MARRY before amnesty ends

I am planning to marry within 2 weeks with my thai girlfriend
Because of the Covid situation i hope to have a advantage for getting back into Thailand with my marry documents.
Also i try to get a 60 day extension based on married (before the amnesty expires)
At this moment i am on a tourist exemption and using the amnesty till end of july.
Do you think i have an advantage to get married (before the amnesty end) and can get a permission for entry later?
Do you think i can get a 60 day extension based on married on the last day?

I entered Thailand and got a 30 day tourist visa on arrival

Background: I am married to a thai and have kids that live in Thailand

Visited immigration today and was told I could convert to a marriage visa for 15k baht 'maybe more' - that was all the info they would give me - it was approaching lunch time (rolls eyes) - so I left to think about it and thought I'd check in here to see what others are saying

• Sad 1

It's an interesting prospect. 

Now that the approval process is no longer the MFA in Thailand a ‘Western’ Marriage certificate may not need a Thai Translation. i.e. Having a Marriage Certificate issued by the UK may meet the requirements.

Is your Girlfriend currently with you? you’d obviously both need to be together to sign any wedding documents in front of a witness etc.

There are also other complexities such as having to give no less than 28 days notice at your local registry office. 

There may also be complications and such as your girlfriend may need to be in the UK on a Fiancée visa etc

Lots to check into.... 

17 minutes ago, Sarahandra said:

Visited immigration today and was told I could convert to a marriage visa for 15k baht 'maybe more' - that was all the info they would give me - it was approaching lunch time (rolls eyes) - so I left to think about it and thought I'd check in here to see what others are saying

If willing to pay to expedite the process, 15K for marriage visa is reasonable considering the need to share much of the money with regional headquarters, Depending on the immigration office (and, the region it is located in) you might be able to do it just for the official 2,000 baht price. However, your experiences of the morning suggest that is not available. You need to act quickly. The marriage visa conversion needs a minimum of 15 days left on your permission to stay.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Sarahandra said:

I replied to another post you did about it here.

I am in Thailand now and i stay with my girlfriend for already 6 month up 
So yes ...i know the procedures for getting married and what documents are required.
My question was
Do i have an advantage for returning back  into Thailand ( because i am married/on the last day of the amnesty extension)

Can i get an extension based on marrage (again the last day of the amnesty expires) of 60 /30 days?

7 minutes ago, MICHAELDUTCH said:

Can i get an extension based on marrage (again the last day of the amnesty expires) of 60 /30 days?

If you complete the marriage in time (which should happen as either amnesty will be extended or something like a one month extension will be available) you could after that apply for 60 day extension to visit wife. 

23 minutes ago, MICHAELDUTCH said:

I am in Thailand now and i stay with my girlfriend for already 6 month up 
So yes ...i know the procedures for getting married and what documents are required.
My question was
Do i have an advantage for returning back  into Thailand ( because i am married/on the last day of the amnesty extension)

The risks of leaving Thailand are at the moment while Thailand is under Emergency Decree, you would have to apply for a Certificate of Entry (in the country to travel to) - this may or may not be issued and you could find yourself stuck outside of Thailand in a long queue of people waiting to get back in.

Theoretically (if you have all the paperwork inplace) you can just go to an Amphur and marry straight away, any time. 

Once you are married I believe you can apply for a Non-Immigrant Type O visa based on Marriage (provided you meet those requirements, money (THB 400,000 ??) seasoned in an account for 3 (?) Months. 

I think there is a lot of paperwork for this visa but is definitely doable. 

I don’t think you need to leave the country for this visa - you can just go to ChaengWattana Immigration Division 1 and apply. 

NOTE: don’t leave application until the last day because if you are missing just one document (and everyone seems to miss one document or is unaware of one new piece of paper thats required) you would then find your self on overstay and having to be nice to an immigration officer who could arrest you for overstay !!!!! 

Getting ahead of that game is your best option - leave yourself some breathing space. 

Finally: Although the current ‘visa’ amnesty expires soon - a fair guess would be that this is extended (although don’t rely on that). 

Edited by richard_smith237

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The risks of leaving Thailand are at the moment while Thailand is under Emergency Decree, you would have to apply for a Certificate of Entry (in the country to travel to) - this may or may not be issued and you could find yourself stuck outside of Thailand in a long queue of people waiting to get back in.

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I am fully aware of all the requirements for coming back to Thailand (having a spouse/married)
 I must go back to my country in the coming months.
 I pressume that if i am NOT married........my chances for coming back are very slim
 If i marry BEFORE i go back to my country.......my chances are better (although many requirements
but not impossible)

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

400k Seasoned 2 months or 2 month 40k transfers into Thai bank. Both cases need to show funds from abroad.

Both?

I thought you have to verify the fund's foreign origin only for the 40K transfers.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

400k Seasoned 2 months or 2 month 40k transfers into Thai bank. Both cases need to show funds from abroad.

No proof the 400k baht came from abroad is required.

Not required for retirement either unless applying for a non immigrant visa entry.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sarahandra said:

A scam

2,000 Baht for the conversion to Non Imm Visa.

1,900 Baht for the 12 month extension.

Edited by Malawi

1 hour ago, unheard said:

Both?

I thought you have to verify the fund's foreign origin only for the 40K transfers.

You are correct. Also ubon pulled me up.

I was incorrectly referring to extensions based on retirement. Where money needs to be shown came from o/s. 

I run daily my stuff up sheet. Think today was less than 2 which is personal best Down from many.

My curve has been  getting better. Cheers

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now that the approval process is no longer the MFA in Thailand a ‘Western’ Marriage certificate may not need a Thai Translation. i.e. Having a Marriage Certificate issued by the UK may meet the requirements.

But Immigration still requires a foreign marriage certificate to be validated, which, in the UK's case, entails a cumbersomely bureaucratic legalisation process:-

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714089/Legalisation_info_June_2018.pdf

Edited by OJAS