International Driving Permit in Thailand

watgate

Can I drive   a car or truck in Thailand legally without a thai driving license? I have a driving license for the US and I would get an international driving permit, so with my license from the US plus an international driving permit would I then be legally able to drive in Thailand? If so does any one know the best place to obtain an international driving permit for Thailand?

22 minutes ago, stouricks said:

It is allowed for three months at any one time in Thailand. No idea why you need a translation of an English license INTO English, not Thia, but hey whatever.

The IDP is usually valid for 12 months.

It's main utility is for getting a Thai license. The lady at the DLT told me without it, she would have no way to verify whether I had a valid license or a counterfeit and would be forced to take the written and physical driving tests. Otherwise just watch the video, take a few color, vision and reaction tests and good to go.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, watgate said:

Can I drive   a car or truck in Thailand legally without a thai driving license? I have a driving license for the US and I would get an international driving permit, so with my license from the US plus an international driving permit would I then be legally able to drive in Thailand? If so does any one know the best place to obtain an international driving permit for Thailand?

The answer to your question is yes, you can.  You get the official IDP only from the US.

7 hours ago, tonray said:

It's main utility is for getting a Thai license. The lady at the DLT told me without it, she would have no way to verify whether I had a valid license or a counterfeit and would be forced to take the written and physical driving tests. Otherwise just watch the video, take a few color, vision and reaction tests and good to go.

I just had to show and give a photocopy of my British licence to get a Thai. No idp required. But it could wary in different provinces. 

• Like 2

Yes you will need motorcycle entitlements to get a Thai bike licence without taking all the tests...but the tests are quite easy

except for the illogical correct answers in the thoery test, the actual practical test is a doddle (compared to the UK)  then you can jump right on that 1300cc Suzuki Hyabussa and zoom off into oblivion.

Edited by johng
  • Haha 1

According to legacy you can, but then you have the insurance companies and most of them state in the "small words" that they only pay out the insurance if the driver has a thai driving certificate. More about the legacy. You can drive on your home contry´s driving licence if you stay in Thailand for three month. If ou stay longer you need to get a Thai driving licence. Not hard to get, but neccesary.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cooked said:

I drove for a few months with an International permit as some call it, it is actually a certified translation of your home permit into a few other languages, none of them being Thai.

One policeman actually thoughtfully studied it while holding it upside down, saluted and handed it back. 

I believe the IDP is only allowed for three (maybe two) months from date of issue, not that the average policeman would know the difference.

An insurance agent would...

90 days then leave country and 90 days again 

I believe an IDP is not required, just a valid driving licence, from western countries that drive on the left.

May not be the case for US driving licence as they drive on the wrong side of the road.
Quote from: www.travelonline.com › thailand › driving

Driving in Thailand can be done by tourists as long as you hold a valid driver's license in English from your country of origin or a valid International driver's license.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

I believe an IDP is not required, just a valid driving licence, from western countries that drive on the left.

May not be the case for US driving licence as they drive on the wrong side of the road.
Quote from: www.travelonline.com › thailand › driving

Driving in Thailand can be done by tourists as long as you hold a valid driver's license in English from your country of origin or a valid International driver's license.

The comment posted earlier on this thread by ‘cooked’ that the IPD is actually an international translation of your driving licence is correct. It permits you to drive according to local regulations, i.e. in some countries for 90 days in any 12 month period, in others for 90 days each visit and in others for 12 months before you have to get a local licence. 

In Thailand, I believe you can drive on your IDP for up to 90 days, however, there is nothing documented in the Land Transport Act about this - the actual restriction may be your insurance policy. 

An other restriction may be the visa you have entered on, i.e. An IPD may be used by a  Tourist, however, someone who has entered Thailand on a Non-Immigrant visa needs to get a local licence. 

Its all very wishy washy with conflicting information and individual land transport offices confirming different regulations. 

-----

As I understand it an IDP is not required in Thailand for Licenses written in English. I don’t think which side of the road that country drives on matters. 

It's all fairly moot as far as I’m concerned - Obtaining a Local Thai Licence removes any of the grey area regarding legality, duration of vanity of an IDP and removes any doubt as to insurance cover. 

Obtaining a Thai License removes all wiggle room for the BiB and Insurance companies who (under rare circumstances) may behave less than honourably. 

11 hours ago, watgate said:

Specific to the Ops questions: 

1) You obtain an IDP from your home country (I’m not sure if this can be done online for a US license)

2) You don’t need an IDP to get a Thai Licence:

You need: 

1) Copy of Your Passport and Visa Page (any visa is ok, even a Visa Exempt stamp)

2) Affirmation of Residence / Proof of Address (from Embassy or Immigration)

3) Medical Certificate (from a local clinic - specify its for a driving license)

4) Copy of your existing US Driving licence. 

Go to your local Department of Land Transport in the morning 

Show your documents at the information counter, you will be given a ticket (queue number) and told where to queue (length of queue depends on numbers of ppl - it could be 10mins it could be 2 hrs)

Once your numbers are called out, you go into a ‘test room’ and have your Colour Vision checked (not colour blind), your colour periphery vision checked (green, red, yellow lights), Your Reaction tests (break pedal - red light) and your proximity awareness tested (two sticks) - at each test point a ’test paper’ you are given will be stamped. 

You are then told to wait in another queue (again - duration depends how busy they are, 10mins to 1 hrs)

You then have to watch a Video (a highly juvenile video about driving curtesy etc) - its about 45mins long

You then queue for your licence - which again can take a while. 

You pay for your licence at one counter and are told to wait at another counter.

Once called at the next counter your photo is taken and you wait about 2-3 mins for your license to be printed. 

You will be issued a 2 year Temporary Driving License. 

The duration of the whole process can take anywhere from 2hrs to 6hrs. 

As you are holding a US license you will not need to take any physical driving tests. 

If you have a valid Falang country license e.g. England, Aussie, US why not go and get a Thai license? Cheap as chips and easy as pie to get. I went to Phuket Town offices upon retiring. Got there at 7:30 a.m. with all the necessaries  i.e. original Aussie license, passport, photos, and forms. Had one in about an hour - both motorbike and equivalent car, HR (heavy rigid truck) license. Because of age and length of license I had no practical or written test just a reflex/reaction - time and eyesight.

1 hour ago, flexomike said:
8 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

She lied to you, it is not a requirement to be allowed to do the test for foreign licence holders.

If you have one you do not need to do the testing

An IDP does not exempt foreign driving licence-holders from anything that the same DL on it's own does not also exempt them from.  Foreign DL and IDP-holders both have to do the same exercises, i.e. not the full test that an applicant with no licence would have to do.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

To drive in Thailand you need a licence that is either in Thai (hence a Thai licence) or in English hence an international licence (translation of domestic one) for people from non-English speaking countries.  The English language licence, whether UK, USA, or international, is only valid for three months from day of entry.

• Confused 1

If you have a valid license in English and it has a photo ID, no need for an IDP and you are good for up to 3 months after which you need to apply for a Thai license. You need to carry your passport as well as the license. I assume this is so the police can check you have been here less than the 3 months. 

• Confused 1

In the USA you can go to any AAA office and you can get an IDP there.  You'll need two passport size photos but they can do that right there.  The permit is good for 12 months from the day it is issued.  It is valid in all countries that have an agreement to honor the IDP.  

18 hours ago, Parsve said:

According to legacy you can, but then you have the insurance companies and most of them state in the "small words" that they only pay out the insurance if the driver has a thai driving certificate.

That is not correct as a blanket statement, I have had insurance claims settled by Viriyah on three occasions when driving here with a UK licence.

17 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

"...just a valid driving licence, from western countries that drive on the left.

May not be the case for US driving licence as they drive on the wrong side of the road".

That is wrong, Thailand's LTDs don't care what side of the road they drive on in your country.

Edited by Bob A Kneale