Non O family Visa expired in May - looking for suggestions.

Hi, my Non O family visa expired in May, now I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for potential D-Day at the end of the month. As far as I can tell I can get a 60 day family visa, or a 12 month guardian visa (requires 90 day check ins). Before I delve into these details, any other great options I may not be aware of in this dynamic environment? 

Many thanks :)

• Confused 1

You can apply for a 60 day extension of stay (it is not a visa) if you are married to or the parent of a Thai.

A guardian visa or extension of stay does not exist.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai or Marriage to a Thai. To apply based upon being the parent of a Thai you must be the legal father of your child by way of marriage or legitimization of your parenthood.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income to apply for the one year extension. For marriage the 400k baht will have to be in the bank for 2 months.

20 minutes ago, AussieB said:

another quick question - the proof of 40k income per month, this doesn't need to go into a thai bank account?

It has to be transferred into a Thai bank account from abroad into one in your name only. You also need proof they were transferred from abroad,

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 12:13 PM, ubonjoe said:

To apply based upon being the parent of a Thai you must be the legal father of your child by way of marriage or legitimization of your parenthood.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income to apply for the one year extension. For marriage the 400k baht will have to be in the bank for 2 months.

What is the process for legitimisation is it not sufficient to be listed on the birth certificate / tabien ban etc? Thanks

59 minutes ago, Jay88 said:

What is the process for legitimisation is it not sufficient to be listed on the birth certificate / tabien ban etc? Thanks

Your name on the birth certificate is not enough to prove you are the legal parent of your child.

If you child is 7 years old or older it can done at a Amphoe. Younger it has to be done at the family court. 

There is a pinned topic on the Family and Children forum about it. See: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vajra Kilaya said:

Does anyone have knowledge of how a non O for child support can be treated as a Non B in terms of the paperwork required? It was done before but now they are saying it was an unusual way to extend at the other province and that they do not do it like this here...

There are some offices that do not want to do it since the are not familiar with doing it. There is no written rule that states it cannot be done.

Perhaps showing the immigration order that mentions proof of tax payments is accepted to apply for an extension based upon being the parent of a Thai.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 1:52 PM, ubonjoe said:

Your name on the birth certificate is not enough to prove you are the legal parent of your child.

If you child is 7 years old or older it can done at a Amphoe. Younger it has to be done at the family court. 

There is a pinned topic on the Family and Children forum about it. See: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

Hi, just looking through the pinned topic regarding getting a letter from family court, it says that you need a lawyer with a cost of 10-20k. These posts are quite old and I got no respsonse from that thread. Is this actually the case that I need to spend so much? Does it take time?

Thanks as always...

5 minutes ago, AussieB said:

Hi, just looking through the pinned topic regarding getting a letter from family court, it says that you need a lawyer with a cost of 10-20k. These posts are quite old and I got no respsonse from that thread. Is this actually the case that I need to spend so much? Does it take time?

There have been some suggestions to go to the the family court for where you are living about the process and they could possibley recommend a lawyer that is less costly.

Rather than posting in the pinned topic it might be best to post a topic to get recent info on that forum.

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There have been some suggestions to go to the the family court for where you are living about the process and they could possibley recommend a lawyer that is less costly.

Rather than posting in the pinned topic it might be best to post a topic to get recent info on that forum.

OK thanks. Can I ask exactly what I should ask for? Is it: 'a letter from court that shows that I am the legal guardian of my son for the purposes of the 12 month extension of stay as the father of a thai child'?

13 minutes ago, AussieB said:

OK thanks. Can I ask exactly what I should ask for? Is it: 'a letter from court that shows that I am the legal guardian of my son for the purposes of the 12 month extension of stay as the father of a thai child'?

It is more that a letter. I is a court ruling to legitimize you parenthood.

After getting it you would then need to go to a Amphoe to get the legitimization completed to get a Kor Ror 11.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is more that a letter. I is a court ruling to legitimize you parenthood.

After getting it you would then need to go to a Amphoe to get the legitimization completed to get a Kor Ror 11.

ok, what is a Kor Ror 11? Is that what I submit on the 12 month extension application?

7 minutes ago, AussieB said:

ok, what is a Kor Ror 11?

It is a form that confirms you are the legal father of your child.

7 minutes ago, AussieB said:

Is that what I submit on the 12 month extension application?

Yes

On 7/19/2020 at 2:11 PM, ubonjoe said:

All the major ones are about the same. I use Bangkok Bank and have had no problem with them.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:58 AM, ubonjoe said:

It has to be transferred into a Thai bank account from abroad into one in your name only. You also need proof they were transferred from abroad,

So they won't give me a bank account with my expired visa, even with the amnesty. Any suggestions?

27 minutes ago, AussieB said:

So they won't give me a bank account with my expired visa, even with the amnesty. Any suggestions?

I have read a post saying a immigration office did a stamp stating a person was on the "automatic extension" under the amnesty. It might worth a try or check to see if they will do a certificate of residency that the bank should accept.

But a recent post also stated that their office would not do a stamp.

On 8/6/2020 at 2:55 PM, ubonjoe said:

I have read a post saying a immigration office did a stamp stating a person was on the "automatic extension" under the amnesty. It might worth a try or check to see if they will do a certificate of residency that the bank should accept.

But a recent post also stated that their office would not do a stamp.

This will be interesting. I'm going to go and get my 60 day extension. This 60 days will start on September 26? Then hopefully with this the banks will allow me open an account, then I can get my 12 month extension.

Do we need to book with Phuket immigration for an appointment, or just turn up? Is it busy these days?

28 minutes ago, AussieB said:

This will be interesting. I'm going to go and get my 60 day extension. This 60 days will start on September 26? Then hopefully with this the banks will allow me open an account, then I can get my 12 month extension.

Do we need to book with Phuket immigration for an appointment, or just turn up? Is it busy these days?

Whether the extension is from September 26th or not depends upon the immigration office where your apply. It is unknown at this time what Phuket immigration is doing.

No appointment is needed. Most offices are not busy now.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Whether the extension is from September 26th or not depends upon the immigration where your apply. It is unknown at this time what Phuket immigration is doing.

No appointment is needed. Most offices are not busy now.

you mean 'whether the extension is from' rather than 'until' I assume. That's a problem... no point going in till later if 60 days doesn't start ticking from Sep 26, but I need to get my bank account set up with more than 60 days before my 12 month extension.... interesting conundrum

1 hour ago, AussieB said:

you mean 'whether the extension is from' rather than 'until' I assume. That's a problem... no point going in till later if 60 days doesn't start ticking from Sep 26, but I need to get my bank account set up with more than 60 days before my 12 month extension.... interesting conundrum

Exactly, if your local IO is willing to accept your application for the 60-day extension of stay, but they let it start from date of application, you won't have sufficient time left to meet the 2-month seasoning requirement from the funds when using the funds-in-bank method.

You would have sufficient time when using the monthly-income transfer method, as that method only requires two transfers in the two months preceding the date of application.  E.g when applying on 24 September,  a transfer done in August and one in September would suffice.

But contrary to the funds-in-bank method, this monthly-income transfer method also requires you to prove the foreign origins of the funds transferred and you might also be asked to provide evidence of the source of the foreign income transfers.  Especially that last requirement might prove difficult as some IOs only accept a pension statement or an Embassy issued monthly-income statement as proof of the sourcing of your foreign income.

To avoid any such problems the funds-in-bank method is much easier as it only requires that you show the funds have been on your personal thai bank-account for at least two months on the moment of application.

Opening a thai bank-account is a bit of a hit-and-miss, so be prepared to be turned away a couple of times before one except will you, and different branches of same bank will often have different policies, so it is not because Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank location A turned you down that the same bank at location B would not accept you.