Repaired Tyres

I have a 3-year-old Mazda CX3. I've had 3 punctures and the last one was done in 5 minutes. They just stick some rubber into it and slice it off with a knife. I asked if this was safe and the guy said yes. I then asked if it would be safe to drive for 5000 km and he said "yes no problem". I doubt it and am thinking of buying new tyres as they are 3 years old. 

Is this kind of repair safe?

Would you recommend getting new tyres?

Cheers.

Edited by Neeranam

This is how they fix tubeless tires these days. My tire had leak on the side and they put on a hot wet patch that took a few hours.

If money isn't a big deal then sure buy some new tires. But 5000 km more should be fine. I'd say keep an eye out for slow leak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Its the normal way to repair a tread puncture 

If you damage the tyre wall then toss the tyre

Had mine fixed with a wet hot patch with leak on the side cost 300 bht. Not all tire places can do this.

Edited by EVENKEEL

58 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Would you recommend getting new tyres?

If reliability is important then get new tires.

I've had tires fixed this way on three occasions (on a motorbike though). One of them lasted for months, until the tire was worn down and i replaced it. The other two times it lasted just a few days and the tires started losing air.

• Like 1

The repair method that you described is common all over the world including the UK. 

My advice is don't worry about it, but try not to drive on unpaved roads, as you're picking up an unusual amount of punctures for some reason. 

Edited by northsouthdevide
  • Like 1

Never ever drive on a repaired tyre is my advice.  Buy new, it's the only thing connecting you to the road and it's just foolish and a false economy, to trust to a repair to keep you safe. Just watch a video of a blow out at a normal speed and you will quickly change your view on tyre management. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGZ7MMqlco8

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Never ever drive on a repaired tyre is my advice.  Buy new, it's the only thing connecting you to the road and it's just foolish and a false economy, to trust to a repair to keep you safe. Just watch a video of a blow out at a normal speed and you will quickly change your view on tyre management. 

Maybe a bit over-dramatic but thanks.

In my experience the rubber bung method mentioned above works ok.

The other ways of repairing tyres are.

1. Vulcanising. Where they heat steam a patch on the inside. Overheating during the process can distort the tyre though.

2. I carry a can of compressed foam in the car. Reinflates and seals in one. Temporary fix.

• Like 2

Mushroom plug repairs are fine, but the two golden rules are 1. Only in the central 75% of the tread area (never near or on the sidewalls) and, 2. max repair size 6mm.

You can use the foam inflators but its an absolute bloody nightmare when you take the tyre off. Gets everywhere and makes a real mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's specifications applicable to tire repairs. So, your tire guy becomes questionable.

And the question is: Would they apply the specifications with integrity?

At 3 years old, it would be better to change 2 tires. Left and Right of front or rear.

If your budget permits it, change 2 tires.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, Pilotman said:

why over dramatic? 

You say never drive on a repaired tyre. I think many would disagree with this -  it's a bit dramatic buying new tyres for every puncture you get.

On 7/16/2020 at 5:23 PM, Pilotman said:

Have plugged drag slicks and then done 200mph.

• Sad 1

The problem with plugs is that when whatever goes into the tire, often tears the cord. When the guy reams out the hole with his little rasp, tearing the cord is inevitable. This can lead to the mesh separating. At some point, the tire could blowout. 

Often, this will be preceded by the tire blistering. One can usually detect this by a faint, rhythmic, "thumping" sound. However, most are either deaf to such sounds, our have their tunes blasting, covering any road sounds. 

56 minutes ago, transam said:

Millions of punctures are repaired daily around the globe. If it were unsafe, the big boy outlets would not be involved in the practice...

very personal choice.  I would never drive on a repaired type, especially not one in Thailand and repaired by a Thai mechanic.   I value my safety and that of my family that much. 

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You say never drive on a repaired tyre. I think many would disagree with this -  it's a bit dramatic buying new tyres for every puncture you get.

if you have run flats, which I had in the UK for many years, it requires the whole tyre to be replaced as you cant repair them.  In the case of a BMW, sometimes the opposition tyre as well, so that balance is maintained. So I got used to it.  Irritating yes, but as I say, its the only thing keeping you on the road, so its worth the irritation, small cost and paranoia, if indeed it is paranoia. in 3 years, I have only had to replace one tyre due to a puncture. Not a big cost for safety and peace of mind.

Of course, I am not driving a 4x4 Big Dick Wally Wagon that I don't really need, that I think makes me look cool in Tesco car park, even if the Mrs has no chance of parking it inside 20 minutes, so I'm not paying a whole lot for my little Vios tyre.  ????

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

if you have run flats, which I had in the UK for many years, it requires the whole tyre to be replaced as you cant repair them.  In the case of a BMW, sometimes the opposition tyre as well, so that balance is maintained. So I got used to it.  Irritating yes, but as I say, its the only thing keeping you on the road, so its worth the irritation, small cost and paranoia, if indeed it is paranoia. in 3 years, I have only had to replace one tyre due to a puncture. Not a big cost for safety and peace of mind.

Of course, I am not driving a 4x4 Big Dick Wally Wagon that I don't really need, that I think makes me look cool in Tesco car park, even if the Mrs has no chance of parking it inside 20 minutes, so I'm not paying a whole lot for my little Vios tyre.  ????

Real men drive Tunas and Ford Rangers.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Real men drive Tunas and Ford Rangers.

real man ride 1,000 cc motorbikes. 

Here's a thought, would anyone sensible put a repaired tyre on a motorbike? 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

very personal choice.  I would never drive on a repaired type, especially not one in Thailand and repaired by a Thai mechanic.   I value my safety and that of my family that much. 

If you are that worried about the safety and your family, weeeeell, I reckon Thai roads are not for you.

You have more chance of being taken out by an HGV with no brakes than a puncture repair failure..... ????...................????

• Like 1

That repair is perfectly fine. 

The mechanic knows what can be repaired and what cannot. The profit of selling brand new is always higher than repair, so if they say a repair alone is fine, then it is fine.