Foreigners in Thailand eagerly await clarification regarding visa amnesty

webfact

16 hours ago, Timwin said:

In other words the immigration offices would take the role of a Thai embassy, allowing to submit papers for new visas. If not filed by 26th of September or denied, you would be overstaying after that day. Otherwise, it does not make sense. Grace period is still a sort of amnesty. 

Do they usually make sense? 

17 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Nobody would be against it, and least of all those on permissions to stay that already expired.

Also please note that in the leaked unofficial announcement IO refrained from using the term Amnesty or extension, but cleverly used the expression 'grace period'.

So there cannot be any doubt that in their minds 26 September is the Final Date.

And of course it would once again be somewhat stressful to find out whether applications for extensions of stay would be accepted during the 'grace period'.  Most probably as is the case now already for the Amnesty 'extension', there will be wildly varying interpretations depending at which IO you apply.

Grace Kelly, Jones?????? 55555555

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 9:15 AM, Jim P said:

EVA fly every Sunday direct to London, no problems getting to the UK, there`s plenty of flights, nobody from the UK is stranded. I think all applicants will now have to appear in person at immigration and those with the correct papers and proofs to live here will be extended. All those still here on tourist visas are by now uninsured and should have gone home or at least have a ticket out, maybe they will get 7 days or be lucky enough to get another amnesty.

Slight misinformation there by saying "All those still here on tourist visas are by now uninsured"

Agree that most policies have time limits per trip, but equally, most have clauses where, if you're stranded abroad, the cover is extended until your eventual return to your home country.

Of course, the question then is "are they really stranded or just choosing not to return?"

21 hours ago, planetphuket said:

You advise for 90 days ONLINE from Immigration ?? Haha. you should know that the online registration over years not work !!! You know ? Do you ? Even the officers on Immigration laughing out loud !

You are wrong. 

It works. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, VBF said:

Slight misinformation there by saying "All those still here on tourist visas are by now uninsured"

Agree that most policies have time limits per trip, but equally, most have clauses where, if you're stranded abroad, the cover is extended until your eventual return to your home country.

Of course, the question then is "are they really stranded or just choosing not to return?"

I took out an away from home policy 6 months ago. Extend it every 2 or 3 months. No problems 

• Like 1

Anyone here on NON-O volunteer and the last extension date exceeded?

I came in Thailand on non-o (v) on the 12th of August 2019.

The last, third, extension (in may) was not done, as company was closed and Immigration said I am in the amnesty.

Now,if there was no covid19 and no amnesty and I did the extension as usual it would be till around 7th next month.

What can I expect?

On 7/16/2020 at 2:49 PM, Peter Denis said:

MY APOLOGIES > I made a mistake in my original response to you, but luckily it makes things easier for you.

I wrote >

You would need to apply when you have at least 15 days left (some IOs require 23 days) before the permission to stay from that 60-day extension expires.  It will also give you the time to meet the 2 month seasoning requirements of your funds when applying for the 1-year extension of stay.

This is not correct > When applying for the 1-year permission to stay based on your original Non Imm O Visa, you can do this till the last day before the permission to stay from your 60-day extension expires.

It is only when applying for the Non Imm O Visa (from a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry) that you need to do the application 15 (or) 23 days before the permission to stay expires from that Visa Entry or 60-day extension you applied for.  But you are not in that case.

So you will have no problem whatsoever meeting the 2-months seasoning requirement of the funds when applying applying for the 1-year permission to stay.

Once again my apologies, for the possible confusion I created...

Apologies for the delay in thanking you for this response, too. Good of you to take the trouble to do it.

• Like 1