Thailand changes entry rules after new COVID-19 cases spark second wave fear

snoop1130

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I haven't read this news anywhere? Where does it come from?

From June 20, 2020:

https://bangkokherald.com/coronavirus/new-evidence-casts-doubts-on-accuracy-of-thailands-official-coronavirus-statistics/

"The second piece of evidence comes courtesy of the Public Health Ministry itself, which said the Disease Control Department has nearly completed testing of Thailand’s at-risk population and found no infections.

Dr. Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, the department’s director-general, said the ministry has conducted nearly 100,000 coronavirus tests on medical personnel, delivery people, public-transport officials, prison guards, inmates, mail carriers, migrant workers and those working in public and entertainment venues.

That high-risk population was tested randomly using statistical sampling methods with everyone receiving the most-accurate Reverse Transcription PCR test. He said 80 percent of those tested were found to be virus-free.

The real news, however, involves the other 20 percent. These approximately 20,000 people were all found to have coronavirus antibodies, meaning they had been exposed to, or even infected with, the coronavirus but never developed symptoms serious enough to warrant a doctor’s visit."

For whatever reason the Nation and Bangkok Post did not run with it. The whole article is an interesting read. This was 20,000 from one random sample of 100,000 high risk workers. What's the true number of people with covid antibodies for the entire nation?

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Time to grow said:

Holding out for tourism to resume is a loosing bet. There is increasing evidence that humans are susceptible to contracting Corona Virus more than once. Apparently, antibodies only last six weeks, give or take. This means there will be no herd immunity or vaccine due to the loss of antibodies. This virus is not going away which will have truly profound implications worldwide. We are in a new paradigm and the sooner the masses figure this out, the better off they will be. Hotels, restaurants, airlines, cruise ships, and supporting industries are finished but the list will be much bigger. What was, is not coming back, ever...

This is true, here is an article on the antibodies sticking around for a short time https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/studies-report-rapid-loss-of-covid-19-antibodies-67650

Part of the problem is testing is not that great at the moment, false positives, false negatives, one persons antibodies against the virus may have a slightly different structure than the next guys antibodies.  While the site on the antibody that is effective against COVID-SARS-2 is there, the site on the antibody that binds for testing to show positive or negative may vary from individual to individual.

I kind of look at this like polio.  The world did not shut down because of it.  It was accepted that it was part of the risk of being alive and the world soldiered on until a real vaccine was finally found and thoughtfully deployed.  Common sense hygiene of a mask, hand washing/sterilizing, stay home if you are sick, etc.. will go a long way to keep the hospitals from being overloaded until a true and verified vaccine is ready.  Yes, there will be casualties.  But we should not shut down the world because of it.  The cat is already out of the bag.  It is now part of the world environment like the flu and probably should be looked at the same way.  I for one would not want to be the first to try an under evaluated rapidly deployed vaccine and no one else I have spoken with will either.

5 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

I for one would not want to be the first to try an under evaluated rapidly deployed vaccine and no one else I have spoken with will either.

Your the doctor so maybe you can tell me, how does a vaccine work if antibodies are not retained for more than a couple months? 

17 hours ago, Trujillo said:

If Thailand thinks "no cases" going forward is the aim, don't expect (as a foreigner) to be able to leave the country and ever come back. 

I'm dreading having an emergency in my home country that would necessitate my going there. How would I be able to gain re-entry? 

Yep, we´re locked up in "paradise".

Feels crazy now, doesn´t it ?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, ukrules said:

I don't think Thailand avoided the mass spread of COVID, I suspect it had a much earlier and less harmful variant of the disease circulating, people only noticed when it mutated into something much more irritating.

Remember, it had been circulating for months before anyone noticed it.

And which "people" would that be, certainly not the Thais.

I took the train from BKK to Malaysia on 5th Feb and the "people" were well aware, nearly everyone on the train was wearing masks. At the border there were "people" in hazard suits doing temperature checks, "people" were being made to use hand sanitiser and fingerprint machines used by "people" cleaned each time there were used.

An item on the DDC website said temperature screening of "people" arriving at borders had been introduced early January.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sandyf said:

And which "people" would that be, certainly not the Thais.

I took the train from BKK to Malaysia on 5th Feb and the "people" were well aware, nearly everyone on the train was wearing masks. At the border there were "people" in hazard suits doing temperature checks, "people" were being made to use hand sanitiser and fingerprint machines used by "people" cleaned each time there were used.

An item on the DDC website said temperature screening of "people" arriving at borders had been introduced early January.

It would have been long before January. Excess deaths seem to have started in May 2019. Last quarter 2019 certainly, first case was diagnosed early January after CCP released the genome details.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It would have been long before January. Excess deaths seem to have started in May 2019. Last quarter 2019 certainly, first case was diagnosed early January after CCP released the genome details.

As well as this forum, I am sure there is many an expert would be interested in the information leading to that interpretation.

First confirmation of covid in Thailand was 13th January.

My niece is an intern at a large hospital in BKK and as she did her degree in China she was seconded to deal with the influx of concerned Chinese patients following the news from China at the end of Dec, none of which tested positive. Middle of March before her hospital saw a positive case.

Blatant misinformation to say the virus was circulating for months before anyone noticed it.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

As well as this forum, I am sure there is many an expert would be interested in the information leading to that interpretation.

First confirmation of covid in Thailand was 13th January.

My niece is an intern at a large hospital in BKK and as she did her degree in China she was seconded to deal with the influx of concerned Chinese patients following the news from China at the end of Dec, none of which tested positive. Middle of March before her hospital saw a positive case.

Blatant misinformation to say the virus was circulating for months before anyone noticed it.

https://github.com/nytimes/covid-19-data/blob/master/excess-deaths/deaths.csv

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-in-wuhan-fall-satellite-data-internet-searches-2020-6

As for anything Chinese, treat as lies until proven by a western 3rd party. That's just how CCP rolls. The genome was only published 10. Jan. 2020. What did they test for/with in December then, eh?

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, DrTuner said:

https://github.com/nytimes/covid-19-data/blob/master/excess-deaths/deaths.csv

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-in-wuhan-fall-satellite-data-internet-searches-2020-6

As for anything Chinese, treat as lies until proven by a western 3rd party. That's just how CCP rolls. The genome was only published 10. Jan. 2020. What did they test for/with in December then, eh?

And that relates to circulating in Thailand for months before anyone noticed, how exactly?

23 minutes ago, sandyf said:

And that relates to circulating in Thailand for months before anyone noticed, how exactly?

Thailand was the #1 non-Chinese destination for tourists from Wuhan. The virus would have been here, carried by those tourists, mere days or hours after it spread in Wuhan.

The excess death data shows the excess deaths started in November 2019 ( I did some analysis of my own ). Given the time to die from infection, first ones would have been here in October.

Edited by DrTuner