BANGKOK
watgate

International Driving Permit in Thailand

Can I drive   a car or truck in Thailand legally without a thai driving license? I have a driving license for the US and I would get an international driving permit, so with my license from the US plus an international driving permit would I then be legally able to drive in Thailand? If so does any one know the best place to obtain an international driving permit for Thailand?

22 minutes ago, stouricks said:

It is allowed for three months at any one time in Thailand. No idea why you need a translation of an English license INTO English, not Thia, but hey whatever.

The IDP is usually valid for 12 months.

It's main utility is for getting a Thai license. The lady at the DLT told me without it, she would have no way to verify whether I had a valid license or a counterfeit and would be forced to take the written and physical driving tests. Otherwise just watch the video, take a few color, vision and reaction tests and good to go.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, watgate said:

Can I drive   a car or truck in Thailand legally without a thai driving license? I have a driving license for the US and I would get an international driving permit, so with my license from the US plus an international driving permit would I then be legally able to drive in Thailand? If so does any one know the best place to obtain an international driving permit for Thailand?

The answer to your question is yes, you can.  You get the official IDP only from the US.

Can I drive   a car or truck in Thailand

When you say TRUCK. Do you mean a 6 wheeler or a pick up/ute. Foreigners are not allowed to drive anything with more than 4 wheels.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, tonray said:

It's main utility is for getting a Thai license. The lady at the DLT told me without it, she would have no way to verify whether I had a valid license or a counterfeit and would be forced to take the written and physical driving tests. Otherwise just watch the video, take a few color, vision and reaction tests and good to go.

I just had to show and give a photocopy of my British licence to get a Thai. No idp required. But it could wary in different provinces. 

• Like 2

Just a Uk licence was fine for me too in Chonburi province.

• Like 1

you can ONLY drive cars  .. no motorbikes unless u have usa license to do so  AND it is noted on the IDL

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes you will need motorcycle entitlements to get a Thai bike licence without taking all the tests...but the tests are quite easy

except for the illogical correct answers in the thoery test, the actual practical test is a doddle (compared to the UK)  then you can jump right on that 1300cc Suzuki Hyabussa and zoom off into oblivion.

Edited by johng
  • Haha 1

According to legacy you can, but then you have the insurance companies and most of them state in the "small words" that they only pay out the insurance if the driver has a thai driving certificate. More about the legacy. You can drive on your home contry´s driving licence if you stay in Thailand for three month. If ou stay longer you need to get a Thai driving licence. Not hard to get, but neccesary.

• Like 2