Five gynaecologists among those detained over wombs-on-hire case

webfact

Five gynaecologists among those detained over wombs-on-hire case

By The Nation

800_28311cb5aa13996.jpg?v=1594800146

The Anti-Trafficking in Persons Division (ATPD) on Wednesday (July 15) morning summoned 10 people suspected of being part of an illegal surrogacy gang.

Five of the suspects are gynaecologists (three from private hospitals and two from a public hospital near Victory Monument), one is a lab technician whose duty was to mix the eggs and sperm of good-looking models, and four are female agents who found women willing to hire out their wombs.

In a raid on February 13, police managed to arrest 21 suspects, while two escaped to China.

On Wednesday, the 10 suspects were taken to the Office of the Attorney General and charged with conspiring to commit a crime and violating the Protection for Children Born Through Assisted Reproductive Technologies Act.

The Medical Council of Thailand is also collaborating with ATPD to look into disciplinary action on breach of duty by the five doctors.

Police are reportedly also going to charge surrogate mothers, and interrogate the arrested suspects to uncover other surrogacy cases.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391356

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-15

16 hours ago, webfact said:

In a raid on February 13, police managed to arrest 21 suspects, while two escaped to China.

I do believe most people are aware that this kind of thing happens a lot in China yet another reason to stay clear ........!!!

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Police are reportedly also going to charge surrogate mothers, and interrogate the arrested suspects to uncover other surrogacy cases.

If the surrogate mothers are considered criminals, which persons have been trafficked such that the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Division is involved?

If the surrogate mothers were informed and freely made the decision to carry another's child to hand over at birth for adoption - which I assume is what's going on here - I don't see a problem. I am also assuming that if this is the case, money exchanged hands. And I still don't see a problem.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cereal said:

If the surrogate mothers were informed and freely made the decision to carry another's child to hand over at birth for adoption - which I assume is what's going on here - I don't see a problem. I am also assuming that if this is the case, money exchanged hands. And I still don't see a problem.

Fair enough, but it's currently illegal in Thailand, and I'm sure those involved were well aware of that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Fair enough, but it's currently illegal in Thailand, and I'm sure those involved were well aware of that.

Groovy, I did not know this. Well then it is a legal issue, not a moral or ethical issue. 

• Like 1