Retirement Extention

I went to Jomtien Immigration today for my annual retirement extension. I have been doing it for 8 years with 800,000 baht in the bank,,, everything was in order, then was told I need Health Insurance,, surprise, surprise. I am now trying to get the cheapest LMG insurance. I am married to a Thai lady and we have a little girl. If I did the married extension would I still need insurance ? I came to Thailand from Canada 10 years ago on a Non-OA visa.

The Non-OA visa you entered on many years ago is why you need insurance.

You can apply for a one year extension based upon marriage that does not require insurance. You will only need 400k baht in the bank to apply for it and no need to keep it the bank for 3 months either.

• Like 2

Just now, glegolo said:

Yes, you have A Non  O-A which your extensions was based on, so you need to get another VISA, NOT O-A, to get away from that health insurance demand

He is married to a Thai so he can apply for an extension based upon marriage that does not require insurance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He is married to a Thai so he can apply for an extension based upon marriage that does not require insurance.

Great, so now I  know that. Thought that what you have as a base VISA-wise was what matters....

thanks

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

OP, as Ubonjoe mentioned base extension on marriage means you do not require insurance. However given the timing and fact you would have everything in place for you extension based on retirement you could still consider that option. If you go down that path just be aware that the insurance policy would need to commence day of application. I would have insurance start day prior to application. @Peter Denis

This guy can advise you on insurance cost etc if required. 

Thank-you gentlemen for the reply's. I am in the process of getting LMG insurance for 7700 baht, but next year I will do the Marriage extension. Could someone give me a link for the documents for a marriage visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, next year when you go down extension married I suggest you stick with the money in bank option. 

Someone on marriage extensions will be along with requirements. Perhaps indicate your immigration office as some have their quirks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ninafarm said:

Thank-you gentlemen for the reply's. I am in the process of getting LMG insurance for 7700 baht, but next year I will do the Marriage extension. Could someone give me a link for the documents for a marriage visa.

Hi, I did PM you some practical information on where/how to apply for the cheap 'throw-away'  LMG Insurance Plan 1 policy (with 200K deductible), including some tips & caveats.

> In order to access your PM messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum

Thank-you Peter, a Broker is processing the LMG insurance now, says it will take 3-4 days. I will then need a new letter from my bank and go back to Jomtien immigration. Next year I will definitely go the marriage route,, I never did before because I brought money over from Canada every year to live on and it was always in the bank and always more than the 800,000 baht needed. I have been married to a Thai lady many years and have a 7 yr old daughter and son and daughter from her previous marriage. I also help support her family in Buriram and I'm happy to be part of their family, they are beautiful people. I knew about the changes regarding medical insurance last year but didn't think it applied to me, only people getting a new O A non resident visa, so I was quite shocked when told I needed Thai insurance. Anyway thanks again for all the info, I learn something new everyday.

• Thanks 1