BANGKOK
Skytrain2hell

Is Thailand Safe for Kids?

Posted (edited)

Appreciate the question. But also funny. First of all no country can be stamped as "save" for a little boy. In Thailand you will 99.99% never experience shooting amok like in US. 

The worry you have doesn't match Thailand. It is too far away. It should be asked in a war countries like iraq, border between israel and palastine, sudan, kenya, etc. 

Edited by Otto2020

Is Thailand safe for kids?

No

not more or less than another random country

less risks of attack, kidnapping or shooting by firearms than in few others countries

but more risk with the pollution and the road carnage.

Also some nasty things like dengue with mosquitoes

the rabies virus from a dog bite and so on

i don't even mention the food poisoning, the dirty water and the sun burst

There is an urban legend stating that Thailand is a sort of paradise

for the child and all the thais are immediately in love with your child

it's just a legend and because of that almost the flights from foreign countries

to Thailand (And return) were polluted by some irresponsibles tourists

parents with their howler newborns.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2020 at 1:02 AM, englishoak said:

Children below teens are not usually seen out playing together or out in shopping centers nor public transport etc without an older sibling or adult and theres a healthy concern about having kids stolen or taken away by strangers.

My kid's been out playing in the road since he was 3 years old.

Along with everyone else's kids.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My kid's been out playing in the road since he was 3 years old.

Along with everyone else's kids.

fair do's, I know in villages its different, nothing like that in Bangkok where i was though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Having lived in the US, my estimate is that 99% of Americans never experience shooting amok either.

That's true, maybe w/some % adjustment for a few bad neighborhoods like in Chicago etc... but I think the larger effect might be the fear that permeates in USA and the kids and their parents live in that horrible bubble of fear... warranted by stats or not.. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 1:02 AM, englishoak said:

Depends what the context safe for kids means. I would take my lead from the local Thais

There are bars on the windows of nearly every Thai house on the ground floor, Thais are not trusting of strangers no matter the nationality, especially with their kids and extra so in the citiy of Bangkok . I dont know one Thai that would consider Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand safe for small kids to be without the parents or guardian looking out for them. Children below teens are not usually seen out playing together or out in shopping centers nor public transport etc without an older sibling or adult and theres a healthy concern about having kids stolen or taken away by strangers... a very real problem back in the 80s/90s  in Thailand apparently, something the society hasnt forgotten 

Your child your responsibility but I would not dismiss Thailand as safe in all context re kids at all. 

Same all over the world, unfortunately

12 minutes ago, bbz404 said:

i have just relocated to Europe with my family precisely for the possibilities in proper child development and safety here compared to Bangkok/Thailand. In the last two months, my 3 year old has found confidence, self-esteem and friends merely by being outside everyday and being left to make her own discoveries without the constant presence of a parent.

I would not allow my 3 year old kid outside alone in Europe. My parents let me do that 40 years ago. But nowadays I wouldn't let my kids do that. Too much weird and crazy  people walking around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dimitriv said:

I would not allow my 3 year old kid outside alone in Europe. My parents let me do that 40 years ago. But nowadays I wouldn't let my kids do that. Too much weird and crazy  people walking around.

It really depends where you are but agreed there are some weird people. Don’t get me wrong, I or my wife will go outside with her but we’ll not feel obligated to watch her every move as we would in Thailand for fear of being hit by oncoming traffic. 

• Like 2