International Driving Permit in Thailand

watgate

On 7/15/2020 at 8:03 AM, tonray said:

You can only get a IDP in country of your original license. USA...

That is true... I got one last year from my automobile association in Australia.. I got it online and they posted it to me.  I'm not sure if you could get by post these days or if there is another way to have it sent.. Maybe somebody else here knows a way.. 

14 hours ago, thaibook said:

The English language licence, whether UK, USA, or international, is only valid for three months from day of entry.

Officially, maybe, but when I used my UK licence (for years) I never experienced a police check where I've been asked about my date of entry or had it checked.  No insurer processing a claim ever asked, either.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

4 hours ago, andygrr said:

If you have a valid license in English and it has a photo ID, no need for an IDP and you are good for up to 3 months after which you need to apply for a Thai license. You need to carry your passport as well as the license. I assume this is so the police can check you have been here less than the 3 months. 

When I used my UK licence (for a long time) I had it checked by the police on several occasions and was never once asked for a passport to back it up.

3 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Officially, but when I used my UK licence (for years) I never experienced a police check where I've been asked about my date of entry or had it checked.  No insurer processing a claim ever asked, either.

Officially such a limit doesn't exist, this is only wrong information spread on the internet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Officially, maybe, but when I used my UK licence (for years) I never experienced a police check where I've been asked about my date of entry or had it checked.  No insurer processing a claim ever asked, either.

But if they did, you'd be screwed if it is a large claim. I've known this to happen, not wise not to get a Thai license. 

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
32 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

But if they did, you'd be screwed if it is a large claim. I've known this to happen, not wise not to get a Thai license. 

"...you'd be screwed if it is a large claim. I've known this to happen..."

You have personal experience of that?

Two of those claims of mine were significantly large claims, one was when I was hit from behind at speed while my car was stationary in a jam on the  Chonburi-Bangkok motorway and another when a tourist bus went down the entire side of my car when it was parked on Jomtien beach road, every off-side panel was damaged. I had no issues with the claim, neither was I "screwed" by the insurer.

But, you are right, as a generality, getting a Thai licence does make sense.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

10 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"...you'd be screwed if it is a large claim. I've known this to happen..."

You have personal experience of that?

Two of those claims of mine were significantly large claims, one was when I was hit from behind at speed while my car was stationary in a jam on the  Chonburi-Bangkok motorway and another when a tourist bus went down the entire side of my car when it was parked on Jomtien beach road, every off-side panel was damaged. I had no issues with the claim, neither was I "screwed" by the insurer.

But, you are right, as a generality, getting a Thai licence does make sense.

It is the law! The person I knew killed a motorcyclist and it cost nearly a million baht. 

8 hours ago, mokwit said:

What if you have an old style 'for life' UK license with no photo and a Thai license that expired 20 years ago?

Interesting question: While no paper licences are issued in the UK (since June 2015) paper licenses remain valid. 

My father just renewed his licence online, it arrived in 3 days. 

If you have a UK License, you have a registered UK address (or should have). If you were to renew your license and have someone post it out to you the above question of Paper licence validity overseas would be somewhat moot. 

But, if you are currently in Thailand and driving around on a paper UK license without an IPD, this question then takes on greater significance. 

You should still be able to get a Thai License. Anyone who is in Thailand for longer than a 2 week tourist holiday really should be getting a Thai Licence which then removes any ambiguity of legality to drive whatsoever.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

The funny thing about the US IDP is much of it is in French.

Even funnier is that none of it is in Thai !!!   if you have a licence with your photo on it  and writing in the internationally recognised English language then the IDP is rather useless , however it has been reported

(here on TV) that some "jobsworths" have used not having an IDP as an excuse to fine them..though i have never experienced that before  when using my UK licence  even an ( unintentionally) expired one they looked and where satisfied at the  road block  obviously if I had been in an accident then an expired licence could well have caused some "problems"

Also remember there are 2  IDP treaty standards  Thailand only recognises 1