German Embassy on extension of amnesty: not good.

15 minutes ago, Saradoc1972 said:

They could not help out with any sort of letter stating German citizens could not get back, as there were daily flights and Germany's borders were not closed (which is both true.)

The letter doesn't have to state this. The previous letters just said "Please extend the visa due to Covid 19", they could write the same again, Covid 19 is still causing problems.

Last time they also said they won't issue such letters, and a few days later they did.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saradoc1972 said:

The guy (deputy to the German Ambassador in Bangkok) very clearly stated Thai authorities would expect the German Embassy to state in writing their respective citizens could not leave as there were no flights out or Germany's borders were closed. Which they would not be able to do, as both was not the case, said that too, expressively so.

See my edit. They are just too lazy to issue the letters.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Saradoc1972 said:

Keep calm, everybody, there is still time

I know that there are some flights leaving. But what will happen if many people decide this week that they have to leave before July 31 ?  There are flights, but not many. For sure not enough. And the last seats are always very expensive.

3 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

I know that there are some flights leaving. But what will happen if many people decide this week that they have to leave before July 31 ?  There are flights, but not many. For sure not enough. And the last seats are always very expensive.

I suppose, in a pinch, we would have to shell out some 5000 Baht of a fine at the airport for "overstay". If they don't, at the very least, waive that. There are a good number of flights going out, at least to Europe. As long as I do not end up in the Balkans or the UK, I am fine; could even weather it for 3-4 weeks or so in Turkey, until Germany declares end of quarantine for anyone coming from there (would not be the end of the world, even then, I just stay home; oh, and I would legally challenge the self-quarantine requirement, chances are not that slim). I would not know about "the last seats being expensive", airlines tend to only cancel flights if there is a totally insufficient number of passengers to make the flight financially viable. Little chance of that, *IF* it comes that sort of exodus.

4 minutes ago, andux said:

What's wrong with the Balkans? 

Precisely nothing. Unless Austria, which would be on my travel route to Germany, has or were to develop a problem with people crossing over from there, even just in transit.

Or they have a problem with me. ANY country in the way for transit is a risk, or at least could prove to be. Keep it simple, strange times.

Edited by Saradoc1972

5 hours ago, Puccini said:

Was that the German embassy "last time"?

On 17th March I asked the German embassy for such a letter, their answer:

die Botschaft wird diese Bescheinigungen nicht ausstellen. Ich empfehle Ihnen, Sie sich unverzüglich um eine Rückreisemöglichkeit zu kümmern.

"The Embassy will not issue such a certificate (letter). I recommend you to find a return option as immediately."

If i remember correctly, on 23rd March they started issuing these letters, i got mine on 27th March.

Let's remember one thing about Embassies:

They are here to best assist you in any worst case scenario. And to cover their own asses, but that's another story. Right now, they probably don't know anything either. So they are telling you what to do in that worst case scenario. It doesn't mean it will happen and it does not mean it won't. But they are by their governments required to tell their citizens what to do if that happens.

Not necessarily just to help you, but to cover their own asses in case it all goes downhill.

Even now Thailand exports more than it imports and Thailand has very little foreign external debt compared to foreign currency reserves. Most of the government debt is to Thais. Source: Tradingeconomics. It is why the Baht is so stubbornly strong even after the total collapse of the tourism sector.

1 minute ago, geisha said:

Exactly how many tourists are *stuck* in Thailand ?

Around the first amnesty, or the failed extension offer in March, there were an estimated 400-500k foreigners in Thailand who could not get home or comply to visa regulations because of cancelled flights or closed borders. Not necessarily tourists. That number will have dwindled, but not by that much. Would come as a surprise if there were less than, say, 200k still in the country. Also depends on what you see as tourists, good couple of elderly people in Thailand for month-long stays on Non-Imm "O" visa, doing that habitually every year since who-knows-when.

And, would depend on what you consider "stuck". A lot of of people will have valid reasons for not wanting to go home if they can avoid it, such as leaving their stuff in Thailand, an ongoing rental contract, nothing back home to go to, quarantine regulations with a bill to foot (UK introduced them for Thailand again a week ago). Also, many flights do get cancelled in return for vouchers no one will be able to use in the foreseeable future, and the last thing you want is then being "stuck" for real with a fully drained credit card after two or three attempts, to then turn to your embassy when all options are used up. Example for the latter seems to be Australia who are restricting their own citizens coming home because of a shortage of state quarantine facilities. Call that "sorta stuck", then, not keyed to a sense of entitlement of staying in Thailand, just that universal nerve-wrecking insecurity in this global pickle.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

On 17th March I asked the German embassy for such a letter, their answer:

"The Embassy will not issue such a certificate (letter). I recommend you to find a return option as immediately."

If i remember correctly, on 23rd March they started issuing these letters, i got mine on 27th March.

That was March... the beginning of the chaos.

Now EU borders are open for returning residents and flights are available.

From a Thai standpoint, why would they allow anyone to stay without Visa or proper documentation?

So funny that the German embassy's actions are discussed in an English language forum

1 hour ago, Miami007 said:

So funny that the German embassy's actions are discussed in an English language forum

What's funny about that? This is a forum for foreigners in Thailand, and a good number of these foreigners are German. Other embassies have been discussed as well.

• Like 2