Shock and ale: electric fence keeps drinkers back from the bar in English pub

webfact

Shock and ale: electric fence keeps drinkers back from the bar in English pub

By Tom Nicholson

2020-07-14T125154Z_1_LYNXNPEG6D0VM_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-PUB.JPG

Landlord Johnny McFadden, 61, poses for a photo at the bar area of The Star Inn, where an electric fence has been installed at the bar area to ensure customers are socially distanced from staff while ordering drinks, following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in in St Just, Cornwall, Britain July 14, 2020. REUTERS/Tom Nicholson

St JUST, England (Reuters) - Man walks into a bar, and into an electric fence. It's not a joke, but rather the novel measure taken by one Cornish pub to enforce distance rules to stop the spread of COVID-19.

The landlord of Star Inn in the village of St Just, south-west England, has installed an electric fence in front of the bar to make sure that social distancing guidelines are followed.

"If I had put a little bit of rope there I don't think anybody would have taken this much attention as they have to an electric fence," pub landlord Jonny McFadden said.

A pub landlord in Cornwall, southwest England, has devised a shocking method to enforce social distancing at his bar - by installing an electric fence.

Pubs in England were allowed to reopen on July 4, but must implement social distancing measures. That includes minimising staff contact with customers, and reducing the time pub-goers spend at the bar.

McFadden said the rules represented a big culture change for his pub.

"I run a very small bar. Everybody is accustomed to sitting at the bar, pushing at the bar. They can't do that now. Things have changed," he said.

Although the fence is not turned on, McFadden said that the same logic which works in the nearby farms of rural Cornwall works for the local drinkers too.

"As long as there's a warning sign on an electric fence and you are warned about it, it's totally legal. And there's the fear factor - it works," he said.

"People are like sheep. Sheep keep away, people keep away."

(Writing by Alistair Smout; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-15

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

As long as there's a warning sign on an electric fence and you are warned about it, it's totally legal. And there's the fear factor - it works," he said.

"People are like sheep. Sheep keep away, people keep away."

Sheep keep away because they get zapped. It only takes one person to realize that the fence is not live for your cunning plan to fall apart.

• Haha 2

One day somebody is going to publish a book called "2020 - The Year The World Went Mad" - and this picture deserves to be on the front cover.

I thank my lucky stars I left Blighty.

8 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Sheep keep away because they get zapped. It only takes one person to realize that the fence is not live for your cunning plan to fall apart.

My guess is his cunning plan was actually a way to get some free advertising & it worked

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Emdog said:

My guess is his cunning plan was actually a way to get some free advertising & it worked

It's a shame because of social distancing and his fence he will not be able to accommodate the crowds such advertising will bring. What capacity can they operate at now 25% or 50%?

• Like 2

This guy doesn't want to get closed down again! Like so many others ! Many establishments are hanging on by a hair !

I'd  venture to say this guy is fed up with all of these Gov restrictions.  But he has common sense enough to appease the snitch mob.  

He's fighting for his lively hood!