[Expat Explore] Why is it that more Expats don’t choose to live on a Thailand Island?

Phuket offers everything (at higher cost) and it is an island with very clean air (AQI around 50!). 

there are quiet parts of phuket where you can avoid noise and relax, and drive anywhere when you need something. 

• Like 2

I can always holiday on an island when I feel I need a break from urban BKK. BKK has all the necessities including efficient transportation to make life smoother and more enjoyable. I don't have a car and don't need one. I enjoy living in a modern apartment with built-in security, pool, & gym. When you get older, you need these conveniences. If you have to make money, you need the access a big city can give you. Circumstances differ with everyone. If you just want to escape people, or modern life, an island might be a good choice. Islands are often run by 'families', who want control and will scheme to get it. You are more 'noticeable' on an island, different, and stand out like a celebrity. I could go and on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They fear incest. Islands are very tiny and beaches are not special after a week. Got nothing to do with Thailand but with islands in general.
And price wise, I could live at prettier beach or island destinations ouside TH than here too..

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 7/15/2020 at 4:58 PM, thequietman said:

Island life would be perfect if I didn't need money, not need to work online, and if they didn't require the totally unnecessary 90 day reports that I have had to do 4 times a year for 15 years!

The hour 20 drive used to annoy me 4 times a year over the past 4 years, however last one done on line, next one due online next month, and now that there is no more TM30 unless one changes their address, immigration is once a year, yippee ki yay mf's......... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

It gets boring... but lovely for a vacation... 

I was on Koh Chang nearly 20 years ago... 5 years later, people were telling me I would not recognize it... and that was 15 years ago... 

True, even my first visit in 2012 was not the same 2 years later. They ruined it with concrete etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Never really thought about island living.

I live 1 block from the beach, in hind sight we should have bought further away from the water.

More peaceful and maybe less neighbours

What part of Thailand you at ?

Not enough to stir the senses. Once you have eaten at all the restaurants and drank in all the bars it gets boring.

Much easier to find new places to eat and drink in a city.

But each to their own.

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

The hour 20 drive used to annoy me 4 times a year over the past 4 years, however last one done on line, next one due online next month, and now that there is no more TM30 unless one changes their address, immigration is once a year, yippee ki yay mf's......... 

You can do the 90 day report on Koh Chang.

• Like 1