch said 08:35. So 5 minutes (maybe almost 6) from start to finish.

Might even be quicker next year as I can fill out those 2 extra forms ahead of time. Might get it down to under 5 minutes total !

Just come back from picking up passport, there was a queue 50 metres long outside, they are only letting people in as some come out. Fortunately they called "passport pickups" and I went to the head of the queue. So, if you are going allow plenty of time.

21 hours ago, Henryford said:

(Why do people go in without the right forms and then hold everyone else up?).

Some are pursuing an extension for the first time or have changed how they qualify. For myself, a long term Expat who uses the 800k in the bank, own my own place and  a utility bill confirms where I live, it seems that is straightforward for immigration. For someone proving 12 months of 60k deposits, it is a step more complicated, add a rented property instead and now paperwork from the owner is needed. Some IOs enjoy giving some people the run around too.....

• Like 2

On 7/15/2020 at 3:35 PM, giddyup said:

Just come back from picking up passport, there was a queue 50 metres long outside, they are only letting people in as some come out. Fortunately they called "passport pickups" and I went to the head of the queue. So, if you are going allow plenty of time.

I saw your post so thought I best to pick up my passport from yesterday visa application before midday, arrived at 1140 am but a notice on the door said closed for lunch from 12 to 1pm and the door at the end of the up ramp was closed, I guess they do that to clear people on the inside, I stood for a few seconds holding my little red plastic number when a girl opened the 'out' door to let someone out, she saw me clutching my number and said 'I do for you' I handed it over the rail to her and sat down on one of the chairs, a couple of minutes later she came out with the passport and the 90 day IO they said 'you want to do ninety day as well'? It was due on the 29th I said 'yes please' and they disappeared back inside for a couple of minutes and re appeared with it duly fitted with a new piece of 90 day paper. 

As a bonus to all this the ninety day report coincides with same date for the money verification date as well, so I was well pleased.

What a nice gesture and service from them, I would buy her a box of chocolates but would not recognize her again because they were all wearing masks...????