Is Thailand Safe for Kids?

Skytrain2hell

The answer very much depends on where in Thailand you are and what you are doing.

In General, yes, Thailand is safe for kids, but, it's unlikely to be as safe as your home nation. 

Just some examples of where Thailand is less safe: 

- In traffic (in a car with a car seat) there is still greater risk of an accident in Thailand (according the traffic stats)

- In a Pushchair - uneven sometimes unnavigable pavements, motorcycles coming past (at times!)

- As a Pedestrian - Crossing the road with a child is potentially one of the riskiest things you can do in Thailand.

- On the pavement - Motorcycles, bare wires, boiling hot oil from street vendors, soi dogs

- In shopping centres - lower standards of finish, no accountability, sharp edges, questionable electrics

- In Markets - bare cables, dodgy extension cables (sometimes sitting in water !), boiling hot oil, sharp objects

- In the moobaan - Cars & motorcycles driving too fast (this happens in the UK too) - always supervise our son when outside or house or in the pool etc.

- Health - Dengue risk, consequences of poor food hygiene (these can be mitigated with care)

- Restaurants - this one is a biggie - Waiters and Waitresses nearly always choose to serve over the top of a child's head (easiest access for them) even when its boiling hot soup (I’m alert to this and have to stop them doing this at nearly every restaurant we go out, I either seat my son away from where I ’think’ service will come, or I warn the waiting staff).

Thailand is definitely less safe than many of our home countries and being alert to the additional risks takes greater attention. That said, when care, attention and plenty of common sense is applied Thailand is not so unsafe as to warrant not living here. 

Silly things I find myself doing: Driving 1km down the road with my Son instead of walking down the road, just because its safer for him if I drive (due to non existent, to crappy parents, or pavements which are taken up by phoneboxes, or street vendors etc).

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

This post isn't about CV

Who uses the word Yo?

looks like I do - - though rarely.. and you are more accustomed to dotard, I guess? 

bigger question - why live in Fla and troll people who choose to live in Thailand?