Rayong businesses hit hard by Egyptian Covid scare

webfact

Kingofthemountain: 

I think you miss the subtext: We foreigners here will not be able to come back to our homes here if we leave the country. So far, only work permit holders and those married to Thais qualify to re-enter, but I assume this is subject now to reassessment. 

(Personally, I don't understand how being married to a Thai enhances your desirability to be able to return here over and above retirees, but few of these dictates makes total sense.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Kingofthemountain: 

I think you miss the subtext: We foreigners here will not be able to come back to our homes here if we leave the country. So far, only work permit holders and those married to Thais qualify to re-enter, but I assume this is subject now to reassessment. 

(Personally, I don't understand how being married to a Thai enhances your desirability to be able to return here over and above retirees, but few of these dictates makes total sense.)

It's obvious the Thais are allowing entry group after group

regarding the economic interest, the size of each group, and the link

the returnees have in Thailand.

That explains why work permit and PR first

then whose with thai wife or thai child.

The retirees should be the next group, but they are also the biggest number.

Personaly i am not concerned as i am retired, and as a retired on a 1 year extension

renewed each year i don't have to go out of Thailand and i don't plan to do it.

But i am not from the ''i am alright Jack'' brigade so i understand the concern

of the ones still stick outside.

My post was more about the tourism, and i am not optimist.

For a short tourism travel, the 14 days quarantine doesn't work

and it's the only safe option for the country.

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Such a completely inane reaction to one person who was Covid positive. Positively ridiculous. You would think this was 1666 in Europe. Insanity prevails. 

So what's the alternative... ignore the fact the the man has tested positive, ignore that he was in a department store shopping for a few hours, probably coming into close contact with numerous people.

So let everything function as normal and keep your fingers crossed that nothing happens?

Or be pro-active and try to contain what could possibly be the start of a new outbreak?

Every outbreak starts with one stupid person.... I don't call this an inane reaction.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Such a completely inane reaction to one person who was Covid positive. Positively ridiculous. You would think this was 1666 in Europe. Insanity prevails. 

Perhaps you would like to move to a country that has been lax in it's CV19 actions - the UK for example. 

I am quite happy with the 'inane' reaction and believe that, until a vaccine is available, the Thai government should continue it's policy of protecting all who reside here.

It was 'inane' reactions that helped contain CV19 when there were outbreaks after the Bangkok cockfight and also absconders from returning flights. Local lockdowns prevented the spread of the virus. Overkill, or not, Thailand's numbers speak volumes for the success of the actions........ figures for the USA/UK etc tell a different story.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

You probably also say "It´s not my fault that I got HIV"

What has HIV got to do it, Thai government allowed these people in totally unchecked and then endangered ALL of us living here by letting them wander around Rayong, not doubt that the only thought was spend your money, look  how we are helping the economy not one thought for the citizens health!!!

Edited by mickyr55
Wrong word

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I ‘did’ have a fairly strong opinion that state quarantine wasn’t necessary.

I figured that ‘most’ people would be able to effectively isolate at their homes and those who couldn’t, i.e. those who lived with people who had to travel to work or were key workers etc could then opt to quarantine in a state facility. 

I was obviously wrong. People just cannot be trusted to do the right thing. 

I isolated myself in the UK upon arrival in April, which meant renting a small cottage for two weeks. I went to the supermarket twice, masking up and wearing gloves to protect others.

IF people were reasonable quarantine would not be necessary, clearly people are not. 

This also shows how easily a wave of xenophobia can sweep the nation. Thai’s are blaming Egypt, when Thai’s themselves have broken quarantine up on return. 

When the target of outrage is a foreigner the extent of the outrage seems more evident. 

It’s clear the Thai Government are responsible for not expressing the seriousness of the lockdown and isolation to these men. But also for letting them in under different conditions forced upon everyone else. 

Then of course there is the Egyptian himself who has now caused an international incident - he’s in enough hot water at home now !!!

I agree, but do we know if the Egyptian soldiers had the same diplomatic immunity as the Sudanese family under international law? Of course Thailand can revoke diplomatic immunity and violate international law, but the repercussions of such an act would be very serious. Thai officials and diplomats all around the world would lose their diplomatic immunity no matter what their job title is or who they are in Thai society or Thai culture. This isn't about preferential treatment of foreigners versus Thais repatriating and you can't blame foreigners for this. The Thai government opened its borders to diplomats and representatives of other countries. I would suggest that the people in this forum that like to blame foreigners do their research and use the brain God gave you before making comments based on your ignorance.

17 hours ago, Dave0206 said:

I read a few days ago of a foreigner being sued for 500,000 for stray golf ball hitting caddy I avoid golf as someone said just ruins a good walk or something along that lines.

but perhaps more importantly any of us could become infected and inadvertently cause any business to close for a unspecified period of time since all of us farangs are dirty and rich I wonder when the lawsuit claims will start.?

FORE

Anywhere else in the western world this would be a laughable action. Perhaps Charlie Chan should have shouted FORE before the Egyptians landed? 

13 hours ago, Trujillo said:

So let's get this straight: Thailand has shown that even a single non-Thai from outside the country testing positive and spending only one day in the population sends the entire country into a spasm of fear. 

We can now understand more of what may happen in the future if Thailand expects to retain a ZERO CASE rate -- a totally unrealistic goal. 

Bottom line: If the government and the public freak out over a single positive foreigner (who may not have actually infected anyone; it's too early to tell yet) imagine what will happen when they allow tourists back in? There WILL be transmissions from foreigners, it's an absolute certainty. What then? 

I dare you to sneeze next time you go out and see. 

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So what's the alternative... ignore the fact the the man has tested positive, ignore that he was in a department store shopping for a few hours, probably coming into close contact with numerous people.

So let everything function as normal and keep your fingers crossed that nothing happens?

Or be pro-active and try to contain what could possibly be the start of a new outbreak?

Every outbreak starts with one stupid person.... I don't call this an inane reaction.

No. To begin with you hold the army accountable for the error, just as was the case with the Lumpini boxing event. Strike two, Prayuth. Then you do what you can to check and sterilize. You do not create a nationwide panic over one person. That is inane. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No. To begin with you hold the army accountable for the error, just as was the case with the Lumpini boxing event. Strike two, Prayuth. Then you do what you can to check and sterilize. You do not create a nationwide panic over one person. That is inane. 

According to latest news 3 people who were at the same mall returned to Nakhon Ratchasima and have symptoms of Covid.... it's just gone nation wide. [if the hospital/government confirm the cases] which is doubtful as they don't wish to loose the 50+ days without local infections record.

Check & sterilise yes agreed.

Holding the army & the PM accountable is like pi**ing against the wind !

Since the senate is totally bought and paid for here, how about a massive vote of no confidence on the part of the public? Millions despise the army. Get rid of Prayuth and the super incompetent army, once and for all. Has to happen sooner or later. Sooner is far better for the masses. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

"...and have symptoms of Covid."

That's the sensational take. The actual news is that a mother and daughter (not sure where you got the stray) had a fever and sore throat, respectively. 

These is also the "symptoms" of just about everything but the kitchen sink. 

The "infected" soldier went to only one mall, wore a mask from the time of leaving his hotel (as did all the soldiers), did not buy anything and did not eat anything. They passed temperature checks and used hand sanitizer at the mall. 

Because of this, Disease Control Department director-general Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai said there was minimal chance of a viral transmission.

If you want to make a Contagion movie out of this small incident, be my guest. But the fact is this was not the five-alarm fire some, including you Hotchilli, want to make it out to me. Calm down; take a breath. 

Wearing masks became compulsory in Australia’s second-largest city, Melbourne, as hot spot Victoria state posted 403 new cases and five deaths. Much of the spread is blamed on sick workers who do not take time off from their jobs while they wait for coronavirus test results. The wait for those results has usually been two days. The state government announced Thursday that workers who do not have sick leave will be eligible for a one-time support payment of 300 Australian dollars ($213) while they await test results.

Also: Melbourne security bribed to let quaranteen persons out

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1181911/sex-coronavirus-victims-melbourne-hotel-outbreak-guards/?utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly