President Xi stresses economic cooperation with Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

As well as I agree with what you are writing, there is one question that must be posed. Thailand is Suoth East Asia´s second largest economy. They have not reached that level out of stupid decisions. Do you then think that they will be as stupid that they actuaölly reach that point this time?

Thailand can says a big ''thank you'' at the investissments and 

technology and managment share from Japan, South korea and few western nations

without this help, Thailand should be actually still exactly at the same level as Laos or Cambodgia

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

As well as I agree with what you are writing, there is one question that must be posed. Thailand is Suoth East Asia´s second largest economy. They have not reached that level out of stupid decisions. Do you then think that they will be as stupid that they actuaölly reach that point this time?

Categorically no, I do not!

Posters like to slam the Thai government for all manner of things because it comes from a military base. But their economics track record is pretty sound, they are overly cautious at times but they have still managed to grow GDP at a decent rate for the past four years and I fully expect them to pull through the current crisis. The way they do that may offend the sensitivities of some of our less seasoned and more fragile members but nevertheless, as you say, they are the second largest economy in the region and they didn't get there by being idiots or by luck. 

• Like 1

Because of its strategic location, Thailand is a very attractive place for the Chinese to be.

The South China Sea projects that China are ramping up are only a short distance from Thai Waters, and this makes Thailand a very powerful partner.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Thailand can says a big ''thank you'' at the investissments and 

technology and managment share from Japan, South korea and few western nations

without this help, Thailand should be actually still exactly at the same level as Laos or Cambodgia

So now you are coming up with the excuse that they should thank them for that and this for that. I didn´t expect more actually.

Do you think that the countries you are mentioning did that for being nice, or did they gain something for it?

It´s simple, Thailand has been doing it good. It doesn´t hurt you to admit that without any excuses and buts

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So now you are coming up with the excuse that they should thank them for that and this for that. I didn´t expect more actually.

Do you think that the countries you are mentioning did that for being nice, or did they gain something for it?

It´s simple, Thailand has been doing it good. It doesn´t hurt you to admit that without any excuses and buts

Of course it was the interest (Politic first in the cold war times, then economic) of these countries

to do Thailand a dynamic and strong country, but they could have had the same result with less

efforts and money if the Thais were better,

Unfortunately the ''elite'' of the country, mostly sino thais, is more busy to fill their deep pockets by any way possible than to develop a good and sustainable economic grow, and the big mass of the ''serfs'' doesn't have the tools to understand or create something.

The famous ''middle class'' is still a work in progress.

Can you name only one thing that the Thais have created or invented in the last 50 years?

I don't come with excuses for someone or something, i just try to be realist.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I bet he does. This guy's got fewer friends than Prayut. 

Maybe China, Thailand, Russia, Iran and North Korea can form a 'business bubble'. 

That's not so far-fetched. If this group issued its own currency backed by gold, the dollar, and in fact all western currencies would come under great pressure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Of course it was the interest (Politic first in the cold war times, then economic) of these countries

to do Thailand a dynamic and strong country, but they could have had the same result with less

efforts and money if the Thais were better,

Unfortunately the ''elite'' of the country, mostly sino thais, is more busy to fill their deep pockets by any way possible than to develop a good and sustainable economic grow, and the big mass of the ''serfs'' doesn't have the tools to understand or create something.

The famous ''middle class'' is still a work in progress.

Can you name only one thing that the Thais have created or invented in the last 50 years?

I don't come with excuses for someone or something, i just try to be realist.

If you are indeed a realist you must work only with facts. "The famous ''middle class'' is still a work in progress". That's untrue, the rapid growth of the middle classes in Thailand is one of its big success stories, by some measures there are now 49 million people in that category out of a population of 70 million! Whatever the true number is it is huge and that group has grown rapidly over the past few decades and by any analysis it is responsible for much of the country's growth:

https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/thailand/overview

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

That's not so far-fetched. If this group issued its own currency backed by gold, the dollar, and in fact all western currencies would come under great pressure.

The Asian Development Bank (ADB) was formed with that as one of its objectives, Thailand is a founding member with Special Drawing Rights (SDR's), one of its objectives is to wean member nations off USD based trade settlement. https://www.adb.org/

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

That will be the last resort solution, but these Asian nations, and others, will probably wait as long as possible before implementing it.

Their problem is that they are addicted to exports, and that a strong currency backed by gold is the last thing they want now.

Only when the actual monetary system based on fake money will unravel, will they have no choice but to rebuild on solid foundations...

• Like 1

The urban middle class may indeed be a work in progress in the sense that its ultimate loyalties are still up for grabs. I know most on this forum don't much like Prayuth, but there is this strange evidence that the Bangkok middle class does like him on the whole. My theory is that while they don't ascribe to all of his agenda, he and his administration provide a buffer between them and the remaining Taksin style rural extreme left, left-over communists if you will, who still have the numbers in their favor (thus the need to pack the government). But even while many of them are also (like the elite) Chinese-Thai, would they support a complete turn toward China? Personally I doubt it. 

30 minutes ago, Enzian said:

The urban middle class may indeed be a work in progress in the sense that its ultimate loyalties are still up for grabs. I know most on this forum don't much like Prayuth, but there is this strange evidence that the Bangkok middle class does like him on the whole. My theory is that while they don't ascribe to all of his agenda, he and his administration provide a buffer between them and the remaining Taksin style rural extreme left, left-over communists if you will, who still have the numbers in their favor (thus the need to pack the government). But even while many of them are also (like the elite) Chinese-Thai, would they support a complete turn toward China? Personally I doubt it. 

The "Thaksin rural", as you call them, are not extreme left, save for a few, but rather extreme poor. 

The elites and upper middle class, mostly if not entirely made of Thai Chinese despise the rural Thais, which they consider as "Lao" and just good enough to fill up their factories and provide basic food for the country. 

They indeed like to see the country run by the army, because it is the only way to escape the inevitable results of democratic elections which will bring to power the likes of Thaksin again and again. 

As far as China is concerned, the Thai Chinese, or their parents, fled the country after WWII to escape communism, and are no more eager to reunite with the motherland than the Chinese from Singapore or Taiwan. 

Chinese they are, but communist they are not. 

Yet, the mainland Chinese have been quite good at compromising, and seem to be much more interested in doing business than in converting other countries to communism. 

That is a big difference with the US which is still acting like old style missionaries, trying to convert to democracy (by bombing them) countries still rooted in the Middle Age, while bankrupting itself in the process. 

China has learned by observing, and won't repeat this mistake.