April Insurance price hike!

BobBKK

A broker put me onto April about 8 years ago. It was a specific policy for expats in Thailand/Mekong Sub-Region. The broker recommended them staying that they're governed by French law and therefore more reliable than Thai insurers. However, the premium would increase by more than 20% p.a. without ever making a claim. When I mentioned this the broker said that's because most of the insured expats were elderly retirees with the inference that they would be making regular claims.

So I switched to an insurer with a presence in Thailand (LMG) a few years ago where the premiums are more stable and jump only when you pass into a higher age bracket.  (Also they give you a proper plastic member card whereas with April I had to print out a paper membership card which didn't give me much confidence if I had to present it at a Thai hospital).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mark5335 said:

A broker put me onto April about 8 years ago. It was a specific policy for expats in Thailand/Mekong Sub-Region. The broker recommended them staying that they're governed by French law and therefore more reliable than Thai insurers. However, the premium would increase by more than 20% p.a. without ever making a claim. When I mentioned this the broker said that's because most of the insured expats were elderly retirees with the inference that they would be making regular claims.

So I switched to an insurer with a presence in Thailand (LMG) a few years ago where the premiums are more stable and jump only when you pass into a higher age bracket.  (Also they give you a proper plastic member card whereas with April I had to print out a paper membership card which didn't give me much confidence if I had to present it at a Thai hospital).

Yea I had an age jump of 38% + they don't give any no claims discounts.

Jumping to another brand @ 30,000pa less and 10% discount if no claims.

Yes - not the easist company to deal with.

My broker apologised to me after I had been with them a couple of years and admitted that he no longer uses them.

To be fair - they pay promptly but always in USD so I loose on the exchange rates.

Too late to change - too old and too many existing ailments. Big price hikes every couple of years.

However, the premium would increase by more than 20% p.a. without ever making a claim.

Strange.  I have just moved into a new age bracket with April (international policy), and my premium fee is unchanged.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 6:30 AM, simon43 said:

I pay 76,000 THB/year, no claims ????

It's the age bracket thing - it's coming your way soon enough. I'm paying 43,300 from 60 to 65 with Pacific Cross then it goes to 82,000  ???? 

12 hours ago, BobBKK said:

It's the age bracket thing - it's coming your way soon enough. I'm paying 43,300 from 60 to 65 with Pacific Cross then it goes to 82,000  ???? 

Yes, I know about the age bracket increases - already budgeted those increases up to age 100 ????

All insurers increase premiums as you age.

Some do it yearly, some do it in 5 year brackets. Those that do it in 5 year brackets, when you cross an age bracket the jump is very big e.g. 30-40%. those that do it annually, increase will be under 10% each year. Works out the same over the long term.

I've had April for 3 years now, virtually no change in premium cost, because I am still in the same age bracket. I have been very happy with them.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, Sheryl said:

Is there a 'fixed premium' for health insurance in Thailand? In my country, there are two ways to pay your premium, which are fixed and non-fixed. Non fixed premium is just like how we normally pay. It increases as you age. Fixed premium is, you pay same amount of money till 80 years or above.

For example, I'm 40 and non fixed price will quote me $100 a month and it increase every year or 5 years, however fixed premium will charge me $160 a month but never increase. 

In my country, it's a very common way to join a health insurance but cannot find similar policy in Thailand. Have you heard of any insurance company does this? 

On 8/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, Sheryl said:

Some do it yearly, some do it in 5 year brackets. Those that do it in 5 year brackets, when you cross an age bracket the jump is very big e.g. 30-40%. those that do it annually, increase will be under 10% each year. Works out the same over the long term.

I've had April for 3 years now, virtually no change in premium cost, because I am still in the same age bracket. I have been very happy with them.

Sorry for another question Sheryl! I'm about to submit my application to a broker.

I had my endometriosis removal surgery a couple years ago in my home country. Do I have to write this down? I'm... Curious how is France insurance company can find out my medical record in my country... especially in Aisa?!

I know it's silly but I'm just worrying that my application would be denied by this or premium would be very high. 

18 hours ago, Ray394 said:

Is there a 'fixed premium' for health insurance in Thailand? In my country, there are two ways to pay your premium, which are fixed and non-fixed. Non fixed premium is just like how we normally pay. It increases as you age. Fixed premium is, you pay same amount of money till 80 years or above.

For example, I'm 40 and non fixed price will quote me $100 a month and it increase every year or 5 years, however fixed premium will charge me $160 a month but never increase. 

In my country, it's a very common way to join a health insurance but cannot find similar policy in Thailand. Have you heard of any insurance company does this? 

No. Neither in Thailand nor among international companies that offer expatriate insurance.

13 hours ago, Ray394 said:

Sorry for another question Sheryl! I'm about to submit my application to a broker.

I had my endometriosis removal surgery a couple years ago in my home country. Do I have to write this down? I'm... Curious how is France insurance company can find out my medical record in my country... especially in Aisa?!

I know it's silly but I'm just worrying that my application would be denied by this or premium would be very high. 

Yes, you must record this if it fits the questions asked. For example if they ask about any surgeries ever or if they ask about surgeries in the past X years and this surgery was within that time frame.

Also if they ask (as they surely will) about any chronic condition.

Endometriosis is a chronic condition and unless you have passed menopause or had a complete hysterectomy, you still have it even though the surgery may have removed the symptoms for now. 

Depends on the insurer but usually when there is a chronic condition like this they will just list it as an exclusion (no effect on your premium) or give you the option of paying a higher premium or accepting an exclusion.

Lying/witholding information on an application is fraud and can invalidate the entire policy. Do not do that.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, you must record this if it fits the questions asked. For example if they ask anout any surgeries ever or if they ask about surgeries in the past X years and this surgery was within that time frame.

Also if they ask (as they surely will) about any chronic condition.

Endometriosis is a chronic condition and unless you have passed menopause or had a complete hysterectomy, you still have it even though the surgery may have removed the symptoms for now. 

Depends on the insurer but usually when there is a chronic condition like this they will just list it as an exclusion (no effect on your premium) or give you the option of paying a higher premium or accepting an exclusion.

Lying/witholding information on an application is fraud and can invalidate the entire policy. Do not do that.

You are absolutely right! I just filled in it with honesty. I'm applying April International and there's no Chronic diseases question though, only question is 'have you ever been hospitalized within last 10 years' that's it. And I'm putting my surgery condition there.