Covid-19: Infected Sudanese girl should have been under embassy care - she was in downtown Bangkok condo

webfact

Covid-19: Infected Sudanese girl should have been under embassy care - she was in downtown Bangkok condo 

3pm.jpg

An investigation is underway after a nine year old Sudanese girl - part of a family of embassy personnel - tested positive for coronavirus in Bangkok. 

According to the regulations about official visitors and guests of the Thai government she should have been at the Sudanese embassy or under their care.

Instead she was staying with other family members at an unnamed Bangkok condominium. 

That condo is being checked.

Coronavirus committee spokesman Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin gave details about the case that were contained in an infographic published by Daily News. 

Five members of the family had tested negative for the virus in Sudan on July 7th. 

They arrived in Bangkok on MZ 3277 July 10th and the girl was screened and showed no symptoms. 

However, a test revealed that she was positive for coronavirus. 

She was taken to hospital on the 11th and was diagnosed with a lung infection and transferred and is now in hospital.

Daily News headlined their story "Bangkok at Risk".

Source: Daily News

• Sad 1

In time of calamities and disasters all it takes is one person to bring about the ruins of many others, on the hand, it is impossible to foresee all bad situations and much less guard against them...

Residents of condo where infected Sudanese girl lived ordered to take Covid-19 test

By The Nation

800_253b81d1182e9f4.jpg?v=1594701805

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) has ordered health checks for residents of a Bangkok condominium in which a 9-year-old Sudanese girl infected with Covid-19 stayed.

Condo One X Sukhumvit 26, where the Sudanese diplomat’s family of the infected girl chose to stay, is located in Khlong Tan district.

The condominium confirmed that the family did not use any common or public rooms except for the lifts.

DDC deputy director-general Dr Preecha Prempree decided to examine the condominium for himself and instructed any person who came into contact with the family to immediately take a Covid-19 test.

The case of the infected girl in Thailand came to light on July 11. All five members of her family were screened for the virus before they departed and arrived in Thailand.

DDC vehicles were seen at the condominium. They are normally used to collect biosafety samples for a coronavirus test.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391279

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-14

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

The case of the infected girl in Thailand came to light on July 11. All five members of her family were screened for the virus before they departed and arrived in Thailand.

FWIW, the article here seems to make no mention of them actually being tested upon arrival in Thailand... But I'm seeing other news articles that say she was tested after arriving in Thailand and those are the tests that proved positive.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, webfact said:

They arrived in Bangkok on MZ 3277 July 10th and the girl was screened and showed no symptoms. 

Thai PPTV36 news has an article on this in TH that seems to say others on the same arriving flight may also have issues...

I did a Google Translate on this, but perhaps anyone who reads Thai can confirm:

“ในเที่ยวบินเดียวกับผู้ป่วย มีผู้โดยสารทั้งหมด 245 คน ซึ่งพบว่ามีผู้ป่วยที่เข้าเกณฑ์การเฝ้าระวังและสอบสวนโรค จำนวน 47 ราย จากการตรวจหาเชื้อพบผู้ติดเชื้อ รวม 12 ราย รวมผู้ป่วยรายนี้ และมีการส่งต่อเข้ารับการรักษาในโรงพยาบาลของ กทม. สมุทรปราการ และฉะเชิงเทรา”

"On the same flight as the patient There are a total of 245 passengers, of which 47 have met the criteria for monitoring and investigating the disease. Of the 12 infections found, a total of 12 patients have been identified. And referral to Bangkok hospitals, Samut Prakan and Chachoengsao. 

https://www.pptvhd36.com/news/ประเด็นร้อน/129329

I wonder what kind of flight that might have been that the family arrived on?

I'm not finding any info on a flight listed as MZ 3277, per the OP article here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:
According to the regulations about official visitors and guests of the Thai government she should have been at the Sudanese embassy or under their care.

Instead she was staying with other family members at an unnamed Bangkok condominium. 

The health officials don't understand that someone staying at an embassy residence IS "under the care" of the embassy. Very few embassies have living quarters on the chancery premises, and all the diplomats I know who have had to self-quarantine - both in Thailand and in other countries - have done so at their residences.

There are many comments on this thread suggesting that the family broke the quarantine, but nothing about that in the reporting: she was tested on arrival, went home, and then was taken to a hospital when her test came back positive and she developed symptoms. The same thing would have happened if she had been in a quarantine hotel rather than a condo, though I realize that will be of little solace to the residents of the other units in the condo building who will feel that they didn't have a say in this matter.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's clear that the 'special people' on the list who are allowed to avoid quarantine are not isolating like they should be - wow, what a surprise.

The government should take the opportunity while they still can to quarantine everyone on arrival - with no exceptions at all.

Speaking to Thais, it's very clear who they blame for this and it's the people who made this law.

There is large scale uproar and anger about this all over the Thai language social media, even the Army came out in defence of their position saying the law allows them in and there was nothing they could do.

In my opinion they could have monitored them 24/7 but perhaps that's not allowed.

But the Army RUNS the country yet they claim that they could do nothing about it?

• Like 1

My worldview is shattered.

I was convinced a covid 19 virus would exclude VIPs, Doctors, Lottery winners and other lucky living objects.

I was taught wrong. How do I go on from here?

It will be a tough and challenging time, but I have survived other crisis before. Time heals most wounds.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Here we go, The Thai government has to clamp down on this immediately.

two cases of blatant disregard to public health by diplomatic cases slipping through the net!

• Like 2

Can't really blame people for seeking out a safe haven in the times of Covid? Especially when it is easy, legal to do so, i.e. diplomats, or VIPs.

I'd imagine most of us would do the same for loved ones?

The Thai authorities need to find a way to test all on arrival - they have 90-minute PCR unit at SBIA/BKK, and enforce/encourage some sort of self-quarantine, without violating any sort of diplomatic "rules".

Thai social media is literally ablaze with negative comments on these two incidents. Will it topple the "government"? No. But the PtB are taking this very seriously.