Travel Certificate from Your Embassy to Fly Home?

Soutener

I am trying to fly home to the UK and have been offered a flight on the 19th July by Travel Click (Thailand).

But they say this:

"Due to the situation of the disease of Covid-19 Many airlines are not to fly but will only support passengers returning to their own country. Therefore, if the passenger wishes to travel, please contact The United of Kingdom Embassy in Thailand to issue a travel certificate and must have a medical certificate that is not older than 72 hours before departure."

Has anyone else been asked to get a travel certificate from their embassy? I contacted my embassy and got an old standard letter saying nothing about travel certificates for the UK.

The UK does not require any of these documents if a UK citizen is returning to the UK.

Thailand does not require any of these documents for anyone who is leaving the country, although your airline will check you fulfill any criteria set by the destination country.

I would be very wary about booking through an agent. Why not travel with EVA, who have been flying weekly from Thailand to the UK, every week without fail?

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 3:40 PM, blackcab said:

The UK does not require any of these documents if a UK citizen is returning to the UK.

Thailand does not require any of these documents for anyone who is leaving the country, although your airline will check you fulfill any criteria set by the destination country.

I would be very wary about booking through an agent. Why not travel with EVA, who have been flying weekly from Thailand to the UK, every week without fail?

They seem to be assuming all countries want the same as Thailand wants from incoming passengers - when my Thai spouse and son flew back to Thailand that's what they needed from the Thai Embassy.  Their Thai passports apparently weren't enough to prove they were allowed to enter Thailand (medical certificate being needed I kind of understand, but the "travel certificate" from the embassy was an odd request.

Any news on whether we have to self isolate for 14 days? I read people travelling Thailand were no longer required to, however, on the UK embassy website there is a list of corridor countires and Thailand is not it. 

1 hour ago, Marcous said:

Any news on whether we have to self isolate for 14 days? I read people travelling Thailand were no longer required to, however, on the UK embassy website there is a list of corridor countires and Thailand is not it. 

Correct - Thailand is NOT on the exempt list  ie you DO need to self-isolate when entering UK

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1