Emoticons

Trillian

OP, I agree, its something I also find irritating. 

I dont agree with an opinion, facts, point of view, so I will just be confused or say its sad. Its the Tucker Carlson response (fox news)

Its often in response to shattering their delusional view of Thailand and their place in it. 

Edited by Peterw42
  • Sad 1

Just now, Peterw42 said:

I agree, its something I also find irritating. 

I dont agree with an opinion, facts, point of view, so I will just be confused or say its sad. Its the Tucker Carlson response (fox news)

Its often in response to shattering their view of Thailand and their place in it. 

Yes I agree. I suppose much of it depends on the reason why a person comes to the forum in the first place, to learn, to teach, to help or just to post stupid inane one liners to earn likes. If it's the latter then each to their own I suppose, I can coexist with people like that although we are highly unlikely to ever exchange constructive ideas in any thread. But in return I, and others like me, deserve the same right to go about our business unhindered yet the one liner/no liner guys don't seem to get that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Get rid of the sad and confused emojis, in fact get rid of the lot and just put a thumbs up and thumbs down emoji !!

Yep....I say get rid of them, all they do is inflame tempers or inflate ego's. And anyway, what ever is wrong with asking a person to debate using the  written word.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, Oldie said:

If you post in a forum you have to accept that not all people might share your opinion. And it is good like this. Otherwise it might get a little bit boring. 

The world would be a sad place indeed if people don't disagree with other people's opinion, that's not in dispute, how you disagree and the arbitrary use of emoticons that are unrelated to what has been written is. Some people actually come here looking for debate, not for fights or attacks but for an exchange of views ideas and facts, emoticons don't help with those things.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Bloomin' heck Ian, that's not only harsh but completely unnecessary.

Yup, I give out the confusion emoji, when I see that someone has posted something, which, in my opinion, has not been thought out correctly, & to explain why I feel that way, would take too long to explain - (perhaps someone could give me advice on sentence construction) ????

There are however, two notable characters who routinely award me said emoji. They're boring, but I would not label them as having "poor mental health" I'd use another word that rhymes with 'banker'. ????

Perhaps it's better not to get ones pantaloons in a twist, na?

:whistling:

The "Ian" part was very funny, you're not a Douglas Adams fan I see.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

The same half dozen posters repeatedly deposit negative emoticons and yes they do follow other posters around spreading their negativity...

I just block everything I post from their view...????

And how do you do that?

9 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Thin Skinned Member. Sad to me is like a Purple Heart, a breath of fresh air. TVs for Fun, not boosting ones ego.????.

Part of the problem is that emoticons don't add anything to the subject, who really cares what readers like or don't like when a subject is being discussed, their feelings about what was said don't add anything to the debate. If people want to debate, what's wrong with using the written word?

If you think that receiving a sad emoticon is like getting a purple heart you have a peculiar idea of debate, discussion and education. If someone posts something that is truly a very sad post then perhaps a sad emoticon is warranted. But to post a sad emoticon just because someone has just woken up and to blindly post three of them regardless of the material, is in itself very sad.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Never knew it <deleted> folks off so much to use sad and confused. This is going to be fun.

It's akin to that nagging little gnat that flies around your head when you walk through the garden, it's not exactly a fighter bomber type of thing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

38 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Sad and confused emojis look like the little fella is constipated. I vote we keep the like and thank you, substitute the sad and confused with a middle finger salute. 

That gives the impression you've been reading the posts. Careful - you'll let the side down!

• Haha 2

Its quiet easy, just use the sad emoticon for things that are sad, a death, an injury, etc

Use the confused emoticon for the latest stupid immigration decision.

The sad emoticon isnt there to show disappointment if someone isnt participating in a Thai bashing thread or buying into a "we are the great white benefactor" thread.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

I clik Sad for Lefty n PC type opinions because the are Sad Sacks to me.

And therein lays part of the problem, there is no single agreed definition of what the emoticons mean, lots of people have different definitions. I personally would not relate your definitions to the emoticons, it's much better to explain a point of view in English.

• Confused 2