Thailand changes entry rules after new COVID-19 cases spark second wave fear

snoop1130

5 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

Well just goes to show unless your in supervised quarantine there will always be some dick that will break the rules.

They should announce that there will be jail time for breaking quarantine rules. In Singapore, a FexEx pilot got 4 weeks jail time.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/2020-05-15-coronavirus-news-n1207106/ncrd1208401#blogHeader

"FedEx pilot Brian Dugan Yeargan, 44, of Alaska, was sentenced to four weeks Wednesday after he pleaded guilty to leaving his hotel room for three hours to buy masks and a thermometer, defense lawyer Ronnie Tan said."

20 hours ago, Yinn said:

Thai must stay home, loose the job, close the business, but the government/army allow government/army foreigners not quarantine. 

Why?

Deleted Idiots. 

Totally!!!  the important people cant get infected right? shows the way things are been understood....

5 hours ago, Miami007 said:

If leaders always listened to public opinion women would not vote, we would have segregation in the USA etc etc..

Experts on CNN stated today that this virus will be with us for at least until 2022.. and that we will have to learn how to live with the virus. It won't disappear like Sars as it is not that lethal... 

The world can not isolate for 2 years unless we accept a big decline in living standards for poor and middle class.. 

Blah blah... they think talking makes them important when they dont know nothing!

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I know your situation and hope that doesn’t happen. Given the extra hoops you have to jump through those returning spouses are less likely to spread infection than returning Thais. But this of course is not the Land of Logic...

Of course it will, its them that are to blame, not the VIP's!!

45 minutes ago, gamini said:

Fair enough but at least they should respect quarantine regulations and not behave like the Egyptian soldier

I can almost guarantee that they will not.  Interesting point; my crews would only make the effort to go shopping in the likes of Paris, New York and London. Why would they possibly wish to go shopping for the tat that sells in Thailand, T shirts, shorts and knock off trainers, I think Thailand is fairly safe from that possibility.  

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

okay

you clearly haven't seen the report that the PM is considering stopping the exemptions and imposing  14 days for all arrivals, including ship crews and aircraft crews, but of course, you just throw out the remark that I am making it up, why I would do such a thing you don't bother to consider.  

You are quite right, I haven't seen any official notification from the PM. Until that happens, it is nothing more than a rumour, but you have tried to make it up to more than that.

Even if it does happen it will have happened and all your reasons why it shouldn't happen will have meant nothing.

Despite what you think should happen, there is no justification for not isolating all arrivals.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are quite right, I haven't seen any official notification from the PM. Until that happens, it is nothing more than a rumour, but you have tried to make it up to more than that.

Even if it does happen it will have happened and all your reasons why it shouldn't happen will have meant nothing.

Despite what you think should happen, there is no justification for not isolating all arrivals.

I don't understand a word of that. Excuse my asking, but what do you think that forums like this are for?  They are for debate and the exchange of views and  opinions as well as passing on of useful information. 

Edited by Pilotman

Number one this is a ridiculous amount of paranoia, fear mongering and panic over two contagious people.

Number two, Prayuth needs to resign. First the Lumpini boxing match. Now this? Are all contagions here the result of army neglect and malfeasance?

• Like 2

They should have been tested for covid19 at the airport and put in Government quarantine. They bypassed both. When it was discovered that they had been out and about they initially refused to be tested. The Egyptian Embassy had to be reigned in to tell them to be tested. Hi-sos exist even outside of Thailand. The Thai Government has now sent a formal letter to all Embassies requiring their staff to undergo Government Quarantine when they arrive in Thailand. 3 army flights from Egypt have been banned from flying to Thailand. I for one agree with this. Why should I undergo strict quarantine and people from countries who have high rates of covid19 be free to roam around. The poor people of Rayong were looking forward to earning money from the reopening of Rayong and those hopes have been dashed by an ignorant soldier. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I don't understand a word of that. Excuse my asking, but what do you think that forums like this are for?  They are for debate and the exchange of views and  opinions as well as passing on of useful information. 

Your words certainly do not come under any description along those lines. More like trying to make up a justification on the basis of insider knowledge, and you have no idea if aircrew go shopping or not. 

This reader and many others do not need lectures on potential problems, enough real ones to deal with.

"That's not the problem, the problem is enforcing a 14 day quarantine on resting aircrew such that they cannot return to the airport to fly out.  Why don't people understand what 'quarantine' means, it means you  go to your place of quarantine and you stay there for the full 14 days.   Right now, aircrew arriving rest for their allotted time in allocated hotels ( not shopping) and then return to the airport, interacting with airport staff, immigration and their own ops staff and then fly out. Under the restrictions, if imposed, they would not be able to do this until after the 14 days, unless the exemption remains in place.  Now I hope readers understand the potential problem."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Your words certainly do not come under any description along those lines. More like trying to make up a justification on the basis of insider knowledge, and you have no idea if aircrew go shopping or not. 

This reader and many others do not need lectures on potential problems, enough real ones to deal with.

"That's not the problem, the problem is enforcing a 14 day quarantine on resting aircrew such that they cannot return to the airport to fly out.  Why don't people understand what 'quarantine' means, it means you  go to your place of quarantine and you stay there for the full 14 days.   Right now, aircrew arriving rest for their allotted time in allocated hotels ( not shopping) and then return to the airport, interacting with airport staff, immigration and their own ops staff and then fly out. Under the restrictions, if imposed, they would not be able to do this until after the 14 days, unless the exemption remains in place.  Now I hope readers understand the potential problem."

you've lost me there mate.  Have a good day.  

18 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

Then the third wave, and the fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh waves.

A second WAVE?! Thailand's first wave was only a tiny ripple, this scaremongering is so annoying and unnecessary. Open the borders and learn to live with this relatively small risk! And this is coming from the COVID survivor. Nothing pleasant but part of life in 2020 and beyond, get used to it Thaiand. Some vulnerable people may die, many more random people die on the roads every day and nobody talks about a WAVE.

• Haha 1

I am not panicking! Just remembering my Scouting days ... “Be Prepared” ... so stocked upon 18 liters of wine in case someone repeats the total alcohol ban again ... Yo! It is good for my heart ... medically and psychologically!

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

At least he admitted his mistake. Everyone should be subject to quarantine regardless of who they are ow what job they happen to be doing.

The virus doesn't discriminate, neither should the government, they should quarantine either all of them or none of them.

"At least he admitted his mistake."

That has got to be a first - can we now look forward to a new "lockdown" because of it, so that he can justify this never apparently never ending "state of Emergency"??

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, unheard said:

They don't have to be quarantined for 14 days.

They only need to be required under a very strict enforcement (if not already implemented) to stay in their quarantined rooms for the duration of their rest.

This is correct. Most airlines have their own policy in place which is to stay in your room the full duration, no gym, not even going to the restaurants. Room service only. 

On top that there are government restrictions. The Thai government should either fine the airline or ban them for a while or both. imo.

edit - In most cases (not Thailands), it's not to protect the general population from an infected crew, but the other way around.

Edited by ncc1701d

Covid will be us for many years lock down easy unlocking not easy politicians have to make brave decisions as eventually economy will become more important. Don't worry about Air Crew they will be minimal until borders opened up. What about 3,000 illegal entries into country (maybe much more) how are they being checked?

I wish the world had been as fortunate as Thailand in avoiding the spread of Covid-19. Having said that, I believe that there is over-reaction to a few cases.  Thailand should, in my opinion, look to see how it might be possible to create "safe corridors" for visiting tourists to stay in designated resorts and hotels. Thailand is losing too much income because of a virus that is not going to go away! So, are the restrictions going to remain for another year? That would be financial madness...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Already has. All international flights suspended until further notice. 

and not many jumbos still left in service many scrapped and mothballed along with 380s,plane breakers in the uk are smashing them up as no demand for spares

Thailand can carry on blocking entry to everyone. The Junta are as everyoner knows rascist and certainly do not want tourists.

What does it matter, they carry on as normal, every flight carries Covid 19, Thailand can go forward taking advice from N.Korea.

If Thailand thinks "no cases" going forward is the aim, don't expect (as a foreigner) to be able to leave the country and ever come back. 

I'm dreading having an emergency in my home country that would necessitate my going there. How would I be able to gain re-entry? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

I wonder if the news of the 20,000 out of 100,000 randomly tested at risk workers who tested positively in Thailand for covid antibodies would put people's minds more at ease

I haven't read this news anywhere? Where does it come from?

44 minutes ago, Puzzler said:

I wish the world had been as fortunate as Thailand in avoiding the spread of Covid-19.

I don't think Thailand avoided the mass spread of COVID, I suspect it had a much earlier and less harmful variant of the disease circulating, people only noticed when it mutated into something much more irritating.

Remember, it had been circulating for months before anyone noticed it.

• Like 2

A few facts: The number of under-60s who have died of Covid-19 with no pre-existing condition in English hospitals is 302.

The number of under 19-year-olds that have died in English hospitals from Covid-19 is 16 with underlying conditions, and 4 without.

Covid-19 has killed around 550,000 in more than 6 months worldwide, with the W.H.O. estimating that flu kills between 290,000 and 650,000 in a season.

This worldwide fixation on "cases" is quite odd. There is definitely something working in the background for otherwise intelligent people to "confuse" or conflate cases with deaths. Apparently, politics has become so polarizing that rational reasoning for the good of the people has been totally ignored. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, stouricks said:

That's a brilliant Malapropism! 

Unfortunately as this is TVF it is probably an illiterate-ism. 

Or, being generous a second language-ism. 

Edited by rott
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Think this through Thailand. If you stop aircrew from entering Thailand unless they go into quarantine, at a stroke, you will kill all international air traffic into the country. The vast majority of airlines, having arrived into Thailand, need to rest their flight crew for at least 24 to 36 hours  and then fly out. If they can't do this, they can't fly here, because the airlines will not 'double crew' just to save Thailand's ass.     

I thought the Egyptian crew man was a military man...what has that to do with Civil airline staff??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1