Foreigners in Thailand eagerly await clarification regarding visa amnesty

webfact

9 hours ago, bkkexplorer said:

I'm in a similar situation. Wife, kids, pink id card, yellow book and only house I own is here. Been traveling back and forth recently until covid hit and lost my job. Used up my 30 and 60 day extension and now on amnesty visa. Was told by immigration I have to leave the country! Where to? This is my home for the last 20 years.

you are not alone from what i read its gong to be almost impossible to get back in unless you have lots of money 

10 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

They've had ample time to get back home on repatriation flights. Granting another extension is just ridiculous. These people intend to stay, and don't have the valid insurances required anymore. 

My VISA has never required any insurance.

But it does require me to be a 'frequent flyer', who would have predicted all the borders would be closed, and all the airlines would be out of business when I purchased it in January?

PS

You'd have to be stupid to buy a VISA that requires a worthless and expensive Thai insurance.

Edited by BritManToo

9 hours ago, bkkexplorer said:

I'm in a similar situation. Wife, kids, pink id card, yellow book and only house I own is here. Been traveling back and forth recently until covid hit and lost my job. Used up my 30 and 60 day extension and now on amnesty visa. Was told by immigration I have to leave the country! Where to? This is my home for the last 20 years.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation, entirely outside of your will.

What is your IO?  And what is the original Visa from which your current permission has been provided and on which you are presently staying in Thailand?

What is your age and nationality?

There are 2 options left for you:

1 - There are confirmed reports of some IOs accepting an application for a Non Imm O Visa or 1-year extension of stay, even with your present permission to stay expired. 

Temporary relocating to a province with such an IO, could therefore be considered.

Doing so, would involve renting a place in that province, as they will not accept such an application doing it from a Hotel you checked in the day before.  But a rental contract and having done your TM30 (or TM27) change of address at that more accomodating IO, would clear the road for such an application in that province.

You would not even have to 'physically' relocate if you prefer staying in your current place.

Note: If you are on a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry, you would need to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (either for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage), but you can only do so it you have still left at least 15 days (some offices even require 23 days) on your current permission to stay.  With the Amnesty 'extension' expiring 31 July (unless it is extended), it is unlikely that you still have enough time to do it (and a Change of Visa application is not allowed once you are on overstay).

Applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on your current Non Imm O marriage Visa, will not be a problem as this can be done until last day of your present permission to stay.

But it would require 2 months of seasoning of the financial funds that are required when doing such an application, so if you did not do that already that might be a stumbling block.

Depending on your nationality an Embassy statement of your monthly foreign income would be an option that is still feasible.

2 - Go the Fixer Agent road, but which is not entirely without risk. 

The offices not accepting your application for a Non Imm O marriage Visa (when on a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry) or your application for a 1-year extension of such Visa (when on ME Non Imm O Visa entry), might be driven by the (hidden) motivation that you engage an Agent to fix your situation which will ensure them of a 'brown envelope' as part of the Fixer Agent's fee.  When going the Fixer Agent route you would probably have to opt for a 1-year extension for reason of retirement, as the application for Marriage extension does require divisional HQ approval (which is more difficult and expensive as it requires 'connections' at both local and division level, as well as two 'brown envelopes'). 

Hope this helps and wish you luck in sorting it out.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jomtienisgood said:

Don't forget all the canceled flights....

There are flights out though, and still spaces available on them.

This is going to be a dream come true for immigration. Clear out all the visa runners in one fell swoop.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

What is your IO?  And what is the original Visa from which your current permission has been provided and on which you are presently staying in Thailand?

There are 2 options left for you:

1 - There are confirmed reports of some IOs accepting an application for a Non Imm O Visa or 1-year extension of stay, even with your present permission to stay expired. 

Temporary relocating to a province with such an IO, could therefore be considered.

Doing so, would involve renting a place in that province, as they will not accept such an application doing it from a Hotel you checked in the day before.  But a rental contract and having done your TM30 (or TM27) change of address at that more accomodating IO, would clear the road for such an application in that province.

You would not even have to 'physically' relocate if you prefer staying in your current place.

Note: If you are on a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry, you would need to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (either for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage), but you can only do so it you have still left at least 15 days (some offices even require 23 days) on your current permission to stay.  With the Amnesty 'extension' expiring 31 July (unless it is extended), it is unlikely that you still have enough time to do it (and a Change of Visa application is not allowed once you are on overstay).

Applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on your current Non Imm O marriage Visa, will not be a problem as this can be done until last day of your present permission to stay.

But it would require 2 months of seasoning of the financial funds that are required when doing such an application, so if you did not do that already that might be a stumbling block.

Depending on your nationality an Embassy statement of your monthly foreign income would be an option that is still feasible.

2 - Go the Fixer Agent road, but which is not entirely without risk. 

The offices not accepting your application for a Non Imm O marriage Visa (when on a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry) or your application for a 1-year extension of such Visa (when on ME Non Imm O Visa entry), might be driven by the (hidden) motivation that you engage an Agent to fix your situation which will ensure them of a 'brown envelope' as part of the Fixer Agent's fee.  When going the Fixer Agent route you would probably have to opt for a 1-year extension for reason of retirement, as the application for Marriage extension does require divisional HQ approval (which is more difficult and expensive as it requires 'connections' at both local and division level, as well as two 'brown envelopes'). 

Hope this helps and wish you luck in sorting it out.

Get PR...

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

There are flights out though, and still spaces available on them.

This is going to be a dream come true for immigration. Clear out all the visa runners in one fell swoop.

Correct, but some people cannot afford to purchase 4 different tickets, potentially canceled, and await reimbursement....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Nearly impossible unless you work here and have paid taxes for three plus years, are a company director etc.

I guess I awaited this very predictable answer as I am one of them, but ultimately it is the solution..

5 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Correct, but some people cannot afford to purchase 4 different tickets, potentially canceled, and await reimbursement....

Then they should be speaking to their relatives, friends and Embassy for advice and planning to leave immediately.

They don't really want to be here and short of funds when :hit-the-fan:

5 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

I guess I awaited this very predictable answer as I am one of them, but ultimately it is the solution..

It's a solution for serious and savvy people that have planned well ahead and possibly want Thai citizenship in the future.

Not for folk that don't have proper visas or proper jobs in Thailand, sit about in bars, don't assimilate, don't have Thai friends, don't speak the language, etc.

There's a reason it is so difficult.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I came here in my early 20's, now been 30 years here which is more than half my life. Own a very profitable business. Hold PR. Speak, read and write Thai fluently. 

My turn to guess. You are a 'retiree' here for cheap sex and the weather?

Your derogatory comments about the country speak volumes. 

Thankfully you're a dying breed and visa restrictions, insurance and other measures will squeeze you and your ilk out.

Chok dee.

Pettiness prevails

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bestie said:

It's always the same game between falangs. "Look my car, my house, my wife/husband, my money, my visa. Im feeling so good now look at you"

I really can't take this anymore. 

Is it a foreign retiree in Thailand.  So many seem bitter  and egocentric. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

@bkkexplorer

I responded in my post #186 with some suggestions.

But as I do not know your Visa situation these suggestions are of a general kind.

For a more personalized specific response, do respond to the 3 questions mentioned higher.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

@bkkexplorer

I responded in my post #184 with some suggestions.

But as I do not know your Visa situation these suggestions are of a general kind.

For a more personalized specific response, do respond to the 3 questions mentioned higher.

I'm the guy who started another thread 'Unsuccessful trip to CW today for a Non O' btw. To answer your questions. 1. I live in Bangkok and go to CW. 2. I arrived with visa exempt, extended a 30 day tourist and later a 60 day spouse which expired in April. I'm now on the amnesty visa. 3. 48yrs, UK citizen.

7 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

I appreciate your presence here @Peter Denis. Don't let the bitter. and petty bickering make you leave. Many people need and benefit from your advice. Rest assured that you are not the only one who is fed up with this nonsense.

+1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Pettiness prevails

Nah, it's as I said, he's broke, worked all his life here, no savings, no pension.

Still working in his 50s (I'd retired by 45).

Will be working until he drops, assuming COVID doesn't ruin him.

Jealous of those that are fully funded.

Sort of understandable.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, bkkexplorer said:

I'm the guy who started another thread 'Unsuccessful trip to CW today for a Non O' btw. To answer your questions. 1. I live in Bangkok and go to CW. 2. I arrived with visa exempt, extended a 30 day tourist and later a 60 day spouse which expired in April. I'm now on the amnesty visa. 3. 48yrs, UK citizen.

Thanks for response.

But you are really in a dreadful situation.

With your 30-days and 60-days extension already used, and not being eligible for a 'retirement' Visa, being under 50 years of age, nor being able to make use of the Embassy foreign income statement option as UK citizen, there is only 1 option left but even that option has a very small chance of success.

Your only possible option left is applying for the 1-year Non Imm O spouse Visa.

But that would require that 2 conditions are met:

a) That the IO where you apply is willing to accept your application for that Visa, with your current permission to stay expired already and you now being on the Amnesty extension.

Several offices already indicated that they are not willing to accept your application when not on a valid extension of stay.

Not sure whether CW would be willing to accept it, so you need to enquire there.

In case CW does not accept your application, you could check the Forum for posts of people in a similar situation as yourself and where the IO was more accomodating and willing to accept the application.  Temporarily relocating to that province could then be an option, and doing the application there.  That would require a rental contact from a place in that province and filing a TM30 (or TM27) to officially relocate to that new address.

>>> BUT even so you would then face the next hurdle and that being

b) That you need to file the application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage at least 15 days (some IOs require 23 days) before your current permission to stay (the Amnesty one) expires.  

So if the Amnesty is not extended, you cannot meet that requirement anymore.

And applying at your Embassy for a statement that you cannot go to your home-country, will probably not be accepted by IO for a special permission to stay, as there are flights to UK.  And on top of that your UK embassy is still closed and might not even provide you such a statement.

Conclusion > If the Amnesty is not prolonged, and no 'special' extensions of stay options are announced (which even if available, would most probably not be applicable for those on VisaExempt of TouristVisa), you have no option but to prepare for having to leave Thailand before the end of the Amnesty.

Note: You might be able to buy some extra time by applying in the last days of the Amnesty for an extension.  That application would obviously be refused as you do not meet the requirements, but the normal practice is then that IO will provide you with 7 days (or shorter) to arrange your things and exit Thailand.  That 7 days is not an 'extension', but simply a grace period to enable you to leave Thailand.

I do hope for your that the Amnesty will be extended, and that at the moment when it stops, land-borders are open again without too many hoops for entry/re-entry.

I see a more wide reaching issue here that we are going to be living with and trying to manage this COVID-19 global pandemic for years to come.

So the immigration issues we are now dealing with could just be magnified significantly over the coming years until the only Farangs left standing in Thailand are the ones with valid non-tourist visas meeting all the legal and financial requirements around residency here.

The rest of the unfortunates leave, be deported, be detained or hide out from immigration as illegal aliens.

It will be a mass clean out of encumbered foreigners based on Thailand's strict conditions of any foreigner residing here or entering the country in the future.

"Thailand tourist industry to die a slow and painful death." 

37 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for response.

But you are really in a dreadful situation.

With your 30-days and 60-days extension already used, and not being eligible for a 'retirement' Visa, being under 50 years of age, nor being able to make use of the Embassy foreign income statement option as UK citizen, there is only 1 option left but even that option has a very small chance of success.

Your only possible option left is applying for the 1-year Non Imm O spouse Visa.

But that would require that 2 conditions are met:

a) That the IO where you apply is willing to accept your application for that Visa, with your current permission to stay expired already and you now being on the Amnesty extension.

Several offices already indicated that they are not willing to accept your application when not on a valid extension of stay.

Not sure whether CW would be willing to accept it, so you need to enquire there.

In case CW does not accept your application, you could check the Forum for posts of people in a similar situation as yourself and where the IO was more accomodating and willing to accept the application.  Temporarily relocating to that province could then be an option, and doing the application there.  That would require a rental contact from a place in that province and filing a TM30 (or TM27) to officially relocate to that new address.

>>> BUT even so you would then face the next hurdle and that being

b) That you need to file the application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage at least 15 days (some IOs require 23 days) before your current permission to stay (the Amnesty one) expires.  

So if the Amnesty is not extended, you cannot meet that requirement anymore.

And applying at your Embassy for a statement that you cannot go to your home-country, will probably not be accepted by IO for a special permission to stay, as there are flights to UK.  And on top of that your UK embassy is still closed and might not even provide you such a statement.

Conclusion > If the Amnesty is not prolonged, and no 'special' extensions of stay options are announced (which even if available, would most probably not be applicable for those on VisaExempt of TouristVisa), you have no option but to prepare for having to leave Thailand before the end of the Amnesty.

Note: You might be able to buy some extra time by applying in the last days of the Amnesty for an extension.  That application would obviously be refused as you do not meet the requirements, but the normal practice is then that IO will provide you with 7 days (or shorter) to arrange your things and exit Thailand.  That 7 days is not an 'extension', but simply a grace period to enable you to leave Thailand.

I do hope for your that the Amnesty will be extended, and that at the moment when it stops, land-borders are open again without too many hoops for entry/re-entry.

CW IO told me I couldn't apply and added "don't worry, the government will not leave you without options, they know what to do."  Very reassuring, NOT!. Relocating sounds complicated and not sure where to start. Anyone reading,.. please do share experiences or knowledge of IO in provinces that would do this...

Thanks for taking the time to response Peter, keeping my hopes up but really worrisome tbh.

• Thanks 1