Thai PM says news of Egyptian delegation incident was like being hit by a plane

snoop1130

Just now, Sharp said:

Night time venues getting a mention is a worrisome comment even after all the safety protocols being advertised 

hey he must believe they also visited a few ladies of the night and had a nightcap..

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

In reports on that other national English national newspaper that we must not quote, there seems to have been a sense coming out of government that the Egyptian embassy and officials were mostly to blame. If so the government should launch some kind of diplomatic reaction and let's see what the Egyptians' side of the story is.

No diplomatic reaction - OK then Thai officials must take the heat of Thai people's horror at this screw-up. Gonna get nasty if Rayong ultimately needs to lockdown again.

I think there is a term for the circumstances here that resulted in less stringent rules applying to visiting foreign government delegations. The government may have 'done a Cummings'!*

* Reference to the UK government adviser who, having helped the UK government to hoist rules upon the hoi polloi chose to select a more convenient version of policy for his own interests.

Ignore the first two paras of my post above - from reading a few ThaiV posts it seems clear that the report in that other national newspaper that The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) was deflecting blame towards the Egyptian Embassy on Tuesday has not carried forward to today's 'The Nation' reports (and elsewhere) whereby Prayut seems to be openly accepting the blame on the Thai government. Bully for him - even if it possibly results from some strong diplomatic interventions by the Egytptians overnight!

• Like 1

Agree Eric TH - particularly when it is clear that quite a few Thais returning form Egypt over recent weeks have subsequently tested positive. This was a delegation from a Covid ticking time bomb country. CCSA should have spoken up about the risks of government policy toward visiting delegations in the specific circumstances of an Egyptian visit. Maybe they did!

[Edit coterminous posting with dabhand's so some overlap]

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dabhand said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/15/egyptian-doctors-detained-for-highlighting-covid-19-working-conditions

Egypt is suffering from both a covid epidemic and a desire to avoid admitting to the reality of the situation, by any means. Their security apparatus is well versed in ensuring compliance as evidenced by the murder of the Italian student and subsequent denials by the state actors.

So, no real surprise at this incident and also, I believe, a number of covid cases of returning Thais from Egypt.

On a personal note, I was based in Cairo for over a decade up to 2014 and am well aware of their poor medical facilities. Indeed, around 2012 I was due to fly back to Cairo after a break in Thailand and came down with dengue fever (hemorrhagic) a couple of days before hand. Eventually, when I did return to Cairo. I asked our company doctor how I would have coped if the fever had started after returning to Cairo. His response was clear - first plane out to the UK, no question.

Sigh. 

I still remember the good old days when they were letting in thousands of Chinese tourists at the height of the pandemic, and all you needed was a certificate to say you were healthy (96 hours beforehand). 

Miss those days. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mavideol said:

the Egyptian military didn't transgress the protocols, your people did by allowing them to go through. Virus doesn't know borders, doesn't differentiate rich or poor, black or white, the safety protocols should be enforced regardless who is coming, diplomatic or not, military or civil all should be checked the same way

Exactly The Thais screwed up big time 

• Like 2

How were they not contained on U-tphao Navy Base as a military mission? Diplomatic clearances list all passengers/status are scrutinized and approved or disapproved in advance .  A few local news reports said all were reported as flight crew which have different rules.  30+ folks as flight crew?  Red flags should have went up if so. Some shiite in the wind here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saraburi121 said:

How were they not contained on U-tphao Navy Base as a military mission? Diplomatic clearances list all passengers/status are scrutinized and approved or disapproved in advance .  A few local news reports said all were reported as flight crew which have different rules.  30+ folks as flight crew?  Red flags should have went up if so. Some shiite in the wind here. 

If you watch what is going on - more and more people don't care anymore.

13 hours ago, Sharp said:

Night time venues getting a mention is a worrisome comment even after all the safety protocols being advertised 

Worrisome because they say no new infections since xxx days.This means they know their numbers are Bs