Why does everyone think an announcement is coming?

2 hours ago, AndyPa said:

What if there is no announcement coming? I mean, they already made an announcement saying there is an amnesty until July 31, after which you will have to get a proper status. Period.

When did they say "after which you'll have to get a proper status"? 

Seems to me like they have left that dangling, and any claim that it will go one way or the other is conjecture.

Until they make an announcement.  Or not, and they just start fining people and hauling them to IDC.

4 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

A 30 days extension for 1900 baht, would also be a big help for some of us that found a job and are trying to get a non b and wp to stay in the country LEGALLY. We are not being allowed to change from TR to non b without those 15 days permitted to stay remaining in our passports.

They could, at least, change temporarily this policy. Many people would stop needing a new period of grace/amnesty. If you cannot do border run, allow people to sort out the papers inside.

Indeed. Ultimately its just stamps and entries in a database. Normally done at immigration offices anyway for standard extensions. They just need to temporarily adjust for more stamps and database entries to be done for more reasons. They could even just increase the fee to 2900 on a temporary basis to allow for the extra traffic and staff needed. Ultimately all the time the land borders are closed its make sense to think of these things.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PhoSai said:

Indeed. Ultimately its just stamps and entries in a database. Normally done at immigration offices anyway for standard extensions. They just need to temporarily adjust for more stamps and database entries to be done for more reasons. They could even just increase the fee to 2900 on a temporary basis to allow for the extra traffic and staff needed. Ultimately all the time the land borders are closed its make sense to think of these things.

Im willing to pay 15.000 for ending this headache. A simple 30 days stamp is all i need. My papers have been so ready since march 

3 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

Im willing to pay 15.000 for ending this headache. A simple 30 days stamp is all i need. My papers have been so ready since march 

Yep, well I guess if it all goes south then agents are the backup, but they charge a lot, which is to be expected given the possible supply & demand dynamic. I was quoted 35,000 baht for a 3 month extension based on staying with my child. Its a lot but if come the end of this week there is either no announcement and/or no extension then ill be doing it. 

Edited by PhoSai
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, AndyPa said:

they already made an announcement saying there is an amnesty until July 31, after which you will have to get a proper status. Period.

"after which you will have to get a proper status."

I don't recall that in their announcements. 

Period.

I also don't see what a woman's menstrual cycle has to do with anything.

though I do recall the Foreign Minister's deputy spokesman officially announcing that immigration's decision to extend it or not will be made public soon.

So I guess that answers your question. ???? 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Some immigration offices do it, some don't. The ones who don't do it for you, would do it if you use an agent who pays them. So these immigration offices are just extorting money, there is no legal reason why they couldn't do it.

the university i work in atm ambiguously suggested something to me about getting a 30 days stamp using an agent. I thought they were just giving unreal ideas to end up the discussion

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

the university i work in atm ambiguously suggested something to me about getting a 30 days stamp using an agent. I thought they were just giving unreal ideas to end up the discussion

I mean it's possible to convert a tourist visa or visa exempt which has expired (and the person is now under the amnesty) to a non-immigrant visa.

Officially 15 days remaining are required, which would make today or tomorrow (depending how they count) the last day where it's possible the official way (if no further extensions are issued). After this it's only possible through an agent.

Edited by jackdd

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I mean it's possible to convert a tourist visa or visa exempt which has expired (and the person is now under the amnesty) to a non-immigrant visa.

Officially 15 days remaining are required, which would make today or tomorrow (depending how they count) the last day where it's possible the official way (if no further extensions are issued). After this it's only possible through an agent.

Both imm officers in Pathum Thani and here in Bangkok understood that 15 remaining days are from my permission to stay stamp (which expired in 25th of April), and not from the amnesty period. Maybe my university is not powerful enough.

What bothers me, is that my embassy sends me regular updates on flight options from Bangkok to Paris (I can give the list if the moderators don't suppress my post for not being in English), and it appears the the possibilities to return are quite numerous. Therefore it would seem legitimate for the Thai authorities to expect those people who don't have, or can't get, the right visa after July 31st to make arrangements to go home. If I was in a situation where in effect I would be an overstayer under amnesty, I'd definitely get ready to go. Maybe hope for some leniency if I got delayed after July 31st.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Reading into the article above is like looking at a ticking time bomb as the clock counts down and waiting for it to go off and take all those who are not on a definitive visa or extension out with a bang.  There will be many screams heard and whining to follow should the writing come true.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LennyW said:

This visa amnesty did not apply to foreigners who already had visas other than a tourist visa or who had entered Thailand before January of this year.

... is incorrect.  It applied to all persons on 30, 60, and 90-day entries, including Non-Immigrant Visa entries.  Those on "border passes" were also accomodated, unless/until the land-borders re-opened (which they still have not).

• Like 2