Labeling Switches

carlyai

The original Dymo machine that made embossed labels (can you still get them?) looked tacky and the first thing they usually did was fall off.

The modern Dymo type machines that produce thermal printed plastic labels are effective and reasonably professional looking.

Being a skinflint I laser print onto plain paper, cut out with my photo-guillotine and stick on with Pritt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

The original Dymo machine that made embossed labels (can you still get them?) looked tacky and the first thing they usually did was fall off.

The modern Dymo type machines that produce thermal printed plastic labels are effective and reasonably professional looking.

Being a skinflint I laser print onto plain paper, cut out with my photo-guillotine and stick on with Pritt.

Thanks. Unfortunately my printer is 700 km away. 

I'll go to the big stationary shop and see what they suggest. Maybe a thin marking pen and a steady hand. 

15 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Thanks. Unfortunately my printer is 700 km away. 

I'll go to the big stationary shop and see what they suggest. Maybe a thin marking pen and a steady hand. 

Maybe TRY to REMEMBER what each switch is for ! Otherwise you will have to read through all five labels and then decide which one you need to operate.

Not sure if you are talking on actual switch or breaker panel (photo looks like a UFO) but I gave up as Thai want Thai and I want English and there really not room for both (at more than invisible product contents on food package).  But would suggest just using computer shop printer if you do not have and making print in various size and cut to size and then cover with transparent tape a bit larger.  Also self stick labels are available but become dirty if you do not cover with transparent tape and would be hard to do without own printer I suspect.  Perhaps remember color codes and buy stickers?  If like my home several of us would need to find reading glasses to actually read.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure if you are talking on actual switch or breaker panel (photo looks like a UFO) but I gave up as Thai want Thai and I want English and there really not room for both (at more than invisible product contents on food package).  But would suggest just using computer shop printer if you do not have and making print in various size and cut to size and then cover with transparent tape a bit larger.  Also self stick labels are available but become dirty if you do not cover with transparent tape and would be hard to do without own printer I suspect.  Perhaps remember color codes and buy stickers?  If like my home several of us would need to find reading glasses to actually read.

It's for the rental place. As my wife keeps telling me   'book lai' Got these gang of 6 switches and another gang of 4 switches that control fans and lights and remote controls for fans. Hard to remember what's what, so need some labels if we ever get renters again.

It all seemed a good idea at the time but if I ever get reincarnated I'm going to do the sensible Isaan thing for my new house: one crappy light, one GOOD fan, and a mosquito net to sleep under, AND a small bottle of Lao kow for a pleasant night sleep. (But I must admit the farang good last night and black Guinness was beautiful.)

Take the plastic face plate off, use something to 'scratch' in some Thai symbols to indicate what's what, what. Wash. Re-affix.

The plate can then safely be wiped clean, and anyone running a finger over the carved symbols will leave them darkened and easy to read.

If you screw up, by a new face plate and try again. 

For a professional fit and finish note Amazon has all sorts of switch labels to choose from and ships to your door in Thailand. Probably better to prefer labels with symbols over English writing so everyone can understand it.

• Like 2

man i thought i was the only one who wanted to label their power switches. 

i wanted to take it a step further and label all the power outlets with a circuit breaker number and label all the breakers at the box with room names. 

i have a huge list of other things i want to do but all i actually do is chase women all the time.   

it really ruined my life. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps remember color codes and buy stickers?  If like my home several of us would need to find reading glasses to actually read.

i have reading glasses deployed at various "emergency reading glasses" staging areas in my house.  

but they always migrate to the same place by the end of the week so i have start over.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, carlyai said:

It's for the rental place.

In that case color code should work well - something like this at switch and fan in same color should be obvious and if tell them more than obvious and easy to trim if too large for switch.

https://shopee.co.th/DIY-Handbook-Photo-Sticker-INS-Style-Color-Dot-Morandi-Round-Sticker-i.216113816.4931623925

DIY Handbook Photo Sticker INS Style Color Dot Morandi Round ...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/muisungshop-round-macaron-color-stickers-paper-clear-decoration-creative-adhesive-sticker-kawaii-school-supplies-bullet-journal-i1142722376-s2656230812.html?

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

I feel confident stating that your not colour blind. ???? 

You are right but even among us men it is only about 8% and this is not likely to be a serious issue like a traffic light.  Seems women are almost immune to that condition with it only being about 1/2% and most colors are not an issue for anyone if not red/green (traffic lights) colors.  Learned something today.  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 8:11 AM, Crossy said:

That's how I did mine, and they still look perfect 9 years later

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CGW said:

I feel confident stating that your not colour blind. ???? 

Or French. The last guy that rented ...sort of ....had a really young Thai girl with flaming red hair. Not that there's any thing wrong with French people or young Thai girls with flaming red hair. He just couldn't work out the switches or how to turn the fridge down or ....everything. He also had a bad back...whick I blame on the girl with flaming red hair. BE WARNED.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You could do it the old fashioned way...

before-switch-plate-labeled-with-masking

I'm sure for some people that's VERY confusing. Couldn't you make it simpler? Surely the ON should be down and OFF up.  HEATERS label should be at the top. So out of your 4 HEATERS, how do you know which is number 1 or 2 etc? VERY CONFUSING.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, RichCor said:

How does one turn a fridge down  ...or is this another thai/expat euphemism I'm not getting 

....in temperature. Said the fridge was too old and didn't get cold, but when we checked the thermostat was wrongly adjusted.

Here electricians often use a P-touch labeler. The ink is UV resistant. But that's expensive if you can't borrow one for a minute and pay for the tape.

Alternatively, I've seen an extra fine Sharpie used. You'd have to put clear packing tape or something over it to withstand the environment and use.

People generally get used to what switches what and it becomes muscle memory in no time.

The worst that can happen is the wrong thing comes on.

Edited by ding