Witnesses, one year marriage extension

Hello Forum.  Tomorrow is the day I apply for the one year extension based on marriage.  I would like to thank everyone for their useful advice.

For the witnesses, I believe you need to have their Thai ID and copy of Tabien Baan.  Do you present this information when the police come for the inspection or with the initial application?  I am applying at Korat Immigration.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Normally the witnesses with their house book and  ID card is only needed when when they do a home visit.

KK Imm insisted on having the 2 witnesses at the Imm office when I applied for my extension.

There was no home visit. Just the required photos.

I did my marriage extension in Pattaya a month ago. The witness was called in person at the time of the home visit. His ID and house blue book were asked for. The witness could be any Thai national it seems.

• Like 1

Had the home visit from Jomtien IO last week, 2 days after I applied. They called at 11 am to state that they would be at my condo at 1 pm. And of course they didn't show until 1:45 pm--but I guess I'm lucky I didn't have to wait longer. I had the building manager as my witness. The IO wanted their Thai ID and house book. Then they took photos with a phone of all three of us (myself, wife, witness) in front of the condo building, in front of the office which had the address affixed to the top of the entry door, and in front of our mailbox which was in a group of mailboxes. I started to take the lift to our unit, but noticed that the IO was walking out of the parking area. The manager said that the IO stated we were done. Which was fine by me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

KK Imm insisted on having the 2 witnesses at the Imm office when I applied for my extension.

Khon Kaen Immigration came to my house where we had our neighbours as witnesses, we live 73km from KK city.

1 hour ago, Vietem said:

I did my marriage extension in Pattaya a month ago. The witness was called in person at the time of the home visit. His ID and house blue book were asked for. The witness could be any Thai national it seems.

Hoe long after marriage extension did they visit you ?

do you live far from immigration office ?

thank you.

19 hours ago, cmarshall said:

As far as I can tell, home visits are not routine.  I maintained a non-imm O for marriage for about 8 years without a home visit.  Only when I applied to switch to a retirement visa did they decide to make a visit.

Home visits are more routine than an exception when applying for an extension based on marriage. Home visits when applying for an extension based on retirement are very rare. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

thank you.

If he did his extension at Jomtien Immigration, he can't stay far away. 

Been applying at Khon Kaen Immigration for years and have never had to provide a witness and they have never visited my house.

They did once a few years ago require us to provide copies of ID cards and Tabbien Baans of two Thai friends.

Edited by Malawi

It seems marriage extensions are getting easier, about 25 minutes to complete everything. The last one was my second marriage Visa and there was no house visit or anything like that. And the best part was that I didn't have to go a second time to pick up the finished Visa. My friend picked it up with no problem in two or three minute. The best part is that you don't have to keep any money in the bank after it is issued. This is why I changed from a marriage extension to a retirement one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Normally the witnesses with their house book and  ID card is only needed when when they do a home visit.

In region 4 you are required to bring your witness/witnesses with you when your apply, you may need 1 or 2 when you apply.

You will also need a witness when they do the home visit.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

I converted from a Retirement to Marriage extension last year at Korat Imm.  I needed 2 witnesses who lived "near me" to attend the application process. They needed ID and House Books.  The IO took copies of all and pictures of them with me and the wife.  I never received a home visit.  I renewed 3 months ago, did not need witnesses and again never received a home visit.

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

In region 4 you are required to bring your witness/witnesses with you when your apply, you may need 1 or 2 when you apply.

You will also need a witness when they do the home visit.

Not all office here in Issan under Division 4 require the witnesses unless they want them instead of doing a home visit.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I also had to take my two witneses to KK Immigration office, just last week. We had already presented their papers, but got a phone call a few days later telling us to take them to the office.

• Thanks 1

I have never had to have a witness for renewal when the children or my Thai family is concerned. I find this to be over the top of them having the audacity to request a witness. For me I do not talk to any of my Thai neighbors or are friends with them so this would never be an option. We stay alone and have very very few friends other than family.

6 hours ago, scoupeo said:

thank you.

A few days after I had been to the Jomtien office. I live by Mabprachan, so about a 30 minute drive. As described above, photos of witness, IO, myself and wife. In front of house and by gate. Witness had to answer questions, not sure what about as the tone throughout was a little frosty. All done at a table in the garden, functional but no courtesies. Had similar a year ago in Chiang Mai but inside the house and conducted politely. 

• Like 1

Hi i been getting my extentionfor marriage for 3 years. Its best your witness goes with you. Sometimes they asked questionsat immigration. They are also need to be at your home when the immigration police call to your home. I took my witness this year but was not needed but its best to be on safeside and take them with you

Edited by Philipg114763
  • Like 1

When I did my first marriage extension at the old Khon Kaen office the witnesses had to go with us and both my wife and the 2 witnesses were interviewed by the investigations branch plus one of the investigation officers did a house visa the next day. For the remaining applications it has only been supply the paperwork and photos and that is it. It was only the first application that was a pain in the but.

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I have never had to have a witness for renewal when the children or my Thai family is concerned. I find this to be over the top of them having the audacity to request a witness. For me I do not talk to any of my Thai neighbors or are friends with them so this would never be an option. We stay alone and have very very few friends other than family.

I guess, once again, that this stupid requirement have got tails in 1970's.

Witnesses, TM30 BS, 90 days reports etc.

This is a complete nonsense, for couple of years TM30 was not requested. Once, we went to CW to do standard one year extension. All the documents were the same but, noooo, this time IO started to bother about TM30. Damn (I apologise for my language), my wife is the owner of the house, we have got two kids, everything was fine before and suddenly they decided to bring that Frankenstein back to life. I am not renting anything, I am living with my family, <deleted> my wife should report me as "foreigner staying in my house". They have got all the copies of blue book, yellow book, pink ID card etc. Nope, that's not enough, you have to pay the fine.

When we still haven't got children and lived and worked in Beijing, China many years ago, Chinese didn't have that BS. For example, you have got a visa, valid for one year, you go to the nearest Police Station, bring copies of everything + rent agreement. And here you go, they issue you a paper that "you're OK" for the duration of your visa. If you leave the country you pass that paper to the officer, when you return - just make a new "registration" document in five minutes.

Then we moved to the UK. I have got a job there, none of us were British... First my wife got a visa, then, BY POST, we sent all the documents to Home Office, a little bit of waiting and... she was granted with 5 year residence permit. She could work, start her own business etc. No restrictions.

When my contract finished, we moved to Italy, already having a new born son. Same thing. Do whatever you want if you really want it.

And then we moved back to Bangkok. It's a nightmare. Prove this, prove that, you are not allowed to do this and that, bla-bla-bla. And at the same time Thais is EU/Shengen Area are not forced out.

This is not normal. Completely not normal...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chaaang said:

I guess, once again, that this stupid requirement have got tails in 1970's.

Witnesses, TM30 BS, 90 days reports etc.

This is a complete nonsense, for couple of years TM30 was not requested. Once, we went to CW to do standard one year extension. All the documents were the same but, noooo, this time IO started to bother about TM30. Damn (I apologise for my language), my wife is the owner of the house, we have got two kids, everything was fine before and suddenly they decided to bring that Frankenstein back to life. I am not renting anything, I am living with my family, <deleted> my wife should report me as "foreigner staying in my house". They have got all the copies of blue book, yellow book, pink ID card etc. Nope, that's not enough, you have to pay the fine.

When we still haven't got children and lived and worked in Beijing, China many years ago, Chinese didn't have that BS. For example, you have got a visa, valid for one year, you go to the nearest Police Station, bring copies of everything + rent agreement. And here you go, they issue you a paper that "you're OK" for the duration of your visa. If you leave the country you pass that paper to the officer, when you return - just make a new "registration" document in five minutes.

Then we moved to the UK. I have got a job there, none of us were British... First my wife got a visa, then, BY POST, we sent all the documents to Home Office, a little bit of waiting and... she was granted with 5 year residence permit. She could work, start her own business etc. No restrictions.

When my contract finished, we moved to Italy, already having a new born son. Same thing. Do whatever you want if you really want it.

And then we moved back to Bangkok. It's a nightmare. Prove this, prove that, you are not allowed to do this and that, bla-bla-bla. And at the same time Thais is EU/Shengen Area are not forced out.

This is not normal. Completely not normal...

I think everyone understands and is fed up with the BS they make us do to stay here. But the really sad thing is we have no choice but to put up with their xenophobic draconian rules. I can say that if they get into the US then they have it easy as well, but it is getting past the first step to get into the US which is the trick.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

When I went to renew my marriage extension we were told that we would need witnesses again, something that had been introduced for couples without children due to the rise in fake marriages.

I changed to retirement but that option disappeared with the embassy letter, will have to look to another marriage extension.

On 7/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, cmarshall said:

As far as I can tell, home visits are not routine.  I maintained a non-imm O for marriage for about 8 years without a home visit.  Only when I applied to switch to a retirement visa did they decide to make a visit.

In Trat they started routine home visits 3 yrs ago, there was none before, and your witness has to be present on application and at the home visit, picked up my new extension 2 days ago and it only runs for 51 weeks ????, applied 3 weeks before it was due.  

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

When I went to renew my marriage extension we were told that we would need witnesses again, something that had been introduced for couples without children due to the rise in fake marriages.

I changed to retirement but that option disappeared with the embassy letter, will have to look to another marriage extension.

And you are female? Wow! Now this I would have thought never would happen as with couples of the foreign woman marrying a Thai man has usually been essentially pretty easy. I don't do marriage renewal but could if I wanted, but one thing you mention is that people with children to a Thai do not need to have witnesses? I have 3.