Foreigners in Thailand eagerly await clarification regarding visa amnesty

webfact

15 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

CW IO told me I couldn't apply and added "don't worry, the government will not leave you without options, they know what to do."  Very reassuring, NOT!. Relocating sounds complicated and not sure where to start. Anyone reading,.. please do share experiences or knowledge of IO in provinces that would do this...

Thanks for taking the time to response Peter, keeping my hopes up but really worrisome tbh.

I did not read this whole thread, but if you have the funds, an agent could probably "work-around" all this.  But it is expensive if you are under-50 / have family here - ~35K+ in Bangkok / CW.  It's a bit less elsehwere, but still close to double what you pay if "retired" / over-50.

There is no legal reason CW cannot let you apply for a Non-O 90-Day "Change of Visa Type" if you meet the financials.  It is over 15 days until the amnesty ends. 

Agents bypass the financials and other obstacles - in this case, including the "but you are on the covid-extension now, so cannot" invented-obstacle. 

16 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I did not read this whole thread, but if you have the funds, an agent could probably "work-around" all this.  But it is expensive if you are under-50 / have family here - ~35K+ in Bangkok / CW.  It's a bit less elsehwere, but still close to double what you pay if "retired" / over-50.

There is no legal reason CW cannot let you apply for a Non-O 90-Day "Change of Visa Type" if you meet the financials.  It is over 15 days until the amnesty ends. 

Agents bypass the financials and other obstacles - in this case, including the "but you are on the covid-extension now, so cannot" invented-obstacle. 

If the Amnesty is not extended, time is not on his side.

He needs to apply at least 15 days before his permission to stay expires (some offices require 23 days), so he would need to apply TODAY or ultimately TOMORROW, and not sure whether he has all the required documents for the application (and meets the financial requirements).

4 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

ThaiVisa Forum has many sub-forums catering for everybody.

Personally, I shun the 'political' threads or the 'general interest' treads that just feature funny (?) tongue-in-cheek comments on News articles.  And as to be expected, the amount of pettiness and bickering on those threads is just stunning.

Unfortunately some of those keyboard warriors that have little or nothing to contribute like to extend their battlegrounds also to the more serious sub-forums like the Visa sub-forum or the DIY sub-forum.

Several people I know that can really contribute, have become desillusioned by the Forum in general and refrain from posting because of all the negativity.  I have to admit I am also on the brink of 'opting out' because same as @bestie remarked 'I really can't take this anymore'.

I think many people are tired with all those bad posters, negative, nasayers. 

Especially with the situation of travel restrictions or non-possible, combined with the visa situation, too many just show how poor minded they are.

No need to opt out maybe, i just see the "IGNORE USER" option when you go on user's image.

Will do that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

many people are tired with all those bad posters, negative, nasayers

And some are born as victims. 

Victim of the country if origin. 

Victim of the system. 

Victim of the bad posters/IO. 

The others are always to blame. 

Unable to bring their thing/life to order. 

Still two weeks to avoid IDC. 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

If the Amnesty is not extended, time is not on his side.

He needs to apply at least 15 days before his permission to stay expires (some offices require 23 days), so he would need to apply TODAY or ultimately TOMORROW, and not sure whether he has all the required documents for the application (and meets the financial requirements).

I have all the required documents including financials and had tried to apply 2 weeks ago. This is when IO told me that I could not apply because I was on the amnesty visa.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

The reason they mentioned is that my last granted visa ended in April and I'm now on amnesty visa: this application cannot be done whilst on amnesty visa.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

A multi entry non O based on marriage from Savanakhet Thai Consulate requires leaving on reaching 90 days. You can extend by 60 more in country. Then either leave or try for a 1 year extension requiring seasoned money in the bank or a steady income stream remitted to Thailand. Well all that's fine if it was part of your planning. If it wasn't because you intended to leave before the 60 day extension reached expiry but found you couldn't when the borders closed, so then relied on the amnesty, it appears you, like me have a problem.

I have a non-immigrant O visa based on a marriage, but a single entry one what I extended in April without problems. If I would have a multiple entry visa, also non-immigrant O I have to leave the country every 90 days? Well, then I have luck that I only have the single entry one and buy another single one if I want to go abroad for vacation. 

45 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

The reason they mentioned is that my last granted visa ended in April and I'm now on amnesty visa: this application cannot be done whilst on amnesty visa.

What they likely mean is, you cannot do it w/o an agent.  It's not "illegal" for them to do it - they just "won't" w/o an envelope.  Maybe they won't even with an agent/lawyer, but I'd be surprised.

Every office has certain categories of situations that are "agent only" services.  This includes many "have to go out for a new visa" situations (pre-covid, included Non-B and Non-ED cases), as well as certain types of income (for income-based extensions) and impossible-to-get landlord-docs or "landlord must come in" (when the landlord is overseas).

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

Non-B Multi Entry with 90 day max stay per stamp, can only extend to 1 year "no bounce" once you have 4 thai employees. You can do the math on how much that costs, and consider whether or not the economic crisis from Covid would have affected your ability to hire said people.

Imagine opening up a brand new business and being granted a visa in March - but needing to have 3 months of SSF payments and 4 thai employees before being able to get the extension.

There are plenty of reasons why it's simpler to do a border run than to jump through those impossible hoops - Thailand is not just tourist visa backpackers and old retired bar drinkers.

Exactly, I am on Non-B with WP and have 10 Thai staff, but I can't be bothered dealing with pompous immigration staff (last time I went there 3 times for the extension and got my time wasted over friviously things, i.e. not wearing a suit in the photograph.) so I just go on a short holiday every 90days, for the last several years it's been great, been to almost every country in Asia. 

But now not sure what the next step for me is if amnesty is not continued, hopefully some land borders open up.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 2:34 PM, Zikomat said:

Nothing is ridiculous about it. Things have not changed a lot since the last amnesty. People like you gave the same “smart” advice in the March. And many of those who have left in a hurry are now unable to return back to their families.

this is truly a sh1tst0rm, there is no easy solution. if you have a family, just stay put, immigration are doing extension, no big deal. if you are a tourist, time to go home, why in the hell someone want to persist in staying? 

11 hours ago, MarleyMarl said:

Exactly, I am on Non-B with WP and have 10 Thai staff, but I can't be bothered dealing with pompous immigration staff (last time I went there 3 times for the extension and got my time wasted over friviously things, i.e. not wearing a suit in the photograph.) so I just go on a short holiday every 90days, for the last several years it's been great, been to almost every country in Asia. 

But now not sure what the next step for me is if amnesty is not continued, hopefully some land borders open up.

but time has changed, time to adapt to the new normal BS.

Would be nice to see Thailand reform policies that require useless “border bounces” and trips to the immigration office... then start looking into what they are really wanting to achieve in terms of policy.  Greater transparency and reducing all the different ways you can approach “non resident” status down to more logical options would go a long way. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 5:11 PM, Myran said:

I wouldn't call it "simply", but yes, you can extend it at the immigration office for the location your staying in (or should be able to, if your current extension of stay hasn't expired yet. Otherwise, you'll have to check with your immigration office).

You need to have 400k baht in the bank for at least two months or an income of 40k per month. You'll also need a bunch of documents, like the original marriage certificate, an up-to-date kor ror 2 (varies from office to office), copies of your wife's tabian baan, etc., as well as pictures of yourself and your wife at home. Make sure to look up the requirements for your specific office.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I will be testing it out tomorrow!

On 7/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, Peter Denis said:

You would have to enquire at you Khap Cheong IO whether they would accept your application for a 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, with your current permission to stay expired.

Some offices will do it, others will not.

In case your Khap Cheong IO is not willing to accept your application for the 1-year extension, you could ask whether they would be willing to accept an application for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife.  That is of course, if you did not already 'use up' that 60-day extension, as you are only allowed one per entry.

In case they accept such application, your problems are over.  Because you would then be able to apply for the 1-year extension of stay, because you would then do it from a 'valid' permission to stay you got from the 60 day extension (instead of doing it from the Amnesty extension, which they might refuse).

You would need to apply when you have at least 15 days left (some IOs require 23 days) before the permission to stay from that 60-day extension expires.  It will also give you the time to meet the 2 month seasoning requirements of your funds when applying for the 1-year extension of stay.

In case Khap Cheong IO is a 'hardliner' IO and does NOT accept ANY extension of stay application, when your permission to stay has expired, you could consider temporary relocating to a province that is more accomodating.

You would then need a 'rental agreement' from the place where you are temporary relocating, as IO will not accept a 'night before Hotel booking' application.  But you would not be forced to physically relocate if you prefer staying at your current location, and only need the rental agreement to secure the 60-day extension of stay application.

Hope this helps and success!

Thanks for that detailed and informative response. When we went there around the time of the amnesty, the IO were helpful and friendly but advised me to wait ... I will go back tomorrow and see what's what. A friend of mine uses the same office and he seems always to have 60 day visas ... your answer might help me to understand why he does that!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, todlad said:

Thanks for that detailed and informative response. When we went there around the time of the amnesty, the IO were helpful and friendly but advised me to wait ... I will go back tomorrow and see what's what. A friend of mine uses the same office and he seems always to have 60 day visas ... your answer might help me to understand why he does that!

You can only get one 60-days extension of stay (for reason of visiting your wife/dependant child), per entry.  If your Khap Cheong IO confirms that they will accept such a 60-day extension application (most IOs will accept it), just wait till the last days of the Amnesty to do it.

In case the Amnesty is extended, you then will still have this 'rescue line' available for later use.

22 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for response.

But you are really in a dreadful situation.

With your 30-days and 60-days extension already used, and not being eligible for a 'retirement' Visa, being under 50 years of age, nor being able to make use of the Embassy foreign income statement option as UK citizen, there is only 1 option left but even that option has a very small chance of success.

Your only possible option left is applying for the 1-year Non Imm O spouse Visa.

But that would require that 2 conditions are met:

a) That the IO where you apply is willing to accept your application for that Visa, with your current permission to stay expired already and you now being on the Amnesty extension.

Several offices already indicated that they are not willing to accept your application when not on a valid extension of stay.

Not sure whether CW would be willing to accept it, so you need to enquire there.

In case CW does not accept your application, you could check the Forum for posts of people in a similar situation as yourself and where the IO was more accomodating and willing to accept the application.  Temporarily relocating to that province could then be an option, and doing the application there.  That would require a rental contact from a place in that province and filing a TM30 (or TM27) to officially relocate to that new address.

>>> BUT even so you would then face the next hurdle and that being

b) That you need to file the application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage at least 15 days (some IOs require 23 days) before your current permission to stay (the Amnesty one) expires.  

So if the Amnesty is not extended, you cannot meet that requirement anymore.

And applying at your Embassy for a statement that you cannot go to your home-country, will probably not be accepted by IO for a special permission to stay, as there are flights to UK.  And on top of that your UK embassy is still closed and might not even provide you such a statement.

Conclusion > If the Amnesty is not prolonged, and no 'special' extensions of stay options are announced (which even if available, would most probably not be applicable for those on VisaExempt of TouristVisa), you have no option but to prepare for having to leave Thailand before the end of the Amnesty.

Note: You might be able to buy some extra time by applying in the last days of the Amnesty for an extension.  That application would obviously be refused as you do not meet the requirements, but the normal practice is then that IO will provide you with 7 days (or shorter) to arrange your things and exit Thailand.  That 7 days is not an 'extension', but simply a grace period to enable you to leave Thailand.

I do hope for your that the Amnesty will be extended, and that at the moment when it stops, land-borders are open again without too many hoops for entry/re-entry.

Can't he get an education visa Peter?

On 7/14/2020 at 3:57 PM, david555 said:

My personal guess is : …. they not give another  amnesty . BUT a 30 day 's to settle your stay ,by  visa ext. or whatever document  has to be arranged , with maybe possible temporary solutions not needing a border hopping for it ,and  in last resort leave Thailand in the 30 days

Yes, that would be the sensible way, but they would say: you think too mut .

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, todlad said:

MY APOLOGIES > I made a mistake in my original response to you, but luckily it makes things easier for you.

I wrote >

You would need to apply when you have at least 15 days left (some IOs require 23 days) before the permission to stay from that 60-day extension expires.  It will also give you the time to meet the 2 month seasoning requirements of your funds when applying for the 1-year extension of stay.

This is not correct > When applying for the 1-year permission to stay based on your original Non Imm O Visa, you can do this till the last day before the permission to stay from your 60-day extension expires.

It is only when applying for the Non Imm O Visa (from a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry) that you need to do the application 15 (or) 23 days before the permission to stay expires from that Visa Entry or 60-day extension you applied for.  But you are not in that case.

So you will have no problem whatsoever meeting the 2-months seasoning requirement of the funds when applying applying for the 1-year permission to stay.

Once again my apologies, for the possible confusion I created...

22 minutes ago, Varrius said:

Exactly.  I have a non O multi Marriage valid to the 15th of October. Yet I cannot service that visa and get my last 90 days as I cannot cross a border.  Immigration says wait and see. They haven't got a clue.

The Visa agents must think its Christmas! Or perhaps that the idea.

The 90-day permission to stay from all those that entered Thailand on a 1-year ME Non Imm O marriage Visa already expired.  If they also already applied for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting their wife/dependant child during the Amnesty, and the permission to stay from that 60-day extension in mean time also expired already, they are now on the Amnesty extension and don't have any options left.

Enquiring at their local IO about their Visa situation and options, is recommended.

When

a) the land-borders are not opened by the end of the Amnesty, and

b) the Amnesty is not extended or

c) there are no provisions for a 'special' extension of stay announced,

they would have to leave the country before end of the Amnesty (or face overstay). 

They can 'buy' some extra days by applying for an extension in the final days of the Amnesty, which will not be accepted, but IO will then grant them a 7 days (or less) 'grace period' (it is not an extension) to arrange their affairs and leave the country (on a flight when land-borders still closed).

An option of the last resort when all else fails is to engage a Fixer Agent...

Note: Given that almost impossible situation, a last-minute solution by Immigration to cater for these unfortunates is to be expected.

16 minutes ago, young Farrang said:

I have been living/traveling between Vietnam/Cambodia/Macau/Bali/Thailand for 7 year with a maximum of 90 days at each location. I consider them all my home, but Thailand just happened to be my last destination before everything closed down. If the Amnesty is not extended I will be forced to travel back to Europe where I have not been for at least 7 years with no family, home nor any people i am in touch with. It is unreasonable to assume that everyone can just return "home" to the country their passport happens to be from.

As long as all land borders are closed, and the nearest place that would allow entry is 8000 km away, it seems absurd to end the amnesty at this point. I will gladly pay any extension fee, report about my whereabouts, and I would gladly leave the country if there were reasonable options to travel to, but as 95% of the world is still closed (including the Thai borders) that is not the case.

Cambodia is open now via air travel.

2 minutes ago, young Farrang said:

Who is allowed to enter? do you have some recent sources I can get some more information?

According to the US embassy, Cambodia is still not issuing short stay/tourist visas - https://kh.usembassy.gov/new-cambodia-entry-requirements-and-covid-19-update/ 

Cambodia
Published 02.07.2020
1. All visa exemptions, visas on arrival and e-visas are suspended.
- This does not apply to passengers with a diplomatic visa (Visa A) or an official visa (Visa B) issued by Cambodia.
2. Passengers must have a medical certificate with a negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) test result issued at most 72 hours before arrival.
- This does not apply to nationals of Cambodia.
- This does not apply to passengers with a diplomatic visa (Visa A) or an official visa (Visa B) issued by Cambodia.
3. Passengers must have a proof of insurance policy with a minimum value of USD 50,000. They must deposit USD 3,000 at a designated bank on arrival.
- This does not apply to nationals of Cambodia with a foreign passport and a Visa K entry permit issued by Cambodia.
4. Passengers are subject to medical screening and quarantine for 14 days.

Edited by ThailandRyan

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:
Cambodia
Published 02.07.2020
1. All visa exemptions, visas on arrival and e-visas are suspended.
2. Passengers must have a medical certificate with a negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) test result issued at most 72 hours before arrival.
3. Passengers must have a proof of insurance policy with a minimum value of USD 50,000. They must deposit USD 3,000 at a designated bank on arrival.
- This does not apply to nationals of Cambodia with a foreign passport and a Visa K entry permit issued by Cambodia.
4. Passengers are subject to medical screening and quarantine for 14 days.

The Government of Cambodia has suspended the e-visa and visa-on-arrival programs until further notice. In addition, we understand Cambodian Embassies will only accept applications for diplomatic, official, and business visas and will not issue tourist or other visas to enter Cambodia at this time.

-They will only accept diplomatic/official and business visa applications