Bangkok Bank London

I have used Bangkok Bank London to transfer money to Thailand for the last three years with out a problem ,i received an email

from my bank (Santander London) to say Bangkok Bank had sent the money i had arranged to be sent 13/july / this year back to

them .I cant see any reason for this and as i had said never ever a problem before .Has any body else encountered this problem

with Bangkok Bank London recently .

54 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I have used Bangkok Bank London to transfer money to Thailand for the last three years with out a problem ,i received an email

from my bank (Santander London) to say Bangkok Bank had sent the money i had arranged to be sent 13/july / this year back to

them .I cant see any reason for this

What do you mean when you say that you "have used Bangkok Bank London to transfer money to Thailand from Santander"? 

Do you mean that you simply instructed your bank, Santander, to transfer money to a nominated bank/account in Thailand, or, did you specifically instruct Santander to transfer funds to Bangkok Bank, London, and then on to the Thai bank?   Surely BBL, London is just acting as a correspondent bank for Santander in the transaction?

Are you saying that Santander is telling you that funds generally now cannot be transferred to Thailand because of this (not likely) or that there has just been a hiccup with this one transfer request?

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Like 1

I have sent money from Santander to Bangkok Bank London they then send to Bangkok Bank Thailand , I have done this for three years , I fill in a prefilled form from Santander with my account numbers never a problem before . Monday the money was sent as normal to Bangkok Bank London they then sent the money back to Santander the same day .I have a repeated the operation today and now wait to see what happens , it just seemed strange after three years of problem free transfers for it to have gone wrong .

Like you say may be just a hiccup , i will let you know if my latest request is a success .

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

Like you say may be just a hiccup , i will let you know if my latest request is a success .

If your repeat transfer is once again rejected, I think that you need to seek an explanation from BKKB's London branch. Relevant contact details as stated on their website are as follows:-

Exchequer Court,

33 St. Mary Axe, London

EC3A 8BY, United Kingdom

Business Hours: Monday-Friday (9:30a.m.-3:00p.m.)
Tel
: (44) 20 7929 4422 (from outside UK) or 020 7929 4422 (from UK)

Fax: (44) 20 7283 3988 (from outside UK) or 020 7283 3988 (from UK)

SWIFT: BKKB GB 2L

Email: [email protected]

5 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

What do you mean when you say that you "have used Bangkok Bank London to transfer money to Thailand from Santander"? 

Do you mean that you simply instructed your bank, Santander, to transfer money to a nominated bank/account in Thailand, or, did you specifically instruct Santander to transfer funds to Bangkok Bank, London, and then on to the Thai bank?   Surely BBL, London is just acting as a correspondent bank for Santander in the transaction?

Are you saying that Santander is telling you that funds generally now cannot be transferred to Thailand because of this (not likely) or that there has just been a hiccup with this one transfer request?

He is almost certainly using Bangkok Bank's facility for transferring funds from a UK account to an account of theirs in Thailand via their London branch, as described in the following link:-

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

You might want to check that the transfer didn't failed due to new Confirmation of Payee which were implemented June 30th 2020

Before June 30th 2020 you could transfer money just using account number and sort code

From July 1st 2020 you now need Full name, account number and sort code

https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/confirmation-of-payee#:~:text=Payee combat fraud%3F-,Confirmation of Payee is a new way of giving customers,in the fight against fraud.

It states on this website that current transfers should not be affected by new  change  but over time might be

9 hours ago, harry94 said:

I have sent money from Santander to Bangkok Bank London they then send to Bangkok Bank Thailand , I have done this for three years , I fill in a prefilled form from Santander with my account numbers never a problem before . Monday the money was sent as normal to Bangkok Bank London they then sent the money back to Santander the same day .I have a repeated the operation today and now wait to see what happens , it just seemed strange after three years of problem free transfers for it to have gone wrong .

Same problem here . I tried to send money on Monday through London branch via Nationwide. And again this morning UK time and it’s back in my account. Have never had a problem with this service which I have used for many years. It’s obviously the London branch having the problem. The last time I transferred successfully was about 2 weeks ago . 

Edited by goldenbrwn1

I have given up with Bangkok Bank i cannot be worrying if my money will arrive and i think to just refuse to accept my transfer

without explanation is out of order , I have now sent money (uk pounds) direct to my Bangkok bank account via Santander .

Their charge is £25 pounds .I have seven hundred bahts in my wallet to last until money arrives .

(i do have 800000 bahts for my visa extension but only use in a case of severe emergency )

Thank you all for your advice it is much appreciated . If any problems do happen i will keep you all up to date .

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

You might want to check that the transfer didn't failed due to new Confirmation of Payee which were implemented June 30th 2020

Before June 30th 2020 you could transfer money just using account number and sort code

From July 1st 2020 you now need Full name, account number and sort code

https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/confirmation-of-payee#:~:text=Payee combat fraud%3F-,Confirmation of Payee is a new way of giving customers,in the fight against fraud.

It states on this website that current transfers should not be affected by new  change  but over time might be

Might not this link:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/11973908/new-anti-fraud-rules-for-bank-transfers-come-into-force-june-30-heres-how-they-will-affect-you/

which you included at post #7 in the thread on the Banking Forum at

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1171396-problem-setting-up-transferwise-acc-on-nationwide/page/2/#comments

also be of relevance here?

This refers to new rules which Nationwide and Santander hoped to have in place by the end of June, which aim appears to have been achieved in both cases judging from @harry94's and @goldenbrwn1's posts on this particular thread. In which case the problem would appear to lie with Nationwide and Santander rather than Bangkok Bank's London branch and is also going to close off the TransferWise route for making transfers from Santander and Nationwide accounts to Thai bank accounts, is it not? If so, then SWIFT (as I assume @harry94 has used for his latest transfer) will eventually be the only permissible way of effecting transfers from UK to Thai bank accounts. A right PITA for those of us needing to make regular monthly transfers equal to 65,000 THB or 40,000 THB from our UK to Thai accounts for Immigration purposes, of course.

I, too, have been using the Bangkok Bank London branch facility for my monthly 65,000 THB transfers, most recently as a fortnight ago, on the basis of a standing order which I have set up with my UK bank. But, there again, my UK bank is not included in the list of those who, according to the Sun article, have already introduced the new rules. However, I shall, in the light of this thread, be watching nervously how the August transfer goes in a few weeks time.

Edited by OJAS

15 hours ago, harry94 said:

I have another sum of money going out tomorrow , i will let you know if successful or not , thank you for the information if a problem i will contact Bangkok Bank London .

Use Transferwise instead.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

In which case the problem would appear to lie with Nationwide and Santander rather than Bangkok Bank's London branch and is also going to close off the TransferWise route for making transfers from Santander and Nationwide accounts to Thai bank accounts, is it not? 

Are you saying that Nationwide will refuse to transfer into a Transferwise GBP account?

I sent an email to Bangkok Bank London from their website , it has come back as not recognized email address ,

No surprise there , if my transfer from Santander Bank to my Bank in Thailand works out that is what i will stick with

in the future .

2 hours ago, stouricks said:

Are you saying that Nationwide will refuse to transfer into a Transferwise GBP account?

Actually I think upon reflection that TransferWise should be OK, and apologies for spreading any unnecessary alarm.

As I now understand the position, the Bangkok Bank problem arises from a requirement which Nationwide (along with a number of other banks, including Santander) introduced on 1st July for the name of the Bangkok Bank UK account holder into which transfers from UK accounts are initially credited for onward processing to be specified for payee confirmation purposes in addition to the relevant the 6-digit sort code and 8-digit account number. And it is the name in which this account is held that appears to be the big mystery as far as Bangkok Bank is concerned. In this connection, transfers via the London branch are in originating UK bank statements labelled with the first and last names of the beneficiary Thai bank account holder, which is completely irrelevant for payee confirmation at the UK end.

On the other hand, TransferWise transfers are labelled as "TransferWise" in originating UK bank statements - which presumably equates to the account holder name for payee confirmation purposes.

@vinny41 - does all this sound OK to you, please?

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, harry94 said:

13 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Same problem here . I tried to send money on Monday through London branch via Nationwide. And again this morning UK time and it’s back in my account. Have never had a problem with this service which I have used for many years. It’s obviously the London branch having the problem. The last time I transferred successfully was about 2 weeks ago . 

What I find particularly disturbing in these 2 cases is that neither Santander nor Nationwide appear to be applying Confirmation Of Payee procedures correctly and are merely hoisting the white flag of surrender in a defeatist manner by simply re-crediting your accounts. According to the Sun article previously referred to, this is how these procedures should work were Santander and Nationwide to be bothered to get their respective fingers out and do things properly:-

When making a bank transfer, after you've entered in the name, sort code and account number one of three things may happen.

If you've used the right account holder name, you will be sent confirmation that the details match and your payment will be made.

If the name you typed in is similar to the account holder's name then you will be told that it's close and asked to double check with the person you're trying to transfer money to.

If the account holder's name and the one you typed in don't match, you will be issued a warning.

The rules don't mean that the bank has to block your payment - you can push ahead with the transfer anyway if you want to.

But it may mean that it will be harder to get your money back as the bank could argue that it warned you of the potential scam. 

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

Actually I think upon reflection that TransferWise should be OK, and apologies for spreading any unnecessary alarm.

As I now understand the position, the Bangkok Bank problem arises from a requirement which Nationwide (along with a number of other banks, including Santander) introduced on 1st July for the name of the Bangkok Bank UK account holder into which transfers from UK accounts are initially credited for onward processing to be specified for payee confirmation purposes in addition to the relevant the 6-digit sort code and 8-digit account number. And it is the name in which this account is held that appears to be the big mystery as far as Bangkok Bank is concerned. In this connection, transfers via the London branch are in originating UK bank statements labelled with the first and last names of the beneficiary Thai bank account holder, which is completely irrelevant for payee confirmation at the UK end.

On the other hand, TransferWise transfers are labelled as "TransferWise" in originating UK bank statements - which presumably equates to the account holder name for payee confirmation purposes.

@vinny41 - does all this sound OK to you, please?

I think in the case of the Nationwide transfer the Confirmation of Payee is a red herring as Confirmation of Payee checks domestic payments only, so it will not be applied to inbound or outbound international transfers.

How Confirmation of Payee works for new transfers you can no longer setup a transfer payment in a single transaction if it is a transfer to a new payee your are required to enter the details first

example account name d.duck wouldn't be accepted where Donald Duck would, followed by account number and sort code

your bank will send you either email , letter or sms confirming that the details provided are correct and at that point you can then proceed to make the payment

Yes, match

If the customer used the correct name of the account holder, they would receive confirmation from their provider that the details match. The customer can then proceed with the payment.

This website provides all the nitty gritty details more than the sun article

I have just logged into my Nationwide account using my card reader. Checked all the the payee statuses and the only one I had to confirm again using the card reader was the Bangkok bank London branch. So hopefully it will go through now. Will update later. 

3 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I have just logged into my Nationwide account using my card reader. Checked all the the payee statuses and the only one I had to confirm again using the card reader was the Bangkok bank London branch. So hopefully it will go through now. Will update later. 

No joy came back into my account a few hrs later.

Hello I tried one more time to send funds via Bangkok Bank London with out success , i have sent a secure message

via my on line banking to ask why and what do i need to do to comply with new rules and regulations .

I have had success via Santander money transfer to Thailand , all though i think this will end up more expensive in the

long run . I will let you know the out come when i get a reply .

19 hours ago, stouricks said:

Use Transferwise instead.

+1.

If you send the money via Transferwise to your Bangkok bank account here in Thailand, there is even an option to get it shown as a Foreign Remittance for immigration purposes if needed. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Thank you yes i will use transferwise in the future , i do feel annoyed after years of bank transfer via Bangkok bank

i hit a brick wall .i will try and not loose any sleep over it .

I am in total shock !!!!! i have been not keeping up with the latest technology , Transfer wise i set up an account

in minutes , i tried a small amount £500 to send to Thailand , i went to my online banking logged in details and

with in seconds my phoned sent a message money was in my Bangkok bank account .

Many thanks to the person that recommended Transfer wise .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, harry94 said:

I am in total shock !!!!! i have been not keeping up with the latest technology , Transfer wise i set up an account

in minutes , i tried a small amount £500 to send to Thailand , i went to my online banking logged in details and

with in seconds my phoned sent a message money was in my Bangkok bank account .

Many thanks to the person that recommended Transfer wise .

I just had a response from nationwide. It seems like you need to send £10,000 pounds or more to use CHAPS going by this! So does this mean that the London Bangkok Bank branch is useless now for the £20 service? I think I will go transferwise now also ????851AEA65-6D80-497D-8B5C-5D7DD405A799.thumb.png.a39bcfe4e6bf244b0e85ee242c657523.png