Swimming Pool Pump/Filter run times

Gabe H Coud

What is the minimum TOTAL daily pump/filter run times (nb based on a cycle in the morning and another in the evening) that you can get away with for a saltwater pool of 8m x 4m?

Some say 3 +3 hours, some say 1 +1 hours, opinions vary. I would add that 3+3 does make the pool very clear but that doesnt answer my question. Maybe half that time would make it just as clear??

There is a cost element but I'm very curious as to what the sweetspot is.

The motivation behind the question is not about money(electrical consumption) it's about knowing the 'right' answer, thanks

For that you have to know the flow rate of your pump and filter, and the capacity of your chlorinator.

Your pool volume should turn over at least 1.5 times every day.

If you know the flow rate of pump and filter, you can calculate how long that takes.

Then you can calculate how long your chlorinator has to work to add enough chlorine to the water.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Depending on how much sun your pool get, I think you should add 2 ppm of chlorine every day

Edited by Susco

10 hours ago, Susco said:

For that you have to know the flow rate of your pump and filter, and the capacity of your chlorinator.

If you know the flow rate of pump and filter, you can calculate how long that takes.

Then you can calculate how long your chlorinator has to work to add enough chlorine to the water.

Depending on how much sun your pool get, I think you should add 2 ppm of chlorine every day

Good advice.

Ball park (if pump & filter correct size) 4 hours in the morning & 3 to 4 hours late afternoon.

Letting the pump run into the dark. This leave chlorine in the pool over night.

UV sunlight depletes chlorine.

11 hours ago, Susco said:

Do these pics tell the specs of the pump & filter in order to calculate? 

I'm not sure about the chlorinator. 

IMG_20200716_094738.jpg

IMG_20200716_094721.jpg

IMG_20200716_094639.jpg

That is an old pump. Lucky it is still working. Poolrite went bust years ago. Used by it's owner (Fat ex politician from Qld Aust) as a tax dodge. Shady guy he was. Also duded hundreds of worker out of  job with a shut down of a metal refinery business which was also a crooked deal.

By the looks 1.5 hp & 600 mm filter. 4 hrs in morning & 3 - 4 hrs late arvo is correct turnover.

How old is the media in the filter? Over 1 yr and sand it will be breaking down.

I recomend replacing with "Eco Clear" recycled plate glass. Last 15 yrs & far superior water quality.

See attached. 

Eco Clear.pdf

Edited by Bagwain
  • Like 1