IO told me Visa Amnesty = overstay today refused conversion to Retirement without 29,500 "VIP" service!

22 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

ya needs to have the moneys in the bank when you apply.

no seasonings at that point.

they gives you the 90 stamp, then when you returns,

ya gots 90 days of seasonings.

when ya sets up your bank in bangkok or elsewise,

make sure ya's able to get both guarantee letters.

one will state the balance, the other will confirm the

moneys came from a broad.

Thanks.

I've had a Thai bank account for 11 years. Going to try to wire the money needed today (say "try" because my banks policy is in person to wire intl). If done, will likely head to Bangkok to try there.

1 hour ago, WuhanVagabond said:

Wow, a welcoming lot here.
MY understanding from the current thread about converting from Tourist to Retirement is that I should have been able to do this for 1,900 baht. That I would have the 3 months to get everything in order, get the 800.000 baht in a Thai bank and seasoned for 60 days, etc. That was UdonJoe's reply.

If this is something I should be able to do, as per the rules, for 1,900 baht, where am I trying to "beat the system"????????????????

The problem being that you're not on a tourist extension anymore, but the amnesty. You can't convert an extension of stay that you don't have, and the IO is not necessarily wrong.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WuhanVagabond said:

According to immigration agent sites, posts in the referenced thread, including resident expert Joe, the 800.000 has to be in and seasoned 60 days before the retirement visa, which is 3 months hence, not now. 

You're right, when applying for a non O extension, the money has to be seasoned for 60 days.....BUT.....you wanted to convert a Tourist visa to a 90 day non O to a one year retirement extension. It's using the 90 day non O to get that extension that requires the 60 day seasoning.

To qualify for the first part (tourist...to...non O) you must PROVE you qualify for a retirement extension so you must have the necessary documents AND funds in place (but with no seasoning needed) when you make the initial application. 

You, by your own admission clearly didn't. That's why your application was refused.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

You, by your own admission clearly didn't. That's why your application was refused.  

Incorrect.  I told the Io I could wire the money to ight and IO said it's no good because no 60 days (in contrast to their own fake 800.000, which doesn't require the same made up 60 days).

THIS is why the corruption really bothered me. Everything said was a lie to induce me to pay 15x what I should.

The fact that so many here are fine with this and are attacking me vs the lying corrupt IO is confusing and disappointing. 

2 hours ago, WuhanVagabond said:

Wow, a welcoming lot here.

Yes, it is a mix of agents, agent-users, and some who claim they "never had a problem," so we "in real world" foreigners must be 'conspiracy theorists' spinning tales about non-existent corruption in the RTP.

MY understanding from the current thread about converting from Tourist to Retirement is that I should have been able to do this for 1,900 baht.

2000 Baht for that - is a Non-O 90-day visa.

That I would have the 3 months to get everything in order, get the 800.000 baht in a Thai bank and seasoned for 60 days, etc. That was UdonJoe's reply.

Those are the "official rules," yes.  You would need the 800K in the bank on the day you apply.

The 60-days seasoned-money for a 90-day Non-O Fake-Rule is the same thing done in Jomtien by the "change of visa" desk, there.  You only need the money in That Day.  60-days seasoning is ONLY for a 1-year extension.

If this is something I should be able to do, as per the rules, for 1,900 baht, where am I trying to "beat the system"????????????????

2000 Baht - then 1900 Baht for the 1-year.  And, no, you were trying to do the honest thing.  Immigration HATE that. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

stop whinging and accept it or look another IO elsewhere.  Your complaining because you couldn't beat the system.

You must be on their payroll with your attitude towards corruption.

With your statement about “beating the system” you are right though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, WuhanVagabond said:

Thanks.

I've had a Thai bank account for 11 years. Going to try to wire the money needed today (say "try" because my banks policy is in person to wire intl). If done, will likely head to Bangkok to try there.

are you planning to wire the full 800K?  you're gonna need a bank guarantee letter to show the money came from a broad.  all of it.  not sure if a bangkok branch of the same bank would have access to the records for your various transfers over the years to other branches.  anything over 90 days i think means a trip to the branch maintaining the account (or may be possible with a 7-10 day process time). new transfers should be accessible immediately, you can get your letters at the banks downstairs at CW.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Wuhan, you didn't have 800k in the bank ....  seasoned for 2 months .... yet you wanted the immigration officer to work around that. 

You don't need seasoned-money for a Non-O 90-day visa. 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

You wanted him to process your application from a tourist visa to a non-0 based on retirement without everything in place.

Not true.  Did you read what he wrote?  He said he would wire the money and then apply.   The only inaccuracy was he thought it was 1900 baht for the Non-O-90-day, when it is actually 2000 Baht. 

The IO is corrupt, and would not let him get the Non-O for "retail price" - wanted 30K Baht, instead.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, it is a mix of agents, agent-users, and some who claim they "never had a problem," so we "in real world" foreigners must be 'conspiracy theorists' spinning tales about non-existent corruption in the RTP.

2000 Baht for that - is a Non-O 90-day visa.

Those are the "official rules," yes.  You would need the 800K in the bank on the day you apply.

The 60-days seasoned-money for a 90-day Non-O Fake-Rule is the same thing done in Jomtien by the "change of visa" desk, there.  You only need the money in That Day.  60-days seasoning is ONLY for a 1-year extension.

2000 Baht - then 1900 Baht for the 1-year.  And, no, you were trying to do the honest thing.  Immigration HATE that. 

Thank you.

And, Since you named it, I'll say it, Jomtien.  Female  IO officer.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

are you planning to wire the full 800K?  you're gonna need a bank guarantee letter to show the money came from a broad.  all of it.  not sure if a bangkok branch of the same bank would have access to the records for your various transfers over the years to other branches.  anything over 90 days i think means a trip to the branch maintaining the account (or may be possible with a 7-10 day process time). new transfers should be accessible immediately, you can get your letters at the banks downstairs at CW.

thanks. Didn't think of that. I'll wire 800,000+. Last wire was a long time ago.

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Being serious have these guys and girls not had long enough on overstay already. Thais have been incredibly generous in my opinion but now its time to get legal or get out by the 31st

Nobody can claim that there was no flights outbound....

whatever 'legal' is 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WuhanVagabond said:

Thank you.

Then that is indeed dim.  Why oh why don't you get a Pattaya agent to sort it for you? You are causing yourself unnecessary hassle. 

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Being serious have these guys and girls not had long enough on overstay already. Thais have been incredibly generous in my opinion but now its time to get legal or get out by the 31st

Nobody can claim that there was no flights outbound....

Ok.  When is the next flight to Vietnam or Malaysia?  I'll go to either of the following and get a fresh Non-O-ME Visa right away.

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

ya needs to have the moneys in the bank when you apply.

no seasonings at that point.

they gives you the 90 stamp, then when you returns,

ya gots 90 days of seasonings.

This IO didn't give him that option.  You are correct that he could try in Bangkok.

59 minutes ago, Pawpal said:

Any recommendations for an agent/agency, whether in Pattaya or elsewhere?

The Jomtien office (for Pattaya) has agent-partners working out of the same parking lot - on the left, when facing the entrance.  The lady in the "change of visa" desk works with them - is 15K Baht for the Non-O-90-day.  

But, when I was last there, better deals were found on Soi Bukow Rd just north of South Pattaya Rd - just past the curve.  There were signs out-front then.  Package deals were 25K or less, which includes both the 90-day visa and the 1-year extension.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I have read the first page of this thread and am utterly ashamed of the brash and vile reactions you got from TVF members on your experience.

Have to leave now, but will come back on this thread tomorrow morning and provide you with some helpful suggestions on how you could deal with this dreadful situation.

Ignore the negative comments, there are also members who will try to help you.

He shouldn't need your advice, he just needs a Pattaya or Bangkok based agent who knows what he/she is doing. He could get it sorted in 24 hours, if he just used a bit of common sense. 

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Then that is indeed dim.  Why oh why don't you get a Pattaya agent to sort it for you? You are causing yourself unnecessary hassle. 

You mean for 22,000 baht (best price I've heard here) PLUS Immigration having my passport for 30 days?!?

That's not my definition of sorted.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WuhanVagabond said:

I told the Io I could wire the money to ight and IO said it's no good because no 60 days

Last year (pre covid) I guided a friend through the same process as you are trying to do at Jomtien. What I did first though was go to Jomtien and ask exactly what was needed. They gave us a printed list of exactly what my mate needed to do.

10 minutes ago, WuhanVagabond said:

What I wrote in post 34 is exactly what Jomtien asked for...........and it was the female IO we dealt with.

Personally I'VE NEVER had a problem with Jomtien in nearly twenty years of using them.......BUT I've always gone in first to double check what the latest requirements are before making an application

Whatever office you are going to use, I would go there and ask for a written list of what exactly is required.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't think so. They all know what is going on. They pay for their promotions. Like the police and customs, this is a franchise. A very profitable one. Corruption exists at every level of government here. 

And the sad reality is, that most Thais are fine with it.  Because it keeps their taxes low and puts the burden on people who actually need the corrupt services.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

He shouldn't need your advice, he just needs a Pattaya or Bangkok based agent who knows what he/she is doing. He could get it sorted in 24 hours, if he just used a bit of common sense. 

It's not "common" where we come from, and not good "sense" there, unless you want a stint in prison on a felony.  But I get your point - may be his only option, unless the "automatic-extension" is extended.

The IO / system is clever, using the 15-day rule on "change of visa," leveraged with no "announcement" on extending the "covid extension," until it's "too late" to apply - so "better see an agent" right away.   Fits right in with that "immigration spokesman" "time to clear out" remark.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elephant45 said:

Quite a well written "STORY"........sounds to good to be true

I agree. The OP lost me when he mentioned a gun carrying IO. I've been to many immigration offices all over Thailand and I've never seen that. At land border crossings, yes, but never at in-country immigration offices. Sounds like a work of fiction to me.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It's not "common" where we come from, and not good "sense" there, unless you want a stint in prison on a felony.  But I get your point - may be his only option, unless the "automatic-extension" is extended.

The IO / system is clever, using the 15-day rule on "change of visa," leveraged with no "announcement" on extending the "covid extension," until it's "too late" to apply - so "better see an agent" right away.   Fits right in with that "immigration spokesman" "time to clear out" remark.

There is nothing illegal about using an agent to pave the way and overcome any 'administrative difficulties', so long as you stay within the immigration boundaries, whatever they happen to be on that day and in that Immigration office.  Many of us do it and it pays off. 

1 minute ago, john terry1001 said:

Peter Denis's advice will be much better than all the 'agent preferred' posts on here. He doesn't need to waste a lot of money on an agent, HE NEEDS GOOD, ACCURATE ADVICE.

People on here usually use an agent because they can't make a legal application themselves.

His card is marked, he needs an agent. 

2 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Last year (pre covid) I guided a friend through the same process as you are trying to do at Jomtien. What I did first though was go to Jomtien and ask exactly what was needed. They gave us a printed list of exactly what my mate needed to do.

I got one of those too, from the front-desk.  I met all the requirements, then returned and saw this IO.  She printed a very different list from the laser-printer on her desk, with no official-form number on it - which did not at all match what the "official list" (with official form #) said.

What I wrote in post 34 is exactly what Jomtien asked for...........and it was the female IO we dealt with.

In my experience years ago, same as what this guy was told, they want seasoned-money for the 90-day at that desk.   Many others have reported 15K in Cash quotes from that IO, for just the 90-days.

Personally I'VE NEVER had a problem with Jomtien in nearly twenty years of using them.......BUT I've always gone in first to double check what the latest requirements are before making an application

Retirement there is no problem.

Whatever office you are going to use, I would go there and ask for a written list of what exactly is required.

I tried that for Non-O-family in Jomtien and CW - they would not give me a printed list.  If they wrote it down, they could not change it to suit.  I have seen copies here of some officies who do provide a list.

But in our experience, my wife had to scribble things down as they made them up.  In Jomtien, we would go back, and they would add new things, and change the standard for old-things which were OK before  - and again - and again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WuhanVagabond said:

I don't want to say because, yes, I may end up taking the deal because of the unique situation in the world today.

It wasn't Udon Thani though. I'll leave it at that.

The place you are referring to begins with the letter N and that 'IO' IS a police man. He is a numpty. Don't listen to anything he says. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Peter Denis's advice will be much better than all the 'agent preferred' posts on here. He doesn't need to waste a lot of money on an agent, HE NEEDS GOOD, ACCURATE ADVICE.

People on here usually use an agent because they can't make a legal application themselves.

Those guidelines will work, if the OP applies in Bangkok (and some other offices) with money in the bank.  At Jomtien desk #7?  Unfortunately not.  With seasoned-money - maybe - but expect to make a few trips for "extra things."

Edited by JackThompson

18 minutes ago, WuhanVagabond said:

You mean for 22,000 baht (best price I've heard here) PLUS Immigration having my passport for 30 days?!?

That's not my definition of sorted.

You are being given good advice if you don't want to take it that is up to you . Just enjoy your final 18 days here .