Where to find beef cattle buyers?

My wife has 14 charolais mix beef cattle has had no problem selling in the past price per kilo, at the moment she wants to sell 7 bulls 400-500 kg each but can't find a buyer she has loads of contacts they're either not buying offering to low a price or not even answering the phone, the reason she wants to offload these 7 is bcos she's worried the country will be locked down again and won't be able to travel to buy new. Some pics attached. Thanks

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Where are you located? 

Here in Sisaket people are buying cows like crazies! 

You could sell the whole lot in a matter of hours... 

We're in Kalasin

Edited by Hellboy75
Spelling

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

That's far...with transportation cost, that would probably be not worth it...

Normally most of them head over your way to Pakse Laos or Nong Khai then on to Laos before going to China but bcos the borders are closed none of the Viet middle men are in the country

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hellboy75 said:

Normally most of them head over your way to Pakse Laos or Nong Khai then on to Laos before going to China but bcos the borders are closed none of the Viet middle men are in the country

So I have been told buyers from Vietnam are still in the country, looking for beef cattle for export  back to Vietnam.

A price of 92 baht/kg is not bad, but those cattle are good cattle, and with some Charolais in them you should get almost 100 baht /kg.

If I was your wife I would keep them a while longer, weather the storm.

But, a big but, looking at those  cattle she is doing them well, must be feeing then well,  can she afford to keep them without staring to lose money .

Cattle prices are going up, but fat cattle price is remaining  about the same price,  younger cattle are selling for a good price if she does sell them she will have to pay more for some replacements, she is almost caught between a rock and a hard place. 

15 minutes ago, kickstart said:

So I have been told buyers from Vietnam are still in the country, looking for beef cattle for export  back to Vietnam.

A price of 92 baht/kg is not bad, but those cattle are good cattle, and with some Charolais in them you should get almost 100 baht /kg.

But, a big but, looking at those  cattle she is doing them well, must be feeing then well,  can she afford to keep them without staring to lose money .

Cattle prices are going up, but fat cattle price is remaining  about the same price,  younger cattle are selling for a good price if she does sell them she will have to pay more for some replacements, she is almost caught between a rock and a hard place. 

Thanks for the reply and info, she's been told that in surin there's no Vietnamese at the moment and ppl are paying 87bht kg somebody offered 85 bht kg last week and 2 weeks ago in mahasarakham they were paying 93 bht kg all headed towards the border, she was in contact with some big farms and a professor today who have given her more info and numbers to call he also said once the borders open he thinks there might not be enough cattle in Thailand to meet the demand which will make all prices rocket and like you say once sold got to replace, but our contact in surin who helps her source the cattle said the price around him is the same as before some weeks it goes up if the markets busy

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kickstart said:

On feeding them they have concentrate mixed with brewers grain and fermented cassava followed by grass then some rice straw x2 daily in the morning vitamins mixed with the food she's got roughly about 4 rai of different napier and sweet israel and one called superleaf which is a hybrid 

11 hours ago, Hellboy75 said:

he also said once the borders open he thinks there might not be enough cattle in Thailand to meet the demand which will make all prices rocket 

There are some cattle programs/incentives, in Sisaket.

The schemes are fully financed by some government bank.

Interested farmers receive up to 10 cows which they have to feed until they are ready to hit the market, where they are sold at a guaranteed price (about 100 baht per kilo these days).

With the proceeds the farmer has to buy new cows, and can pocket the profit.

Right now, there are 3 or 4 of these new cattle raisers just in my village.

It seems that the powers that be have been thinking about the growing demand, and are getting ready to increase the supply.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

There are some cattle programs/incentives, in Sisaket.

The schemes are fully financed by some government bank.

Interested farmers receive up to 10 cows which they have to feed until they are ready to hit the market, where they are sold at a guaranteed price (about 100 baht per kilo these days).

With the proceeds the farmer has to buy new cows, and can pocket the profit.

Right now, there are 3 or 4 of these new cattle raisers just in my village.

It seems that the powers that be have been thinking about the growing demand, and are getting ready to increase the supply.

Yes especially now that China won't be importing Australian beef 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

There is still a lot of work to do in order to bring Thai beef to the level of quality of Australian beef. 

The meat here tends to be as tender as tire rubber... 

I agree but the premium beef industry here is growing 

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

No such thing as a free lunch ,this scheme was financed by the farmers bank BAAC , a government backed bank.

The idea is,  BAAC  loan's  you the money to buy the cattle ,you go to your local cattle  feed shop open an account ,and get the  cattle feed on credit, after 6 months the BAAC  buys your cattle like you said at 100baht/kg, then they take off the cost of the loaned money to buy the cattle ,and the cost of the feed.

BAAC  will pay back cattle feed shop.

One thing after 6 months cattle, a lot depending on breed,  cattle will not have put on much weight ,if the owner is only going to feed rice straw or grass cut from the roadside as a forage he will have to feed a lot of concentrate feed to get any weight gain,so reducing your profit margin ,if the farmer has some good quality grass to feed the cattle he can reduce concentrate  feed and so feed costs will be lowered.

As most farmers will feed the cheapest feed ,a 12% protein  feed ,and poor quality forage the cattle will not grow, diet being  short of protein  and energy, if he tries and feed just poor quality forage they will not grow at all.

The scheme does not cover vet bills if any, 

By the time the cattle are sold all the costs are taken out ,they will not be a lot left if anything, some farmers in this area looked in to it, a lot were  dairy farmers thinking they could make a bit using their dairy cow feed ,they all worked it out that no money could be made ,to many costs.

Seems that this is yet another government scheme looks good on paper but in practice dose not work. 

Thsnks for all this info.

I am not involved in the scheme, but I will relay it to the interested parties.

37 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Puts Aussie beef to shame..???? Just up from Prasat/Surin.

image.png.a7cd1695bfeec86d49b47bde93af15f0.png

image.png.3ae66ebce9576e8aa61c2c8c92089689.png

https://www.facebook.com/jaleena.lin

Very nice piece of meat.

I asked the wife to look into it...Prasat is not too far from home...

On 7/15/2020 at 8:58 PM, kickstart said:

My wife spoke to the owner of the big holding farms he said wait it won't be long now his pens hold 800 in Sisaket near the border he's currently extending to hold 2000, he's got buyers all over the country and has one in khon Kaen so basically wait a little bit then they will collect them is the msg. 

On 7/16/2020 at 10:24 AM, Hellboy75 said:

I agree but the premium beef industry here is growing 

It is all right rearing good premium beef ,but can you get a premium price for your stock when you sell them, feed inputs will be high to get the quality.

Buyers for this class of stock will be far a few, and will be very fussy ,and they will find any excuse to knock the price down, and you will not have a lot of choice on the price being offered. 

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

It is all right rearing good premium beef ,but can you get a premium price for your stock when you sell them, feed inputs will be high to get the quality.

Buyers for this class of stock will be far a few, and will be very fussy ,and they will find any excuse to knock the price down, and you will not have a lot of choice on the price being offered. 

Yes you're 100% right but as the market grows surely things will improve? 

13 minutes ago, Hellboy75 said:

Yes you're 100% right but as the market grows surely things will improve? 

Do you have any idea of how much one of these wagyu beasts cost in Thailand (I mean the cow, not the meat)?

Edited by Brunolem

3 hours ago, Hellboy75 said:

The wife just told me wagyu calves go for 40,000 bht

That would not be expensive considering the insane prices at which they buy and sell brahman cows around here... 80,000 baht and counting for a mother and her calf...

And you can do nothing with a brahman, except hoping to sell it back at a higher price...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

Can you buy cows here 3 in 1 coffee style, pregnant cow with a calf at foot?

Possible but in my area it is extremely difficult to know for sure if a cow is pregnant or not.

The farmers don't know sh.t, and only an echography can confirm the pregnancy.

Problem is there are very few machines around because the farmers who don't hesitate to pay 70,000 baht for a cow, are not ready to pay an extra 500 baht to make sure that it is pregnant!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

That would not be expensive considering the insane prices at which they buy and sell brahman cows around here... 80,000 baht and counting for a mother and her calf...

And you can do nothing with a brahman, except hoping to sell it back at a higher price...

A neighbour who's a relative of my wife her brahman gave birth last friday but hadn't had a calf for 2 years kicked the calf twice on the Sunday and it died Monday morning they sold the mother about an hour later for 50,000

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

The farmers don't know sh.t, and only an echograph can confirm the pregnancy.

Department of Livestock Development in Kap Choeng uses echograph on all project cows over 600 which 100 are at my wife's location and it is used on none project cows as well. Sounds like your in the wrong location.

Edited by khwaibah