BBC Iplayer Beware updating the Android APK

Susco

I have BBC Iplayer installed on Android boxes, and it works perfect with VPN.

I have version 4.94 of the APK.

Today I discovered that updating to version 4.96 or 4.98 ( which is the latest) , and it doesn't work anymore with VPN.

Roll back to version 4.94 and all is fine again, so beware of updating to a later version.

Please note, this is the Android app, I don't know about Windows.

If anyone knows a work around, let us know, as it must be some new future added in the APK that detects the VPN

8 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

The BBC have new software that can detect the use of vpn. 

Next will be Netflix I think. 

The BBC and Netflix have for a longtime software to detect the use of a VPN.  It depends on what VPN provider you subscribe to that makes the difference.

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

iPlayer apk version 4.98.0.22008 works ok on my Minix box.

I use NordVPN. It did ask me if I had a TV licence when I fired it up, which it does from time to time anyway.

Asking for the tv license is normal procedure when you first time login.

I have been playing around more with 4.98, and it is hit or miss if the program start playing from the first time

Usually first time it doesn't, and it will give me the message " this content is currently not available", then clicking "retry" button once or twice it will start.

Earlier on it would give me the message " something went wrong, please restart the program" And it did this with version 4.96 and 4.98, trying updating from 4.94 or fresh install.

I then updated from 4.94 to 4.97, and it started working sometimes.

It's certainly not the VPN, which has a dedicated Iplayer server by the way, because then 4.94 would not work faultless.

Maybe some app cache issue, will see if it improves.

Continue to have issues with the newer versions not playing content, so have rolled back to 4.94, and never an issue with that one.

Has anyone be able to update or download the app from Playstore, with VPN enabled, or is side loading the only option?

1 hour ago, Digitalbanana said:

I've never got the player from Playstore, but using 4.96 working OK with VPN for me.

Thanks for the confirmation.

4.96 or 4.98 still not working here, well it may occasionally open a stream after clicking multiple times.

Version 4.94 no issue at all. Can't figure out what the reason may be.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:19 PM, Susco said:

Continue to have issues with the newer versions not playing content, so have rolled back to 4.94, and never an issue with that one.

Has anyone be able to update or download the app from Playstore, with VPN enabled, or is side loading the only option?

My previous post above is using iPlayer v4.98 from the playstore using VPN

Edited by Mutt Daeng

15 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

My previous post above is using iPlayer v4.98 from the playstore using VPN

How did you manage to download it from Playstore. Did you download it while in the UK?

Even with UK VPN enabled, playstore detect I'm not in the UK

23 minutes ago, Susco said:

How did you manage to download it from Playstore. Did you download it while in the UK?

Have you tried 'pushing' it to your device by logging into the same Google Account on a VPN'd PC looking at the PlayStore and selecting to download the APP to the selected device? Granted, this still may not work as your device might not be acceptable by the APP qualified hardware list (but will run it fine when side-loaded).

If the playstore detects the device isn't in the UK while connected to a VPN then either the device is leaking your local IP, WebRTC, or Thailand DNS (as that's the only way the PlayStore would know).

26 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Have you tried 'pushing' it to your device by logging into the same Google Account on a VPN'd PC looking at the PlayStore and selecting to download the APP to the selected device? Granted, this still may not work as your device might not be acceptable by the APP qualified hardware list (but will run it fine when side-loaded).

If the playstore detects the device isn't in the UK while connected to a VPN then either the device is leaking your local IP, WebRTC, or Thailand DNS (as that's the only way the PlayStore would know).

On PC with UK VPN and using different Playstore account it also doesn't find the app.

If I go through a direct link to the Playstore, it says this app is not compatible with your device.

The device Playstore knows is a MI A2 lite

7 hours ago, Susco said:

Even with UK VPN enabled, playstore detect I'm not in the UK

I downloaded the app from the playstore in Thailand without a VPN active at the time.I bought the phone and android box in Thailand so I guess my phone and android box is accessing the playstore that Thailand "sees".

EDIT: Just checked the playstore on my phone and android box and they DON'T see the iPlayer app to download, only to update as part of "my apps and games". I must have originally got it from somewhere else. Sorry for the mix up and my bad memory.

Edited by Mutt Daeng