Emoticons

Trillian

2 minutes ago, Trillian said:

It's what it was and still is for me and many other people, your mileage may vary.

Was supposed to read Merchant of Venice for my O level English Lit in 1964. I still haven't finished it, or Pride & prejudice !   LOL

2 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Seems long winded for don't agree

I don't know, I might agree, so far I haven't been able to understand what you're talking about and despite prodding you still haven't made it clear. You don't like long answers, I get that part, short attention span and no big words or joined up writing, hmm, not everyone feels the same way, it's called respecting the differences!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Trillian said:

I don't know, I might agree, so far I haven't been able to understand what you're talking about and despite prodding you still haven't made it clear. You don't like long answers, I get that part, short attention span and no big words or joined up writing, hmm, not everyone feels the same way, it's called respecting the differences!

My attention span is short if the subject is boring.

Just now, checkered flag said:

My attention span is short if the subject is boring.

So somebody tied you to the chair at your PC, propped your eyelids open with tooth picks and made you read this thread, that's tough, I'd live somewhere else if I was you! 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Trillian said:

And you certainly know about silly comments do you not!

A question for you Colin: I know from your posts that finance and economics are not your thing and either don't hold any interest for you and/or you don't know much about the subject, that's fair enough. Similarly, I'm not interested in one liners, throw away comments, dropping poo bombs on government or building dry stone walls. Those things being true, why would you bother to post exclusively sad or confused emoticons on subject matter you don't understand and haven't read? Just curious. 

bump @colinneil

not that I expect you will answer of course, how can you!

Edited by Trillian
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Trillian said:

Yep....I say get rid of them, all they do is inflame tempers or inflate ego's. And anyway, what ever is wrong with asking a person to debate using the  written word.

I wouldn't miss them that's for sure.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I wouldn't miss them that's for sure.

Honestly, I would miss them.

Gives me some kind of feedback, if I,m on my way to become an even bigger lunatic or still doing fine pretending to be sane.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

8 pages of supposedly mature adults concerned about cartoon style stickers ?

Thats what I find unbelievable.

Who really gives a rats ar** about insignificant nonsense, well, clearly some do, geeze!

Oh ye of little faith. Just for you:

th?id=OIP.nxW4bl69ux2ICCZA3X2gTwHaHa&pid  th?id=OIP.OG7SsKBupl8Kt1JEv4FxjQHaEo&pid  th?id=OIP.ObZi0dy7CGIHb2iAG-x3-gHaHr&pid 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Oldie said:

If you post in a forum you have to accept that not all people might share your opinion. And it is good like this. Otherwise it might get a little bit boring. 

nobody has to agree with a shared opinion but sometimes the opinion is about answering somebody's concern and in that specific case no one else, besides the person whom originally posted, should rate that opinion... unfortunately many rated one's opinion without considering the context of such posts

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pineapple01 said:

Imagine sitting next to an anti emicon person on a long haul flight. The Fasten Seat Belts icon would become an hours topic

LOL... your imagination deserves an award! ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Trillian said:

Every day I receive sad or confused emoticons from the same half dozen posters, people who never enter into a discussion and are probably not equipped to do so but instead just click emoticons. One happy chappie even makes a point of logging on each morning and issuing me with three consecutive  confused or sad emoticons on whatever posts I've made so far that day, EVERY SINGLE DAY, regardless of what the content or subject is of those posts. 

Whilst that sort of behaviour is indicative of poor mental health and an unbalanced personality and the individuals in question should probably be supported through recovery rather than chastised, posting emoticons does become contagious and act as a catalyst for others to also do the same...it's a bit like yawning! Personally I don't see myself as the one who should be responsible for helping those with Compulsive Obsessive Disorder, perhaps you could set up a special forum for them alone where they can play unhindered and without causing collateral damage.

My vote would be to get rid of emoticons entirely, they are an illiterate persons crutch and an excuse for not explaining their thoughts or debating their point of view. Since that's probably not possible how about you provide a facility to block them from view because they can be a negative distraction. When a poster comes along and asks a question that needs a time consuming explanation and lots of detail, it's often annoying to find that next day some idiot has come along and labelled it and two other posts as sad, just because they can, even though in most cases they probably don't understand what was written or have not even bothered to read the post at all. Personally I see repetitive emoticon clicking as baiting and flaming which is in violation of your forum rules, it isn't just written words alone that are those things, can you not do something about these things? Thanks.

"...can you not do something about these things?"

Yes, they can but no they won't, why should they?   Maybe Thaivisa should introduce a "Supercilious" emoji. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2