Almost 400 at risk of Covid-19 after infected Egyptian soldier visited Rayong department store

webfact

Almost 400 at risk of Covid-19 after infected Egyptian soldier visited Rayong department store

By The Nation

800_ff8e3984bb2ae97.jpg?v=1594705535

Almost 400 people carry the risk of contracting Covid-19 after an Egyptian soldier infected with the virus and his group visited a Rayong department store, according to the Thai Chana platform.

As of now, two staff of the Rayong hotel in which the 43-year-old Egyptian soldier stayed have been quarantined, the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration revealed today (July 14).

A Department of Disease Control (DDC) investigation team visited all areas the group of Egyptians went to, especially the Laem Thong department store.

A data check of the virus-alert Thai Chana platform showed that 394 people visited the department store on July 10 at the time the Egyptian soldier was there.

Digital Economy and Society Ministry inspector-general Dr Polawat Witoolkollachit said the Thai Chana platform under the DDC confirmed within three hours who visited the store on July 10 from 11am to 3pm – the approximate time that the soldier and his group were at the store.

Of the 394 people, two cannot be contacted because they may have entered the wrong phone number or deliberately used fake numbers.

The Rayong Public Health Office, which is under the Office of Disease Prevention and Control Region 6, is responsible for personally contacting those deemed at risk and instructing them to take a free Covid-19 test.

Those who did not use the Thai Chana platform while visiting the department store on July 10 are instructed to immediately contact the Department of Disease Control via Hotline 1422 or the Rayong Public Health Office.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391281

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-14

• Haha 1

I have been to many Malls where people just stream in without checking in. I made an official complaint to one such Mall and they actually thanked me and told me that if I had reported them to the local health authorities that they would have been closed for a week and fined 400 000 baht. The next time I visited the Mall they had 3 people checking every one coming in. Those who checked in using Thai Chana had to show their phones to prove they had actually used them to check in.

2 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

Covid should be taken serious, but if they continue this procedures after every new case, they won`t get back to normal until 2022.

They will only continue like this until there's a widespread outbreak, at that point they will do what all other countries did....just treat when it shows up at the hospital.

• Thanks 1

crazy over reaction,the usual bs .no ones asking the pertinent questions,why were these soldiers allowed to come and go at will,we arnt?pak china these are countries who have serious virus problems,what have rayong schools got to do with it?were they wearing masks?testing-we havent done any of that and if 400 are tested and lots are positive whats that tell us?test 400 that wernt at the mall and i bet u get the same results,total idiocy again.who is responsible for these troops being allowed in ,thats the question and we know the answer .other troops!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

They will only continue like this until there's a widespread outbreak, at that point they will do what all other countries did....just treat when it shows up at the hospital.

Other places are having to re-impose restrictions after CV cases and deaths rose/are rising after original restrictions were relaxed...

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/california-under-lockdown-as-surge-of-coronavirus-cases-explodes-nationwide/#x

California under lockdown as surge of coronavirus cases explodes nationwide

California Governor Gavin Newsom ordered all counties in the state to close indoor operations at restaurants, bars and museums as coronavirus cases continue to surge. Meanwhile, the Los Angeles and San Diego school districts announced it will resume classes this fall, but only online. 

4 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

I have been to many Malls where people just stream in without checking in. I made an official complaint to one such Mall and they actually thanked me and told me that if I had reported them to the local health authorities that they would have been closed for a week and fined 400 000 baht. The next time I visited the Mall they had 3 people checking every one coming in. Those who checked in using Thai Chana had to show their phones to prove they had actually used them to check in.

An official complaint, that sounds fancy.

5 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

Seriously????!!! Seems you are too long here to be brainwashed like the average Thai. They continued for weeks letting flights in from China! It was the Chinese Government which imposed the travel ban for their own citizens. TH kept bs around with " Chinese can enter with medical certificates" etc. At that time the virus wasn`t an issue in Europe. So in the end, TH reacted, but never acted pro-actively. For whatever reason they were lucky that it didn`t spread. By the way...there are evidences that TH counted covid-deaths as deaths by pneumonia and so on.

"For whatever reason they were lucky that it didn`t spread" 

Proves you haven't got a clue what they did to counter act and how the virus works.

Same as your government.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

Sorry to say, but Thailand has turned from no actions in the beginning to way over the top actions now. They are just scaremongering the population. Streets in Rayong have been desinfected, some schools closed, less ppl with visit the mall, nearby island like Samet will be less frequented. And all that because of 1!!!! new case.

Every pandemic starts with the 1st case... 

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm still waiting to hear the rationale for closing a number of schools in the area, as a result of the Egyptians escapades...  How do the local schools fit into their frolick???

My daughter's was closed yesterday for the whole week. Very possible Utapao workers have kids going to same school since we're in Ban Chang area.

On 7/14/2020 at 1:02 PM, SpanishExpat said:

The "0 case policy" Thailand is so proud of is contra-productive. I hope it won`t happen, but what if for whatever reason the cases go up again. They will lockdown Bangkok or other cities again, because of a few cases? I just know that in Germany they take measures, if there are more than 50 cases per 100.000 people. 

Yes and the reality is before Thailand had huge numbers of cases and didn't know. The antibody study that was done by the health ministry showed that out of 100K randomly tested at risk people 20k tested for positively for covid antibodies. Thailand actually had a significant amount of cases before and society functioned normally although the excess death show that a fair number more died than we were led to believe. To go into hysterics over 1 case when before there were at least 10s of thousands makes no sense. This one case may cause a cluster and maybe some deaths, but will only damage the stats. People need to get some perspective.

From June 20, 2020:

https://bangkokherald.com/coronavirus/new-evidence-casts-doubts-on-accuracy-of-thailands-official-coronavirus-statistics/

"The second piece of evidence comes courtesy of the Public Health Ministry itself, which said the Disease Control Department has nearly completed testing of Thailand’s at-risk population and found no infections.

Dr. Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, the department’s director-general, said the ministry has

conducted nearly 100,000 coronavirus tests on medical personnel, delivery people, public-transport officials, prison guards, inmates, mail carriers, migrant workers and those working in public and entertainment venues.

That high-risk population was tested randomly using statistical sampling methods with everyone receiving the most-accurate Reverse Transcription PCR test. He said 80 percent of those tested were found to be virus-free.

The real news, however, involves the other 20 percent. These approximately 20,000 people were all found to have coronavirus antibodies, meaning they had been exposed to, or even infected with, the coronavirus but never developed symptoms serious enough to warrant a doctor’s visit."