Where to find beef cattle buyers?

Just now, Hellboy75 said:

This bloke who exports is it he supplies you the cattle then you feed it his food and recipe which he deducts at the end? 

That was one option, but not interested in working for wages on my own farm. Sure to end in tears. The only thing I wanted was to see if there are any buyers. I have a lot more to learn about the whole process. 

33 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

That was one option, but not interested in working for wages on my own farm. Sure to end in tears. The only thing I wanted was to see if there are any buyers. I have a lot more to learn about the whole process. 

I think your definitely right that it's going to end in tears for a lot of ppl the government and Bank seem to be really trying to push it to ppl and for some they seem to expect to get rich quick with minimal effort my theory is lots have had cattle and they spent no time looking after them put them in a field in the morning bring them back at night they don't realise what's involved, my wife's cousin has had a feedlot for around 5 years he started with 4 at 1 point was up to 24 but he's tried to get rich quick he's told lies used bits of money for other failed ventures and all his land papers are in the bank he's just bought 12 cattle ordered online from ppl he's dealt with before they turned up on Monday they're all tiny and iv been told something wrong with nearly all the legs he payed 23,000 per head they said they will take them back at 20,000 per head so he's keeping them

12 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

They were higher than I expected but I have no base to comment. I looked at a Charolais cow and heifer calf and the price was 39K.

A Charolais cow and a heifer calf for 39K ,not a bad price how old was the calf .

• Like 1

Like I said before ,this 4 month scheme can not work it will take 4 months just to get some condition on the cattle, sounds like a lot of the breeds are Indo Brazil crosses,forget trying to fatten them, Thoongfoned said, cutting grass from roadside's ect ,is not going to fatten anything .

Hellboys wives cousin case in point, buying online , not a smart move ,is it the feet are  the problem toes curled up, were  they have been in a shed the whole time never done any serious walking to wear the feet/toes down. 

13 hours ago, Hellboy75 said:

We visited mahasarakham last weekend went to a couple of farms one was completely closed to visitors because in the province they have haemmoragic septacemia (forgive my spelling) I don't know if this would effect things

We have had it around here ,form of Pasteurellosis  one of the causes is cattle on a poor diet ,and dirty conditions ,ie in a shed 27/7 that is never cleaned out ,and  feed rice straw ,it can be cured takes prompt action with the right drugs ,see below .

It is not like Foot and Mouth, if this guy had it he wants to improve his management big time ,a bit like most cattle farms come to that 

haemorrhagic septicaemia - OIE

PDF

13 hours ago, kickstart said:

We have had it around here ,form of Pasteurellosis  one of the causes is cattle on a poor diet ,and dirty conditions ,ie in a shed 27/7 that is never cleaned out ,and  feed rice straw ,it can be cured takes prompt action with the right drugs ,see below .

It is not like Foot and Mouth, if this guy had it he wants to improve his management big time ,a bit like most cattle farms come to that 

haemorrhagic septicaemia - OIE

PDF

I'm not saying he had it but its a big farm around 800 cattle but its definitely in mahasarakham the wife has told me khon Kaen, mahasarakham, roi et and some markets in Kalasin are all shut at the moment in regards to her cousins cattle I haven't seen them he doesn't live near us

Here are some pics of mahasarakham Market when I last visited this is about 6 am people still turning up photos don't really show how big it is they have a tannoy system announcing the big farms when they arrive lop buri were there. I'll get some pics of sikoraphum this weekend if I remember 

IMG_20200108_062311.jpg

IMG_20200108_062308.jpg

• Like 1

Good photos, some  good stock ,not all thin ,the rise in prices seems to be nationwide ,place near me sells water melons ,often buy one ,they have a few beef cows white Brahman a good average ,in condition .

Went they 3 days ago he had sold one of the cows 52k baht  I said was it in calf ,he said been served but not PD'ed.

I have seen it before prices go up then crash back down ,I think?it is this government scheme the, 4 month one pushing prices up farmers thinking a get-rich-quick scheme. 

18 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Good photos, some  good stock ,not all thin ,the rise in prices seems to be nationwide ,place near me sells water melons ,often buy one ,they have a few beef cows white Brahman a good average ,in condition .

Went they 3 days ago he had sold one of the cows 52k baht  I said was it in calf ,he said been served but not PD'ed.

I have seen it before prices go up then crash back down ,I think?it is this government scheme the, 4 month one pushing prices up farmers thinking a get-rich-quick scheme. 

I would say due to the low profit on rice, the current good returns, for little outlay, from breeding cattle more small farmers are prepared to put a little land to grass and perhaps increase the amount of cattle they carry. Hence those that are a little late to the party are pushing the price up to get involved. 

On 7/19/2020 at 3:28 PM, Brunolem said:

In theory it might, but the small farmers who raise the cattle are not setting the prices.

So it is difficult to say if a temporary price increase for the consumer would benefit the local farmers.

So it seems I was right... I pointed out the control of imported beef could drive up prices, is the higher prices now benefiting local farmers?

https://www.mcot.net/viewtna/5f081832e3f8e40af145e777

1 hour ago, Tounge Thaied said:

So it seems I was right... I pointed out the control of imported beef could drive up prices, is the higher prices now benefiting local farmers?

Possibly, the interest in improving cattle quality and turning paddy into grassland has been ongoing for at least a couple years, both Wagyu and Charloais have been introduced and pushed in our area. Maybe alongside the increase in prices is an increase in homegrown product quality for export.

18 hours ago, 473geo said:

Possibly, the interest in improving cattle quality and turning paddy into grassland has been ongoing for at least a couple years, both Wagyu and Charloais have been introduced and pushed in our area. Maybe alongside the increase in prices is an increase in homegrown product quality for export.

The price only really increased over the last few weeks the borders still aren't open and alot of the big holding farms are full we were told by a man we deal with in Surin that he thinks ppl have anticipated the borders opening and the price at the moment is the future price that said you still can get a deal lots of markets are shut because of disease so their's more sellers than buyers the only problem is the big farms pay whatever the price, a cattle trader we know from Roi Et was at the market he said he had various sizes in his sheds and to visit him on Wednesday he would do a better deal than he was offering at the market also the Surin man I mentioned said if we wanted a small market near him on Mondays none of the big farms visit you can buy at the old price I think my wife is happy with what we got and we didn't pay much over the odds for the sizes we got. 

On 7/20/2020 at 6:28 AM, Brunolem said:

In theory it might, but the small farmers who raise the cattle are not setting the prices.

So it is difficult to say if a temporary price increase for the consumer would benefit the local farmers.

21 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Brunolem is right small farmers have very little effect on beef prices that is beef on the hook ,the price increase at this time is for beef cows ,and 12-20 month old stock brought for fattening, supply and demand ,they is a ready market so the price is going up .

Hellboy's wife has brought some more cattle ,I take it she has sold the original few she had if she did,did she get 100 baht/kg ?, good if she did ,this time last year it would have been 120-130baht kg ,especially as they  are Charolais x's .

If anything  margins are lower now as stock replacement  price increases selling price is lower ,and other costs go up, my feed just went up 10 baht /50 kg sack last week .

Imported beef is sold at your Macro's  ect ,most Thai locals get their  beef from the local fresh market our market sells beef for 25-270 baht/kg been that price for 1-2 years ,not a big market.all  local stock .

But,I did buy some Thai Angus rib eye steak at our local Macro ,mixed in with all the imported beef  very nice to, 250 baht for  less than 1/2 kg in weight that must have come from a company farm ,certainly not the end of our Soi, like a lot of things it will be the big company farms making the money from the control of imported beef not the local farmers .     

On 8/10/2020 at 8:59 PM, kickstart said:

Brunolem is right small farmers have very little effect on beef prices that is beef on the hook ,the price increase at this time is for beef cows ,and 12-20 month old stock brought for fattening, supply and demand ,they is a ready market so the price is going up .

Hellboy's wife has brought some more cattle ,I take it she has sold the original few she had if she did,did she get 100 baht/kg ?, good if she did ,this time last year it would have been 120-130baht kg ,especially as they  are Charolais x's .

If anything  margins are lower now as stock replacement  price increases selling price is lower ,and other costs go up, my feed just went up 10 baht /50 kg sack last week .

Imported beef is sold at your Macro's  ect ,most Thai locals get their  beef from the local fresh market our market sells beef for 25-270 baht/kg been that price for 1-2 years ,not a big market.all  local stock .

But,I did buy some Thai Angus rib eye steak at our local Macro ,mixed in with all the imported beef  very nice to, 250 baht for  less than 1/2 kg in weight that must have come from a company farm ,certainly not the end of our Soi, like a lot of things it will be the big company farms making the money from the control of imported beef not the local farmers .     

She got 92 bht a kg only by having 2 competing buyers lots of ppl seem to think 90 is a good price now they started at 89 bht a kg she wasn't that happy with their weight a couple were huge but the average was in the low 400s so some were undersized this time round but no gut beer for 5 weeks and illness for a couple weeks meant they were only on grass and straw for a couple of weeks so that's nearly 2 months of them reaching maximum gains but that's how it goes sometimes smaller profit than she was anticipating on to the next lot

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as in this thread a few ppl doing different things with livestock has anybody come across any methods where ppl have tried to con them?. My wife showed me a few photos the other day of a truck with a tank that had been fabricated underneath which held at least 200 kg of water which would obviously be drained  before being weighed again after loading, any other things we should all be looking out for? 

2 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

A neighbour kept pigs and he would add a powder to the feed that made them as thirsty as hell just before a buyer was due. I believe it added some 5 to 10 kgs to the pigs weight.

I suppose you could do the same thing to cattle.

My wife told me with pigs they somehow load the cage that they're transported in with water this with ppl who bring scales with them weigh one cage that's loaded then drain it I'm not saying it's gospel but with cows we were told to feed them 5 kg of old bananas each the night before again I don't know if it works

6 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

A neighbour kept pigs and he would add a powder to the feed that made them as thirsty as hell just before a buyer was due. I believe it added some 5 to 10 kgs to the pigs weight.

I suppose you could do the same thing to cattle.

Would  the powder be salt, that would make them thirsty.

With cattle, I have heard of it before, a long time ago, some farmers used to put salt in the feed the night before they went to market making them drink more water, not certain if it put any weight on .

7 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Would  the powder be salt, that would make them thirsty.

With cattle, I have heard of it before, a long time ago, some farmers used to put salt in the feed the night before they went to market making them drink more water, not certain if it put any weight on .

In my experience buyers preferred a 'tight' gut to a hanging belly, indeed when showing cattle water was often limited for a couple of weeks prior to tighten up the gut.

• 2 weeks later...

Cattle price has gone mad up to 97-98 bht a kg the Vietnamese buying everything they can all breeds, next door to me sold a male 9 month brahman to a family member on Thursday for 37,000 he took it to a small local market this morning and sold it for 42,000

29 minutes ago, Hellboy75 said:

Cattle price has gone mad up to 97-98 bht a kg the Vietnamese buying everything they can all breeds, next door to me sold a male 9 month brahman to a family member on Thursday for 37,000 he took it to a small local market this morning and sold it for 42,000

Good hear - thanks

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hellboy75 said:

Ok. So my predictions have come true... ????

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

I have seen a number of beef cattle come and go around here but I have no idea if they are being weighed to agree a price. I assume it is done on a weighbridge including the vehicle. Can someone fill me in? 

That's the way we do it (no pun intended) vehicles weighed then loaded then weighed again

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

I have seen a number of beef cattle come and go around here but I have no idea if they are being weighed to agree a price. I assume it is done on a weighbridge including the vehicle. Can someone fill me in? 

1 hour ago, Hellboy75 said:

That's the way we do it (no pun intended) vehicles weighed then loaded then weighed again

Around here they are done by eye ,most cattle dealers have been the job for a few years and are not normally far out,  it is mainly cull dairy cows (which the price has also  gone up a lot over the past month).

Prices are getting silly, a local guy selling a  6-month-old red Brahman bull 25 000 baht ,that would make our two bulls ,one about 1 year ,the other 9 months 80k ish nice if you can get it .

Buyers from Vietnam are also in this area ,hence the price hike?