Thailand road carnage: 7,414 dead at the scene this year - 38 yesterday, 560 so far in July

webfact

I started on a motorbike in the 70s UK and I had the same attitude that I would not die just by going fast and taking chances. I was lucky i had a few scrapes at low speed so no worries. 

What changed my attitude really was the continual road safety messages that were on the TV paid for by the government.  These went on for years and when the seat belts were fitted 'Clunk clip' was the slogan that stuck in your mind.  Later the drink drive slogans that seemed to be on tv about 3 times a day brought it home to me and most other people.

Of course this was all backed up by the police by continually enforcing the laws by fines or prison.  

I don't think even these things would have changed some people into thinking about safety, but because these things combined and went on for many years, everyone was aware of the outcome of ignoring.

Now of course in UK there are cameras everywhere so if you do something wrong i.e. dangerous you are very likely have to pay for it.

So what I am hoping is someone in government looks at what other countries have done and will realise what action is needed to prevent many people from dying or being injured for life.  Some one could be famous if they took this on.

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

If the Government put 5% of the effort into road safety that they have into Covid it would save far more Thai lives.

Covid affairs is more in the lime light in the world.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snig27 said:

+100

They simply don't care. Even simple things like enforcing crosswalks would make a difference. 

On the highways of the nation, vehicles and motorbikes weave like maniacs at speeds far above the supposed limits and zip is done about it even if the police are present. No care, no enforcement all.

Meanwhile people with a few banners yesterday are a threat to the nation. 

nearly got it right.. a threat to........

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I have always wondered why deaths that occur later in hospitals or even on the way to hospital are not included. 

Is there some strange reason for this?

Yep , They Try to keep the numbers Down but they will still get the Gold Medal. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is also why Trials here do not give the family closure, only a Wai and money from the offending party can. Yes I know it is utterly ridiculous.

Not really. What does a trial benefit anyone? That's a Western concept. Far more practical for the victim or their family to receive financial compensation.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Leatherneck said:

Time to quarantine all drivers in Thailand.

They really tried when they had the lockdowns, and curfews, but you still had deaths from driving and well....

I wonder how many murders there have been since Covid and what the increased percentages are for all crimes as well as suicide....

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

If the Government put 5% of the effort into road safety that they have into Covid it would save far more Thai lives.

if they can control the Virus.  ,Why cant the control the road ,should be easier.  ? ,rest world controls the roads. ,but cant control the Virus. ,where are yo better of Europe. or Thailand ? 

Makes year i and others say it :

Just f.. learn the BASIC DRIVING RULES !!!

It's just amazing (and it looks really really bad and stupid) how they make 5 or 6 ENORMOUS MISTAKES, all the time !

- Traffic circle (round about) : they stop in the middle... Clear signs on the road although, but they can not get it !

- Wrong way is a classic-classic for motorcycles

- Engage without stoping, slow but "hey it's me i should pass", they sometimes look once engaged

- Traffic light : ho but why don't we turn IN FRONT of the opposite cars : accidents GARANTEE with motorcycle coming sideway

- On the road : a motorcycle coming opposite way : but why should i not pass, motorcycle is so small he can surely move aside for me !

- Or pass without any visibility (small hill)... I even saw a police car doing that ! Any car coming opposite and it's a crash garanteed.

- Change of file without looking...

To the dis(credit) of Thai people : problem is from the Department of transport, clearly !

- Funny : test for colors is f. WRONG in some places (or all) : Green dark, green light, and red. No yellow but you are supposed to guess what they want here. Anecdotic though.

- How on earth can they make people watch hours of video, plus training, and the ONLY thing they learn is to use INDICATORS ???? Actually they mess up with that too many times...

- A Thai friend confirm me she does absolutely not know how to drive, but they gave her the license...

I would say the blame is on the Department. Nobody in this department to learn the BASICS and to make them teached ???

Looks really poor for Thailand. No one other country has such a problem. Even Vietnam, Cambodia, etc.

But hey, just a "few" dozens of thousand people dead and millions people injured per year, why should we care, , it's not a virus ???? Not in the breaking news everyday ????

• Like 1

Well, I don't think they need a comparison with Covid 19.  If they get infected, can always blame on those those foreigners so it isn't their choice. With driving, it's their choice and they'll do what they d**n well want to...and blame it on road conditions. And those 'green grab' motorcyclists haven't don't care either.

oK   looking at stats  Thailand  drives  are  very very bad  and the Gov should be ashamed   to alow this to continue

However  USA  is not much better   they have terrible drivers too  40,000   killed last year  

Yet they have a very efficient  police force  and traffic  tickets  are worth   about as much  as Thailand  tourist industry 

So   what is the Answer  DRIVER EDUCTAION    AND ENFORCEMENT   TOGETHER  

Lose   your licence   go to prison  make it  hard 

Australia  to date  1,100   dead   on roads   smaller   population but  000,s  miles  of fast roads  

Drink drive AU   Prison 

Speed AU   3 weeks  wages

Speed  again  LOSE  licence  

Speed   again lose car 

Well  only  1.100   dead this year  AU  so far  

So I feel this system  works  

OHH   andAustralians  are excellent  trained drivers     

• Thanks 1

When will the stores be closed, check points for intoxicated drivers, ban on alcohol sales, stop the flights with crazy foreign drivers, impose a curfew or any of the other crazy ideas to stop Covid that had 58 total deaths in Thailand.  

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I have always wondered why deaths that occur later in hospitals or even on the way to hospital are not included. 

Is there some strange reason for this?

Thailand is already in the top 3 of the worst nations in the world

for the road carnage, maybe they don't want to be far in front of

the others leading the course with worse numbers ?