Covid 19 Insurance Requirements

Hi,  I understand that Thai Immigration require people entering the country to have Covid 19 Insurance to the value of $100,000.

My insurance company, in South Africa, says, in email, that my policy includes cover for Covid 19 healthcare services if needed. However it does not state this in the International Travel Benefit accompanying the the policy brochure. my question is will immigration ask for positive stated proof that I am indeed covered.

I also understand that people entering the country, I travel on a multi entry Non O visa, have to go into a dedicated quarantine area. 

What is that area and who pays if it is a hotel? I have a house 30 kms from the airport so could I not stay there?

Many thanks

15 minutes ago, Bhawana said:

I have to comento Bangkok for my sons admission. Do we have to stay 14 days in quarantine even if i have to come back earlier.

Admission to? (Hospital? University? School?). 

If your Son has a Student Visa he can apply at your local Embassy for a Certificate of Entry. He may then be given approval to fly into Thailand on one of the repatriation flights, if there is a seat.

If you have a Marriage Certificate or Work Permit you will be able to apply at your local Embassy for a Certificate of Entry along side him.

You will both have to quarantine in a dedicated facility and unable to leave for 14 days.

Your son will not be able to register in person at Uni (if thats what he’s doing) until he’s cleared quarantine.

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, unheard said:
11 minutes ago, Bhawana said:

So both of us has to be quarantined 14 days before he joins.

You do realize that you have to apply for a permission to enter first?

Might take some time to get approved...

Exactly that. Your son will have to apply for his Student Visa. You will both have to apply for a Certificate of Entry.

Under the current situation there are specific requirements to apply for the Certificate of Entry. 

- A student (12 months of Study, invitation letters etc) - application for CoE and the Student Visa may coincide (I’m guessing). 

- Someone who is married to a Thai (holds a Marriage Certificate)

- Someone holding a Work Permit

IF you cannot meet any of the above criteria your application for the Certificate of Entry may be compromised. 

The best advise is to e-mail your local Thai Embassy and ask them what is required. 

In your situation you should fit into one of these groups:

(6) Non-Thai nationals who are a spouse, parents, or children of a Thai national.

(7) Non-Thai nationals who hold a valid certificate of permanent residency in the Kingdom, or permission to take up residence in the Kingdom

(8) Non-Thai nationals who have work permit or have been granted permission from government agencies to work in the Kingdom, including their spouse or children.

(9) Non-Thai nationals who are students of educational institutions approved by Thai authorities, including the parents or guardians of the students, except for students of non-formal educational institutions under the law on Private schools and  of other similar private educational institutions

https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/51895

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 5:09 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The requirements in the UK were: 

1) Declaration-spouse of Thai

2) Copy of Passport

3) Copy Passport Visa Page

4) Marriage Certificate

5) Copy of Wife’s Passport 

6) Health Insurance Certificate (with confirmation of Covid-19 cover up to (or over) $100,000)

7 ) Letter stating reason to return to Thailand

As someone who has done a lot of the leg work already. Do you know what the length of the insurance policy has to be to cover $100,000 for Covid 19. In the UK most insurance companies will now cover Covid 19 under accident and emergency cover. This cover is normally £5 or £10 million. Surely its just a case of taking out a travel insurance policy for say a month or 2 and you are covered? Just asking your view.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimn said:

As someone who has done a lot of the leg work already. Do you know what the length of the insurance policy has to be to cover $100,000 for Covid 19. In the UK most insurance companies will now cover Covid 19 under accident and emergency cover. This cover is normally £5 or £10 million. Surely its just a case of taking out a travel insurance policy for say a month or 2 and you are covered? Just asking your view.

I have read it needs to valid for at least your length of stay in the country. I assume that mean if you had a non-o visa it would be 90 days or if on a extension using a re-entry permit  it would be until it expires.

Taking out travel insurance could be punt with regards to length of policy, seeing as we don't the date of repatriation flight prior to making the purchase. I plan to take out an additional month on the backend to hopefully account for possible delays.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have read it needs to valid for at least your length of stay in the country. I assume that mean if you had a non-o visa it would be 90 days or if on a extension using a re-entry permit  it would be until it expires.

Thanks UJ, yes that makes sense, do you have a source or a thread I can refer too. I think the insurance aspect of obtaining the certificate of entry is one of the easiest parts to cover, people just need to look into it. Of more concern is obtaining the Covid test within 72 hours.

20 minutes ago, jimn said:

Thanks UJ, yes that makes sense, do you have a source or a thread I can refer too. I think the insurance aspect of obtaining the certificate of entry is one of the easiest parts to cover, people just need to look into it. Of more concern is obtaining the Covid test within 72 hours.

I was in a post I can remember but it would not be easy to find it now.

The best people to ask is the embassy where you are apply for the certificate of entry.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

And if it is a Non-O visa multiple entry?

That would mean an insurance coverage for the whole year?

8 hours ago, unheard said:

And if it is a Non-O visa multiple entry?

That would mean an insurance coverage for the whole year?

The visa only allows a 90 day entry so that should be enough. You cannot stay in the country for a year.

• Thanks 1

Simply the Thai people and Thai Government are paranoid about farangs coming into Thailand and the hurdles for entering are huge. Even people who shelled out millions for the Elite Card have the same hurdles. In the UK it's very difficult to get a test and even more difficult to get the results within 24 hours. Farangs who have wives and children here are not a priority according to the Government. The Government's priority is to keep the covid19 statistics low.

• Like 1

Several comments in this topic regarding travel insurance and length of cover.

Certainly, if buying in UK, annual policies are better value and would cover many of the eventualities in this topic.

My topic here may help.....

On 7/14/2020 at 11:09 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Under the current restrictions - those with work permits, those with a Marriage Certificate a can apply for the Certificate of Entry to travel to Thailand on a Repatriation Flight. 

There are not Passenger Flights into Thailand at the moment. You will need to apply to your local Embassy for a Certificate of Entry and a place on a repatriation flight. 

You will need to contact your Local Thai Embassy to find out their specific requirements. 

The requirements in the UK were: 

1) Declaration-spouse of Thai

2) Copy of Passport

3) Copy Passport Visa Page

4) Marriage Certificate

5) Copy of Wife’s Passport 

6) Health Insurance Certificate (with confirmation of Covid-19 cover up to (or over) $100,000)

7 ) Letter stating reason to return to Thailand

You then wait for Embassy Approval and will be notified once / if a repatriation flight becomes available and your Certificate of Entry has been approved. 

You will be notified of which repatriation flight you can take. 

You will then have to secure the following: 

8 ) Alternative State Quarantine Hotel Booking (from a list - contact the ASQ hotel direct for booking) - the will send you a booking certificate - You have to pay yourself. You cannot quarantine / self isolate at your home.

9) Book a Covid-19 PCR test (within 72 hrs before your flight) - Ensure they can give you a Covid-19 free certificate before your flight *(i.e. time to receive the results within 48 hrs of the test)

10) Book an appointment with a Doctor (within 72 hrs before your flight) have them issue a Fit to Fly certificate (letter) - this can be the same Doctor who administered your Covid-19 test. 

You will then be issued with Bank Details and have to pay for your Repatriation flight. 

You will be issued with your Ticket. 

You then provide the Embassy with your Covid-19 Test results and Fit to Fly Certificate. 

The Embassy provides you with your Certificate of Entry which you will need to show for check in for your Repatriation Flight.

Upon arrival in Thailand, you will have to show all your documents, insurance, ASQ booking, certificate of Entry. 

Your ASQ liaison will take you to your Alternative State Quarantine hotel where you will have to quarantine for 14 nights. You will be tested for Covid-19 twice (on day 3/4 and day 12/13 - or something similar). 

The ASQ hotel provides all food (3 meals a day) and nursing requirements (for the tests). 

A foreigner cannot use the free State Quarantine facility reserved for Thai’s, foreigners have to pay for their own ASQ Hotel.

Thanks for this detailed post. Daunting to say the least.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The visa only allows a 90 day entry so that should be enough. You cannot stay in the country for a year.

Under the circumstances is there any advantage or a benefit in getting a multiple entry non-O visa (over a single entry non-O)?

Edited by unheard

9 hours ago, unheard said:

Under the circumstances is there any advantage or a benefit in getting a multiple entry non-O visa (over a single entry non-O)?

Not if you plan on applying for a a one year extension of stay.

If you cannot qualify for the extension or don't want one then a multiple entry visa is a good choice. At this time a lot of people with them are wishing that had a extension or are trying to apply for one now.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, VBF said:

Several comments in this topic regarding travel insurance and length of cover.

Certainly, if buying in UK, annual policies are better value and would cover many of the eventualities in this topic.

You always need to check the small print.

"Be aware that there is a limit to the length of time you can spend away on any individual trip. This will depend on the cover level chosen and could be 17 or 31 days. With some policies, this limit can be extended to 45 or 60 days for an additional premium." https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-insurance/annual

I had annual travel insurance for many years and the majority of policies are limited to 45 days at any one time with a few going to 90 days. Invariably you have to return home for a specified period between trips.

It is unlikely that travel insurance would be ok for anyone on ME non O unless the insurance is no longer required by the end of the 90 days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

You always need to check the small print.

"Be aware that there is a limit to the length of time you can spend away on any individual trip. This will depend on the cover level chosen and could be 17 or 31 days. With some policies, this limit can be extended to 45 or 60 days for an additional premium." https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-insurance/annual

I had annual travel insurance for many years and the majority of policies are limited to 45 days at any one time with a few going to 90 days. Invariably you have to return home for a specified period between trips.

It is unlikely that travel insurance would be ok for anyone on ME non O unless the insurance is no longer required by the end of the 90 days.

That is true @sandyf- my annual insurance will allow for up to 90 days out of the UK per trip with the payment of an extra premium which is why it works for me, a tourist.

I did say "Certainly, if buying in UK, annual policies are better value and would cover many of the eventualities in this topic."

And as you rightly said "...........unless the insurance is no longer required by the end of the 90 days."

It's possible that people on long-stay choose not to have insurance in normal times (not for me to judge!) so this would merely allow them to achieve entry into Thailand.

Unfortunately, in these times especially, there's no "one size fits all" solution but if it helps even 1 person at least get into Thailand then I feel it was worth posting.

1 hour ago, VBF said:

It's possible that people on long-stay choose not to have insurance in normal times (not for me to judge!) so this would merely allow them to achieve entry into Thailand.

Unfortunately, in these times especially, there's no "one size fits all" solution but if it helps even 1 person at least get into Thailand then I feel it was worth posting.

Absolutely spot on, there are so many permutations regarding circumstances there is no general answer.

Long stay travel insurance, commonly referred to as "backpacker" insurance is fairly common but aimed at the younger age group and becomes significantly more expensive and difficult as age increases. Travel insurance is exactly that, a travel based arrangement and may well carry benefits that are not required, there comes a point where health insurance may be more beneficial than travel insurance.

• Thanks 1