Good translator that can do MFA legalization?

Anyone have used a good translator that can translate a USA marriage certificate and US embassy letter to Thai and legalize it at the Thai Ministry of Affairs? (so that i can get a Kor Ror 22 and apply for marriage visa extension)

Or pointers where to find one?

Thanks!

There's a number of translation agents that hang out at the MOFA offices in Bangkok although they are not the cheapest people to use, as soon as you try and enter the building they will approach you and ask. Ditto with many of the embassies, they hang around outside asking people if they need a translation service.

We helped some people in the North get documents translated for the same purpose as you, it cost 500 baht per page as I recall. Be aware that who ever you use, MOFA will require changes to the translation because only they know the exact way in which documents should be translated and EVERYONE has to have changes made! Make sure whoever you use that they will make whatever changes are required, in the initial price.

MOFA has offices in the suburbs and in many towns outside Bangkok, usually in the large Amphurs, that may help you rather than using the main office in Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

Trillian, thank you so much for the changes tip and the expected price of 500b/page.

Mavideol, I will be at US Embassy this coming Tuesday and will ask then. Thanks.

• Like 1

phungo .... FYI.... You can only get a translation of your marriage certificate etc certified by that Legalisation Division of the Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs which is located at 123 Chaeng Watthana Road, Bangkok 10210.  The Legalisation Division does not have any offices located in the 'sticks' of in local Amphur offices as another member has indicated - maybe confused with Thai ID and passports issuing.

MFA-Front-Entrance.jpg.93e343e10dcfe8a75e9407e94c407094.jpg

As another member has indicated, there are freelance translators who will approach you as you enter the building.  However, if you go up the escalator to the 2nd floor, immediately in front of you there is a small translation shop. 

MFA-Translation-Shop.jpg.173c2b4b90296f462743d06244eb44f1.jpg

The bonus of using this shop is that they already have 'translation templates' for most, if not all circumstances, and more importantly, the people who check the translation are employees of the Legalisation Division who do the translation checking  during their 'free time'.  As a result, the translation is very unlikely to have any errors and be rejected.  Their charges are compatible with what you will pay at most translator shops in BKK, about 400/500 BHT per page of A4 (depending upon complexity), and they will for an extra charge get the document(s) certified and posted back to you by EMS, or you can collect them if you prefer.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

The Legalisation Division does not have any offices located in the 'sticks' of in local Amphur offices as another member has indicated - maybe confused with Thai ID and passports issuing.

There are are 3 regional legalization offices. 

Look here on the DCA website: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/111075-สถานที่ให้บริการรับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร.html

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

phungo .... FYI.... You can only get a translation of your marriage certificate etc certified by that Legalisation Division of the Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs which is located at 123 Chaeng Watthana Road, Bangkok 10210.  The Legalisation Division does not have any offices located in the 'sticks' of in local Amphur offices as another member has indicated - maybe confused with Thai ID and passports issuing.

As another member has indicated, there are freelance translators who will approach you as you enter the building.  However, if you go up the escalator to the 2nd floor, immediately in front of you there is a small translation shop. 

The bonus of using this shop is that they already have 'translation templates' for most, if not all circumstances, and more importantly, the people who check the translation are employees of the Legalisation Division who do the translation checking  during their 'free time'.  As a result, the translation is very unlikely to have any errors and be rejected.  Their charges are compatible with what you will pay at most translator shops in BKK, about 400/500 BHT per page of A4 (depending upon complexity), and they will for an extra charge get the document(s) certified and posted back to you by EMS, or you can collect them if you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Wow thank you so much!! We will likely go with this option. 

41 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Hope this helps.

The Legalization Division has an office in the Mae Rim Amphur building, ground floor, I've used it three times in the past six months, for legalization of foreign documents that have been translated. Mae Rim is just North of Chiang Mai.

Edited by Trillian

16 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Joe... Normally you are spot-on.... but on this occasion the regional MFA offices that are shown in the link, namely Chiang Mai; Ratchathani and Songkhla only deal with issuing passports and do not have facilities for legalisation of translations.  Not that this will affect the Op as he is in BKK.

Yes do them. Mostly the basic ones such as certifying documents, signature and etc. If they are unable to do them locally they will collect the fee, send the documents to Bangkok and receive them when completed.

They can even send passport to Bangkok that need to have visa errors corrected.

The one Chiang Mai can do some translation certifications. 

Edit: It is just coincidental and irrelevant that they located at one of many passport offices in the country.

A list of passport offices is here. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/111267-สถานที่ให้บริการหนังสือเดินทาง.html

Sorry to go against the flow on this but the ChiangMai MOFA office (it's actually in Mae Rim) is not allowed to do translations or make recommendations for them, we did ask them.

That office does a same day service which is in at 9:30 am, out by 4pm, the cost is double the normal certification fee, 800 baht vs 400 baht.

Edited by Trillian

8 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Sorry to go against the flow on this but the ChiangMai MOFA office (it's actually in Mae Rim) is not allowed to do translations or make recommendations for them, we did ask them.

No office can do the translations. They just certify them.

I am just posting the links for where the offices are located, Not my fault if the info is out of date,

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Trillian said:

That office does a same day service which is in at 9:30 am, out by 4pm, the cost is double the normal certification fee, 800 baht vs 400 baht.

Wow... CM office is expensive.... 400THB/page for normal service (next day) and 800THB/page for express service (same day)... Is this 'double pricing' for farang?

FYI..... Chaeng Watthana (BKK) charge 200THB/page for normal service (next day) and 400THB/page for express service (same day).  If you want them to return your documents by EMS they charge 60THB extra.

• Thanks 1

In the last 3 years I have personally used Express Translation Service & Travel Co., Ltd. (just near steps of Ploenchit BTS) Mahatun Plaza, 888 Ploenchit Rd, Ground Floor Tel: 02-254-7169

on 3 separate occassions successfully for:

1) translate a lenthy Thai land valuation report (used for evidence in divorce settlement) 

2) translate and send my British passport to MoFA for certification (in order to get yellow house book and pink ID card)

3) translate documents for getting my GF a UK visa (successful).

They know all the procedures required for the various tasks and charged a reasonable fee for their services. The even scanned and emailed the stuff too before went to pay the balance and collect originals. The tomboy there is called "Brave" and was very helpful and professional. They are on the embassy approved list that UbonJoe linked.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

In the last 3 years I have personally used Express Translation Service & Travel Co., Ltd. (just near steps of Ploenchit BTS) Mahatun Plaza, 888 Ploenchit Rd, Ground Floor Tel: 02-254-7169

1) translate a lenthy Thai land valuation report (used for evidence in divorce settlement) 

2) translate and send my British passport to MoFA for certification (in order to get yellow house book and pink ID card)

They know all the procedures required for the various tasks and charged a reasonable fee for their services. The even scanned and emailed the stuff too before went to pay the balance and collect originals. The tomboy there is called "Brave" and was very helpful and professional. They are on the embassy approved list that UbonJoe linked.

Mahatun Plaza has many translation offices that will provide complete service and ems results to you.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 9:30 PM, soi3eddie said:

I ending up going here since it's close to US Embassy and BTS. Just got out from there, they charged me:

800b for translation of marriage cert.

1900b for translation of Affidavit and its Legalization.

They say it takes about 4 business days and I should get docs by July 30.

They also tried to up-sale some service to do kor ror22bfor 10k baht inclusive, which I declined.

They seem diligent and competent.

• Thanks 1