Foreigners in Thailand eagerly await clarification regarding visa amnesty

webfact

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You and the grumpy folks again.  Having a Retired OA Visa or extension thereof is allowed for folks 50 and above, An O visa based upon a marriage to a Thai/or having Children is also allowed but to stay for the year without leaving you need to convert that to an extension of stay based upon the initial O visa obtained.  Without said extensions of stay or the TE Visa you must leave the country to reset the visa or go to immigration and pay to get a 30 day extension of said visa before you bounce out and back in.  I always did the ME Visa based upon Marriage at the time, but the reality is that in todays world its not doable.  So a Extension of stay based upon Marriage with a ME Re-Entry permit is what's needed so the extension of stay does not die when you leave the country if you have a job outside of the country.  

That had absolutely nothing with what i wrote nor my point to do. Seems like the pandemic is taking a toll on some peoples mental health.

Edited by Okis

21 minutes ago, Okis said:

it makes you feel good about yourself.

You know how I feel? 

Then you know a lot and should explain to all the Visa artists how to stay legal in Thailand for long time. 

You know, legal married, no criminal history, money at bank account aso ????

1 hour ago, CH1961 said:

There are proper Visa for this kind of clientel. 

If you are not qualified for retirement extension you can choose Elite-Visa. 

If you are using/abusing Tourist-Visa the deadline is end of month. 

Come on man, with all due respect, you are not the person who can responsibly talk about the Thai immigration‘s deadlines.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Sounds very wise to deposit 400-800K for a year extension at the current exchange rates, to then see the baht plummet and so your liquids. No thanks.

It's up to you to spend your Quid in East-End ????

24 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

Just read the date/stamp in your Passport and then think about you wrote before. 

.. unlimited amount of time in Thailand ????

If everything you have to contribute is some nitpicking based on the word i chose, then i suppose that in general you agree with what i said.

15 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

You know how I feel? 

Then you know a lot and should explain to all the Visa artists how to stay legal in Thailand for long time. 

You know, legal married, no criminal history, money at bank account aso ????

25k to a VISA agent keeps you legal for 1 year on a retirement extension.

No document paper chase, no money in the bank required.

It's actually the Immigration officers favourite choice for extensions.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

They've had ample time to get back home on repatriation flights. Granting another extension is just ridiculous. These people intend to stay, and don't have the valid insurances required anymore. 

Which required insurances?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

everyone waiting to see if i go or stay for awhile longer.many of my friends are in that boat

can i get a 60 day tourist visa ? i am in pattaya now and wanted to know if i can buy a 60 day visa with the borders closed ?  my own view is the free visa extension wont be extended as i think immigration will want their commission on getting any visas done . 

32 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

I'm married to a Thai as well but don't have a 'proper' visa. At the time for my yearly spouse 'O" renewal I had to choose between that and my new overseas job. It wasn't much of a choice really as immigration doesn't pay the bills. I think there should be some leeway such as in the unforeseen circumstance we're in now. Having me leave the country is a waste of money, time, energy and puts myself at risk. It also doesn't take into consideration the separation of family and effects of it.

That is a problem with residing in a country where you do not have permanent residence. You got caught out because of this unprecedented pandemic. Could have happened to any of us, I know others with similar problems. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rott said:

That is a problem with residing in a country where you do not have permanent residence. You got caught out because of this unprecedented pandemic. Could have happened to any of us, I know others with similar problems. 

Yeah, this happened to me, but my main residence is in Taiwan, and I am trapped here in Thailand. I can't incorporate and get my ARC from outside of Taiwan. I had new work planned and have lost my income for the year. Now I need to be able to stay here until Taiwan opens up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndrewMciver said:

They've had ample time to get back home on repatriation flights. Granting another extension is just ridiculous. These people intend to stay, and don't have the valid insurances required anymore. 

Well , yeah , all these people predicted this corona virus and thought to themselves  * I will go and stay in Thailand , where I will get a visa amnesty "

You have the long term visa and insurance and everything that goes with that and you seem to begrudge others that dont have that .

I do hope that you also go on UK/Thai based forums and tell all the Thais in the UK to get back home 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If we just talk about facts, what is the problem to stay Thailand when you are safe ? Why they want foreigners to leave and put them in more problem, them and there Thai family ? And much more because of a paper... I don't understand the idea on this point.

I'm also in my own country and can not come back Thailand because i don't want my family loose money by this expensive obligation to stay 14 days in a very expensive high society hotel who cost minimum 1000 € for 2 weeks (without paid for food i will have to buy on place where i will be locked at, i imagine, very expensive price).

I sure can paid the 45 € by month special insurance and i understand this to be a good idea to have one, maybe (if in case of problem you don't have to fight for get your rights from insurances companies...).

But how about bye a ticket fly before to know if i'm authorized to come (and loose again a lot of money if i'm not authorized...) and without to know when i will have an answer (which date able then ? The fly will be full and leave or cancel at the last time because to much obstruction due to panic comportment ?).

Actually, the money i won is also the one for my Thai family, and now, in my country, i'm out of season and win nothing right now and for one month ago already...

I also read information about Laos and Myanmar workers who goes out of Thailand and has been infected but not part of the strange account of infected people in Thailand (who would make them jump up suddenly). I also see many more people die suddenly, but not for COVID-19... more than 2500 upper than last year in the same time laps (very strange).

It's very strange to me when i try to find a logic in this story time (much more when i'm looking at statistic probabilities with what Thailand provide as infected number divide by people die about COVID-19... looks like a bit unrealistic, or almost totally out of the statistic probabilities with all other countries all over the world... it is fantastic).

And the way foreigner married who assume Thai family seems to be specially difficult for these foreigners and there own Thai family.

I feel, like many other foreigners and Thai family linked, that this doesn't deserve anyone concerned by this kind of decision. And i can not find also any logic with a safe option provided. Well... i can accept i'm maybe wrong, but there is also no demonstration proof and no clue, so difficult to get an idea of the logic (and i love logic).

Ok, but also, definitely when i read some answer and comment (who are very arrogant and negative against all of us foreigners married with Thai, and many time the same who are also very negative with Thai people without any discernment), i can not also understand why some of you feel happy with that situation or deny the problem of foreigner and Thai linked family. Maybe you don't like Thailand ? Maybe you don't like foreigner who are married ? So why are you coming to post there if you don't like Thailand, Thai people and married foreigners ? It looks like a psychological problem and a bit sadistic comportment. So, maybe because you are not concerned by the same problem you are thinking that it is because all the other, except yourself, are stupid ? Please, give a proof of intelligence (and also the top level of what is the Thai culture from Buddhism) and then don't post negative things around and enjoy your own better situation.

I hope very soon things will become possible and reasonable, for every body, and not only in Thailand.

Shok dii

1 hour ago, fraggleRock said:

I'm in a similar situation - I'm screwed.... I have decided to leave Thailand forever - they hate us here... And bring my family over I hope next year... I have no choice.

You make the choice to feel like this. It is your choice. But there is many other choice and no proof about haters or not.

Maybe they have difficulties to understand or to organize themselves. I can see many times in Thailand there is a special culture and story time around organization capabilities (sometimes closer to zero organization). It should be a cultural problem also. I don't know a place in the world where a culture is perfect. There is always some pros and cons.

I can see also the study level is clearly very down for public current school. And it is not an impression, there is international classification show that point too. Some family sale land to paid study to there best child in foreigners country school for very expensive price compared to Thailand price of life (and at the top level of the Thai society, all of them are going to learn out of there own Thailand country). So we can also think about they have difficulties to understand all the problems related and have difficulties to find the best technical solution (the best way who can be good for some situation and dramatic for some other, or must probably and easily bad for everybody, nothing more easy than the facilities).

But well... to decide that they should hate us is a bit dramatic version of the story and i think there is no objective proof of that way. It is also a choice difficult to do when i have only friends around me when i'm in Thailand. Everybody who know me in thailand ask for me when i can come back... that they miss me and all of them want me to come back as soon as possible. No one speak bad about me (and i know a lot of people there). Maybe because i'm not in a city, but in a little village with only very good people.

I can also see a big difference of money between society level and a difficult history sometime, not only with economy. I see a nice country with old (and good) practices in a very new world... it should be difficult to adapt this very aggressive economic and politic world with contemporary history of Thailand versus old practices. Everything is going so fast all over the world, and also in Thailand but with a bit offset (a bit who, many times seems to be big relatively to other technology area).

I also never see Thailand population to have xenophobic sentences (there is some if we search for, sure, all over the world that low level xenophobic ideas exist, but not to much in Thailand). I see they look at farang as very different, but sure, we are very different. Our culture is different, our mind thinking and practice are different, but we eat food together, we can also work together on the same rice field, and be happy, all together as long as we respect the difference, be respectful and sometime try to understand. I feel this to be very normal statement in a foreign country (and this seems to be not so nice in my own country, so i can not criticize on this point as human relations in Thailand is very clean).

Nothing make me feeling they hate us, but where are you living in Thailand ? I think they are afraid (not about us specifically, but about this new world they also like to see and the COVID-19). It is like a kind of little village mind thinking about foreigner can bring back home a virus... like this happened everywhere around the world in old little village... don't you know that ? Please, speak with your ancestors and let them describe how it was in the village in your own country... exactly same. They don't hate you, they are a bit afraid with that virus and maybe don't see the reality of there own problem to not test suffisantly and to not see that, i think, the virus is very present in Thailand too, like all the other humans place to be.

By the time, things would become better. How long ? How many Thai and farang would be sacrificed because of scary mind thinking ?

Please, do not participate to the scary/drama movie scenario there... make a lovely choice, be strong and try to show/speak about the problem (if no express a problem in other way than imagine haters, it would be an other one problem at next step, for sure).

Edited by jerolamo
rectify sentences to be clear

Ok has anyone got a plan b of sort. Let's say they don't say nothing till 48 hours before. You gonna wait until then or bolt earlier? 

What options for getting out are real.

Worry about getting in is another issue but if you don't want overstay what options of close by places are really there?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Why do you need border runs if you have a valid visa? 

Why do you need to exit?

Possibly a one year "multi entry visa" which mean every 90 days you must do a border run?