Thailand road carnage: 7,414 dead at the scene this year - 38 yesterday, 560 so far in July

webfact

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I have always wondered why deaths that occur later in hospitals or even on the way to hospital are not included. 

Is there some strange reason for this?

In a unsuccessful attempt to try and save face by making the figures look lower I should imagine...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PilotBill said:

Like the rest of the world, COVID is just a (very) small comparision to what is killing the population. Last I heard, 58 deaths in Thailand from COVID compaired to over 7,000 deaths from road accidents! Come on now, I don't see any roads shut down yet the whole country is shut down because 58 people died from COVID (??)! 

And, its not just Thailand, the rest of the world is doing the same thing. I think there is some kind of plot from world leaders against mankind.

Yep, it's called Agenda 21, google it...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shaqabak said:

The fun thing is that everyone drives drunk in Thailand, in Chiang mai around ZOE area there are always packed with cars at the start of the evening when the bars closed everyone drives home. How hard can it be to setup checkpoints and getting these reckless people.

Also if they made stricter rules against driving without a license maybe change would happen, it seems like most thai's really dont care to much. 

Too busy sitting round tables making rules and sending their officers round to check on bars, instead of telling their generals to get them out on the road and sorting out these moronic drivers and riders.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, transam said:

Just a convenient way to reduce the death numbers on paper....It must be embarrassing for a few in Gov..????

The people in the government do not know what being embarrassed means.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

You need enforcement not co-operation. Enforce the wearing of helmets, having a licence, proper tests and training, no underage riding etc etc. The Police had plenty of time to enforce not sitting on a beach but turn a blind eye to all these obvious safety measures.

The Thai police have given up trying to enforce any road laws.. Thai public don't want them and the police are happy with taking the roadside tips, as are the public paying them to carry-on the same.
Nothing will change.

• Like 1

Once again I will bring up a statistic that was mentioned in a story on here quite a while ago. maybe a year or longer. That statistic said something like 1/3 of all Thais believe there is nothing they can do that will prevent an accident. 

Nothing.

How can any logical person explain to a people who are 2 steps out of the stone age that the proper use of safety measures saves lives? 

4 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Yep, it's called Agenda 21, google it...

Google says

Agenda 21 is a non-binding action plan of the United Nations with regard to sustainable development. It is a product of the Earth Summit held in Rio de Janeiro,

Is there some other Agenda 21 ?

21 hours ago, Pawpcorn said:

This is a difficult topic to discuss without sounding like we're Thai-bashing...

It really is baked into the culture, on so many numerous levels... perhaps impossible we'll ever see this change, in our lifetimes. ????

i agree, i also see many old ferangs on the road driving just as poorly IMO
with many thinking they know better
and can pick and choose how they drive
i once come around a bend well within the speed limit but without slowing down as i had no need too
only to have an old slow reacting ferang cr4p himself and then shout at me "slow down"
he told me to slow down because HE was driving on the wrong side of the road
which was why he cr4pped his pants when i came around the bend in an SUV
luckily i am not so old and i can quickly react (as we all must do when driving here)

22 hours ago, lks7689 said:

So you are suggesting they stop all covid related precautions? 

YES, all the over the top draconian measures need to end immediately,
you can be scared all you want, and stay at home all you want
but let other people live their lives

C-19 is just the start, this is likely to go on for years
welcome to the new age of Aquarius 

Edited by innosiem

What is the cost to the Nation for all of the medical treatment required by road accident victims ? The costs must be enormous. The dead are the cheapest to deal with. 

I've often said that Thai drivers only think about the destination and not the journey. 

One other thing that needs introducing is mandatory insurance for motorbike drivers.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 12:31 PM, ezzra said:

I'm riding a motorcycle around Bkk and theses figures terrified the living daylight out of me, you can ride/drive 100% correctly and according to road rules but that doesn't shield you against other idiots and morons around you...

If you've ridden here more than a month, this has to become obvious to everyone, but we still ride.  You can be the most defensive driver and not be able to defend against a reckless driver.  But we all roll the dice.  Some places are a little safer than others, but not much.

22 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Makes year i and others say it :

Just f.. learn the BASIC DRIVING RULES !!!

It's just amazing (and it looks really really bad and stupid) how they make 5 or 6 ENORMOUS MISTAKES, all the time !

- Traffic circle (round about) : they stop in the middle... Clear signs on the road although, but they can not get it !

- Wrong way is a classic-classic for motorcycles

- Engage without stoping, slow but "hey it's me i should pass", they sometimes look once engaged

- Traffic light : ho but why don't we turn IN FRONT of the opposite cars : accidents GARANTEE with motorcycle coming sideway

- On the road : a motorcycle coming opposite way : but why should i not pass, motorcycle is so small he can surely move aside for me !

- Or pass without any visibility (small hill)... I even saw a police car doing that ! Any car coming opposite and it's a crash garanteed.

- Change of file without looking...

To the dis(credit) of Thai people : problem is from the Department of transport, clearly !

- Funny : test for colors is f. WRONG in some places (or all) : Green dark, green light, and red. No yellow but you are supposed to guess what they want here. Anecdotic though.

- How on earth can they make people watch hours of video, plus training, and the ONLY thing they learn is to use INDICATORS ???? Actually they mess up with that too many times...

- A Thai friend confirm me she does absolutely not know how to drive, but they gave her the license...

I would say the blame is on the Department. Nobody in this department to learn the BASICS and to make them teached ???

Looks really poor for Thailand. No one other country has such a problem. Even Vietnam, Cambodia, etc.

But hey, just a "few" dozens of thousand people dead and millions people injured per year, why should we care, , it's not a virus ???? Not in the breaking news everyday ????

If it made some money then.....

16 hours ago, jerolamo said:

Car and motorcycles are not cheap in Thailand. New one are not cheap and second (or more) hand are not cheap too... In my french country, cars, motorbikes and electronic is cheaper if you have to compare the same model, the same quality. Same for second hand.

you are right

It seems to me to be very strange due to tax in french very expensive...

Yes, it's strange

the reality is the middlemen have very big and deep pockets and they

are busy to fill them with money

but then in Thailand, they build no car, no motorbike, all is importation and import fees are expensive in Thailand.

You are wrong

according to the BOI

'' Thailand automotive industry has been significantly developed for over 50 years. The industry contributed 12% of the GDP1 with more than 1.94 million vehicles produced and worth USD 27 billion in 2016. These successes ranked the country as the largest automotive producer in Southeast Asia and 12th in the world.'' 

On 7/16/2020 at 9:14 AM, Pungdo said:

They are just complete morons, nothing between the ears other than a vacuum, I was on my way to collect my daughter from school on my bike a couple of days ago, when a young moron flew passed me so close that his mirror clipped mine, just a little closer and it could have been handle bars clipping and I hate to think how that would have ended, probably with both of us biting the road ????

I was lucky to survive an accident on Sukhumvit Rd 4 years ago when an idiot with a very young girl sitting on the back of his bike, forced me into the gutter on the median strip, heaps of bark missing, 5 broken ribs and a broken shoulder blade was the result. ????

and i bet they blamed you. as you are falang????

On 7/16/2020 at 9:08 AM, DrJack54 said:

I have always wondered why deaths that occur later in hospitals or even on the way to hospital are not included. 

Is there some strange reason for this?

No strange reason whatsoever. Tourism in Thailand is more important than life itself. Everything in Thailand comes at a price. 

When did this change?

I think people are getting Thailand mixed up with a regular country.  They have high aspirations but face saving gets in the way.

It will never change, it will always be this.

Your only option is to leave Thailand and move to Europe, USA, wherever.  Live your life happy.  

Driving here is just about moving the car. That's it. No one knows any road rules and if they do they ignore them. There's no understanding or awareness that other people/vehicles use the road. I have to drive for them. That means, as much as possible, giving them the least chance to hit me.

• Like 2