IO told me Visa Amnesty = overstay today refused conversion to Retirement without 29,500 "VIP" service!

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I tried that for Non-O-family in Jomtien and CW - they would not give me a printed list.  If they wrote it down, they could not change it to suit.  I have seen copies here of some officies who do provide a list.

Here's the Jomtien list for a marriage/family extension. It is from last Dcember so you would need an updated version. Si Racha (which is also part of Chonburi Immigration use exactly the same list.1. Marriage ext req- Dec 19.pdf 

16 minutes ago, WuhanVagabond said:

Go to Jomtein and ask for a change of visa. They'll steer you to window 7 and you'll meet her and her handgun. You people are ridiculous. 

You need 800,000 Baht in the bank to apply for the conversion to Non Imm Visa plus 2,000 baht fee.

You will then need the 800,000 to be in the bank for 2 months to apply for the 12 month extension. Plus 1,900 Baht fee.

Don't bother to read most of the rubbish that has been written here.

I am surprised that most of it has not been deleted.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

I heard they charge 25k lol..

Only if you can't prove the money you use was seasoned 60 days in the opinion of Jomtien window 7. Then it's,  30, with the other 5 to her accomplice at Bangkok Bank (that's where I'd have to open an account)- but I must have made that up too....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

PS

It's usually 25k inclusive of everything.

I'm told it can be as low as 15k in Pattaya.

15 k from scratch for 15 months, I doubt that. More 20-22.5. Renewal agree about 14k for 12 months, but not for start of the process for 15 months

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JackThompson said:
24 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Last year (pre covid) I guided a friend through the same process as you are trying to do at Jomtien. What I did first though was go to Jomtien and ask exactly what was needed. They gave us a printed list of exactly what my mate needed to do.

I got one of those too, from the front-desk.  I met all the requirements, then returned and saw this IO.  She printed a very different list from the laser-printer on her desk, with no official-form number on it - which did not at all match what the "official list" (with official form #) said.

So, if her copy is different from the front desk version, take it away and produce another application that exactly fits her list. Simple.

29 minutes ago, Malawi said:

The price is 2,000 Baht for the conversion and 1,900 baht for the application.

Anything more is just a scam.

Off course  

But hes using an agent ...people do you know, it cuts corner saves putting money in bank etc etc   it works but it costs

My agent ( not Pattaya cheaper there i think ) from tourist visa to retirement charges 30 ish

Nothing to retirement is more of course 

normal renewal no visit to immigration  no money 18

So if you want to play Check around agents and Pay up or shut up 

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WuhanVagabond said:

You mean for 22,000 baht (best price I've heard here) PLUS Immigration having my passport for 30 days?!?

That's not my definition of sorted.

but maybe the best solution for that price

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

but he's a tourist, he can reside anywhere, and attend any office, right?....just check into a hotel and confirm he's registered in the nightly tm30 report.

If trying in Bangkok - which would work with 800K in the bank w/o seasoning - he would need to appear to be coming there to live.  I would travel there, apply from a hotel address, saying looking for a condo.  Get the hotel to print out the TM-30, if possible.  If Immigration say they will do it only with a longer-lease, THEN do the lease, and stay there until have the 1-year stamp.

This assumes they don't say he can't get it because he is on a covid extension.  Bangkok has been better than most, but I don't recall a case of Tourist extension -> Covid extension -> Non-O-90-days on-retirement reported yet.   Definitely worth a try.

Edited by JackThompson

4 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

HI,

I didn't had time yet to go through the full thread, so it is possible that my suggestions have already been addressed in previous responses.

There are 2 options left for you:

1 - Did you not already use up your 30-day extension of stay application that your VisaExempt entry provided you? 

Are you married to a thai national or have thai dependant children (which would enable you to apply for the 60-day extension of stay for family reasons, provided you did not already use it, as you can do this only once per entry)?

If the answer to one of these questions is YES, then there is a relatively easy solution for you.

There are confirmed reports of other IOs accepting an application for a new Non Imm O Visa , even with your present permission to stay expired.  And for sure they will do it if you first applied for a 30-day extension or a 60-day extension, as that would put you on a 'valid' permission to stay again, instead of the Amnesty extension.

Temporary relocating to a province with such an IO, could therefore be considered.

Applying for the 30-day extension of stay would be no problem (if you didn't do it already), so it would be just a matter of checking into a Hotel in the province of that IO, the night before applying at the IO for that 30-day extension.

When applying for the 60-day extension of stay or the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, they will not accept such an application doing it from a Hotel you checked in the day before.  So in that case it would involve renting a place in that province, and after having done your TM30 (or TM27) change of address at that more accomodating IO, this would clear the road for the 60-day extension of stay or the 90-day Non Imm O application in that province.

You would not even have to 'physically' relocate if you prefer staying in your current place.

Note: If you are on an original VisaExempt entry, and applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (either for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage), you can only do so it you have still left at least 15 days (some offices even require 23 days) on your current permission to stay. 

So that's where the intermediate 30-day or 60-day extensions come to your rescue, because when the Amnesty is not extended after 31 July you won't have enough time to do it (and you cannot apply for a Change of Visa once you are on overstay).

Also note that when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (as precursor for the 1-year extension of stay) that the financial funds that are required when doing such an application, only need to be on your personal thai bank account on the day of application.

2 - Go the Fixer Agent road, but - contrary to what some posters claim on the Forum - this is not entirely without risk for you. 

In your area (Pattaya) there are many such Fixer Agents.

When going the Fixer Agent route they will probably propose the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, followed by the 1-year extension of stay application based on that Visa in the last month of those 90-days. 

The application for Marriage extension does require divisional HQ approval (which is more difficult and expensive as it requires 'connections' at both local and division level, as well as two 'brown envelopes'). 

Hope this helps and wish you luck in sorting it out.

Thank you very much for taking your time and writing up such a detailed response!

I have not used any extension on my current visa that is under Amnesty right now. Yeah, I was fuzzy on how that factors in/whether I still had that opton.

Question: I assume it would be best/ok to wait until a few days before 31 July to do this- yes? IOW, I don't have to worry about the 15 day rule, so I could wait and see what is announced first. 

I came in Thailand for medical care; as it is much much less expensive for my condition than in my country. I came in mid January, got a 30 day extension in mid February. Unexpectedly, my treatment was not done when mid March came around, so I did a a quick 1 day trip border run. Soon after, my clinic closed (back open now and continuing treatment). A little concerned because I've been in the country so long this year, that's why I'm adding this fyi. FYI #2: I've never done this before and, in fact, this is the first time I've ever even gotten a 30 day extension. I didn't even know they existed for tourist visas until someone told me in February.

I've thought about getting a retirement visa for a while, but usually only spend 2 months in Thailand per year, but have considered more like 6 months/year. Given the new world order and the covid situation, seems a prudent move.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who has been helpful.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

Hi @Peter DenisThere seems to be conflicting cases and opinions on whether or not Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa folks can get the extra 30 days now, if they went on amnesty before applying for it for the first time. Perhaps different IO's have different interpretations.

Hi, if you are in Thailand on a VisaExempt entry or a TouristVisa entry, the permission to stay based on that entry obviously already expired.  But if you did not yet use the 30-day extension of stay such a VE or TV entry entitles you to, you can still apply for it.

The consensus is - and already confirmed by some actual cases - that the IO where you apply will accept it and provide you with a 30 day permission to stay, starting from date of application.

There are some IOs that will NOT accept it (e.g. Nonthaburi), but then it is simply a matter of applying at an IO that is more accomodating (like CW).

23 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

FYI > I received confirmation this morning from someone on a TouristVisa who was in exactly the same situation as yourself (permission to stay from that TouristVisa already expired).

But he applied today at his Bangkok (CW) IO for the 30-day extension of stay which was granted, and immediately applied from that for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement which was also accepted and is currently under consideration (the normal procedure).

That is great news.

FYI - I never had any problems in Jomtien extending tourist-entries.  But, what they are doing with TR-30-day extensions now - I have no idea.   I thought they were nice and professional there (just the usual TM-30 run-around), until I got married (when I encountered Desk #7 and then the Family-desk). 

But, in the case of @WuhanVagabond, maybe better to do the extension in CW, if doing the 90-day "change of visa type" there.  A sort of "establishing new location is Bangkok" step. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi WuhanVagabond,

Very Good News for you.

I was relieved in your place when you wrote that you did not yet use the 30-day extension of stay option your VisaExempt entry entitles you to.

And yes, you can apply for it till the last days of the Amnesty, and it will provide you with a 30 days permission to stay from date of application.  And if you want to stay longer in Thailand after that, you can then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, but this has to be done 15 days (23 days at some IOs) before the permission to stay provided by that 30-day extension expires.

So your troubles and worries are over and its time to Celebrate!

Being on a VisaExempt entry you can apply for the 30-day extension at any IO of your liking.

So if your despicable Jomtien office is reluctant to accept that 30-day extension of stay application and try to extort you again, you can laugh in their face and tell them to stick their extortion sticks where the sun doesn't shine.  Normally not my style, but they deserve it!

FYI > I received confirmation this morning from someone on a TouristVisa who was in exactly the same situation as yourself (permission to stay from that TouristVisa already expired).

But he applied today at his Bangkok (CW) IO for the 30-day extension of stay which was granted, and immediately applied from that for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement which was also accepted and is currently under consideration (the normal procedure).

Cheers and enjoy your day after this Good News!

Thank you so much!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

That is great news.

FYI - I never had any problems in Jomtien extending tourist-entries.  But, what they are doing with TR-30-day extensions now - I have no idea.   I thought they were nice and professional there (just the usual TM-30 run-around), until I got married (when I encountered Desk #7 and then the Family-desk). 

But, in the case of @WuhanVagabond, maybe better to do the extension in CW, if doing the 90-day "change of visa type" there.  A sort of "establishing new location is Bangkok" step. 

This is a very good point. I was going to try Jomtien for the 30 day after reading Peter's post, because I'm here. But after reading this, yeah, I'd be better off doing it in Bangkok. I may copy Peter's friend who did the 30 day and immediately applied for the 90 day non IO for retirement.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I was at  at  a certain Immigration a while ago, with my wife.  she was listening to a senior officer on the phone.  She could see he was holding  many passports in his hand,  and  the figure of 25,000 baht was  repeated, several times.   The man also    kept  saying "no discount".

Later  wifey  had  a peak, they were Chinese passports.   Dont know why Chinese would want to overstay here??

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WuhanVagabond said:

This is a very good point. I was going to try Jomtien for the 30 day after reading Peter's post, because I'm here. But after reading this, yeah, I'd be better off doing it in Bangkok. I may copy Peter's friend who did the 30 day and immediately applied for the 90 day non IO for retirement.

Hi, the guy that successfully applied for his 30-day extension of stay, from his Tourist Visa of which the permission to stay already expired is @London Boy 

I am pretty sure he won't mind you contacting him for more details on how he did it.

As mentioned, he applied immediately after he got the 30-day permission, for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  That application was accepted and is now 'under consideration' (which is the usual procedure).  Please note that when applying at Bangkok IO this also involves a 'house visit' to check whether you are indeed staying at the place you indicated on the Non Imm O application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No, every immigration officer working there will get a 'taste', and some of the money is passed up the chain to head office.

PS

It's usually 25k inclusive of everything.

I'm told it can be as low as 15k in Pattaya.

PPS

I'm expecting a 60 day amnesty extension to be announced.

No need to pay 25k until the last minute.

Expecting 60 days free visa extension again ?  No evidence for that