Thailand road carnage: 7,414 dead at the scene this year - 38 yesterday, 560 so far in July

webfact

Thailand road carnage: 7,414 dead at the scene this year - 38 yesterday, 560 so far in July

1pm.jpg

Graphic: Daily News

Daily News reported that 38 people died at the scene of road accidents in Thailand yesterday.

This brought the number of victims so far this year to 7,414. 

The total for this month is 560. 

As part of their campaign to raise awareness of the carnage on Thai roads they reported on a collision between a Nissan and a Honda Wave motorcycle in Nong Pla Mor sub-district of Ratchaburi. 

Both the rider and pillion passenger were pronounced dead at the scene. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The media cautions that the figures represent only a fraction of the actual road deaths in Thailand because those that die in hospital or on the way are not included.

Senior government figures have admitted the death toll is in excess of 20,000 annually and some accident safety activists put the figure around 24,000 to 26,000.

1pm2.jpg

Eagle-eyed readers will note that the Daily News infographic contained an error stating erroneously that the latest death toll referred to today, Thursday, when it was in fact yesterday, Wednesday. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-16

• Sad 5

57 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I'm riding a motorcycle around Bkk and theses figures terrified the living daylight out of me, you can ride/drive 100% correctly and according to road rules but that doesn't shield you against other idiots and morons around you...

is there a country on earth where it does? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I have always wondered why deaths that occur later in hospitals or even on the way to hospital are not included. 

Is there some strange reason for this?

To keep the numbers down - save face - or tourists will stop coming

• Like 2

Active mobile police patrols, Radar guns. Traffic lights where needed.  Changes to U Turns.   Respect for others on the road instead of the current push your way through mentality.  Real penalties for the responsible.  A Government that truly cares to ake a difference.  Input from the insurance carriers.

They are just complete morons, nothing between the ears other than a vacuum, I was on my way to collect my daughter from school on my bike a couple of days ago, when a young moron flew passed me so close that his mirror clipped mine, just a little closer and it could have been handle bars clipping and I hate to think how that would have ended, probably with both of us biting the road ????

I was lucky to survive an accident on Sukhumvit Rd 4 years ago when an idiot with a very young girl sitting on the back of his bike, forced me into the gutter on the median strip, heaps of bark missing, 5 broken ribs and a broken shoulder blade was the result. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1