Is it okay to boil tap water here?

Keyser Soze666

We've got the 20litre bottles supplying the hot/cold vertical water dispensers around the home. Get through a 20l bottle a day with family of four and refill at the tap which is fitted with filters. Getting water delivered or buying from the shops is old school.

Up here. Kalasin. I've been using tap water to boil things like, pasta, rice, spuds and veg, for the past few years with no ill effects. It runs clear and clean. I don't use it for tea, coffee or any drinks mostly because of the taste. We get vey large water flagons of filtered water delivered for that. Normally 5 of these last about 3 weeks. I know they are cheap but not the price because my wife deals with that.

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Well, this has brought all the techie nerds out..4 pages about water?? I only wanted a yes or no, not the fifth amendment.

If it upsets you so much that forum members took the time to reply to your OP, maybe you should think twice before posting.

The answer in many locations in Thailand is a big NO. Lots of stuff in the water won't go away just because you boil it. You don't know where the water come from. Even Thai people won't drink tap water (normal people that is).

• Like 1

You don't share your living arrangements. Pranburi Water Authority comes straight from their pipes into my underground tank. I've boiled it for tea for four years but I buy bottled to drink. 

Toy cab smell the slight chlorine content when PWA water comes out of the bathroom taps Quite safe.

When it doesn't flow I use water from our compound water tank (well water). It scales pipes terribly over time but again its safe if boiler I'm sure. 

If you live in an apartment block you might not be sure there's a dead pigeon, if it has a roof tank.... 

• Like 1

I have used tap water in my kettle and for boiling vegetables since I came here to live.  Also to brush my teeth.

I have used piped water and well water and as a previous poster said 'I am still here'.

FWIW i live in Phuket

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The answer in many locations in Thailand is a big NO. Lots of stuff in the water won't go away just because you boil it. You don't know where the water come from. Even Thai people won't drink tap water (normal people that is).

This is the very reason a lab test of a sample is needed.

Water is a super big business - our minds may already have been taken over by the water mafia!

My inquiry about the TDS test is also related to this. Hope there is someone who knows about these issues.

Edited by ravip

26 minutes ago, ravip said:

This is the very reason a lab test of a sample is needed.

Water is a super big business - our minds may already have been taken over by the water mafia!

My inquiry about the TDS test is also related to this. Hope there is someone who knows about these issues.

The TDS meter is used to check on performance of RO filters (they should cut about 90% of conductive solids if working well).  It is not a measurement of how pure the water is except for mineral content.  There could be chemicals or bacteria/virus present as that has nothing to do with total dissolved solids.  Such meters are also useful for dish and cloths washers as they indicate the water hardness (and if a need for softener).

The above said they are cheap and work well and easy to use so even without an RO filter you might like to have one.

image.jpeg.90dfcd60f23acfa535b775f89476ac60.jpeg

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

You boil it, it kills bactéries and viruses, also maybe other tiny animals in the water or eggs.

Minerals and salts (an-organic) you can measure, but you dont know what salts or minerals.

Organic substances you dont know and those can kill you in short or long time. Like a cyanide.

Poisons used in agriculture and otherwise get into the water and isnt good for drinking. 

You need advanced equipment to dertimine it in the water.

Only a true RO filter would get all out and then you have clean water.

So better use the the clean made water for drinking and hope they did a good job on filtering it.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:08 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

So that's cleared that up then. I need an asprin now ????

Does Aspirin purify water?  ????

Sometimes, everything can become humorous and good for a laugh only! 

Edited by ravip

Hot tap water can leach harmful contaminants like lead from your pipes into the water. Boiling the hot tap water doesn’t remove the lead, but only makes it more concentrated. A water filter might be a good option. On the other hand, boil tap water is microbiologically safe.

2 hours ago, Speedhump said:

You don't share your living arrangements. Pranburi Water Authority comes straight from their pipes into my underground tank. I've boiled it for tea for four years but I buy bottled to drink. 

Toy cab smell the slight chlorine content when PWA water comes out of the bathroom taps Quite safe.

When it doesn't flow I use water from our compound water tank (well water). It scales pipes terribly over time but again its safe if boiler I'm sure. 

If you live in an apartment block you might not be sure there's a dead pigeon, if it has a roof tank.... 

Manuel from Fawlty Towers had a problem with the roof tank.

43 minutes ago, talkman said:

Hot tap water can leach harmful contaminants like lead from your pipes into the water. Boiling the hot tap water doesn’t remove the lead, but only makes it more concentrated. A water filter might be a good option. On the other hand, boil tap water is microbiologically safe.

1.  Almost no home in Thailand has hot water supply - point of use water heaters are used here.

2.  Have never seen copper pipe with lead solder used here.  Not any lead that I know of used in plastic pipes.

Edited by lopburi3

I asked the same question back in 2016.

I was directed to Stuart Cooper <[email protected]>

Stuart Cooper <[email protected]>

Thu 17/03/2016 00:09

To: You

Cc: [email protected]

Have you considered purchasing a home reverse osmosis filter or counter-top distillation unit?  These are very popular amongst our supporters in North America and Europe.  Boiling will only concentrate the fluoride.  It can only be removed with reverse osmosis or distillation, not with charcoal filters. 

Berkley filters seem to be popular with many of our supporters.  Here is more info:

Here is FAN's guide on filters:

Here is a guide from Environmental Working group: 

Take care
Stuart

On 7/16/2020 at 2:30 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

I have no idea at all what that is. I'm talking about putting tap water into a normal old kettle and boiling, that's it.

I ve done it for 14 years i was told as long as u let it boil for a while it's ok kills any bugs 

On 7/16/2020 at 2:34 PM, pomozki said:

this is probably a bit obvious but if you fill up one of these ginormous 6L water bottles it'll cost you a one-off 30-40 baht to buy the bottle, then 5 baht to refill each time if you have a water machine nearby and you'll get maybe dozens of cups out of each refill, so virtually zero cost and super convenient
I heard it isnt as good as bottled water but by the time you've boiled it there'd be zero chance of getting sick from it - been doing that for years now

Be careful with those water machines don.t get cleaned or filters changed no where near as often as they should.but like u said if boiling it should be ok .i buy the big 18 litres of waterman for drinking cold 

I would do a bit of research on the original source of the tap water and find out what treatment it is given. Generally all cities and large towns here have 'world class' water. I use the tap water for cleaning my teeth, and for boiling. If the water is dirty (sometimes is after repair work)  then i don't. For other purposes use the delivered 20 litre refillable bottles at 10-15 baht a go. Haven't had more than one or two bad stomach upsets in 10 years. 

I trained as a water treatment scientist so pretty clued up on the reality of the risks.

On 7/16/2020 at 2:30 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

I have no idea at all what that is. I'm talking about putting tap water into a normal old kettle and boiling, that's it.

WITHOUT ANY FILTERING MACHINE, tap water in Bangkok (dunno in other parts of Thailand) is not good for consumption EVEN WHEN BOILED as per experience. So, that's your straight "NO" answer. 

Boiling may get rid of the bugs, but it won't get rid of arsenic, lead, mercury, or any number of chemicals that may come from the well itself, or old pipes or tanks along the way.

You may not notice the effects for years, even decades.  You'll think you're getting old and forgetful.  (Not like that ever happens to anyone on TVF)  But that's what arsenic and lead and mercury do...  TDS pens won't tell you if you have As or Pb or Hg.  Even a proper water analysis isn't 100% reliable because the issue may be transient, like when they work on the pipes or surge the lines.

I bought bottled water for the 7+ years I lived in BKK.  Probably cost me $20-30 a month in 1.5 liter bottles.  Would have been less if I had the 20 liter bottles delivered.  Seemed like cheap insurance, living in a '70s vintage apartment complex with one of those stainless tanks on the roof...

BTW, before anyone jumps on me for mentioning Hg, it's a very expensive problem in oil and gas production from many wells in Thailand.

Edited by impulse

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

You may not notice the effects for years, even decades.  You'll think you're getting old and forgetful. 

It is the tap water and not my age? My goodness. Wished that I have known this earlier. But on a more serious note - if you don't destill water there is no guarantee that it is very clean. Boiling is not enough and filters might help only to a certain degree. 

Edited by Oldie

Just now, Oldie said:
11 minutes ago, impulse said:

You may not notice the effects for years, even decades.  You'll think you're getting old and forgetful. 

It is the tap water and not my age? My goodness. Wished that I have known earlier. But on a more serious note - if you don't destill water there is no guarantee that it is very clean. Boiling is not enough and filters might help only to a certain degree. 

That's in response to all the guys who "have been boiling water for years, and I feel fine".  Most of the families in Flint, Michigan thought they were fine, too.  Or, at least, didn't realize their family health problems were from bad water.  It's insidious.

11 hours ago, debbiedebbie said:

WITHOUT ANY FILTERING MACHINE, tap water in Bangkok (dunno in other parts of Thailand) is not good for consumption EVEN WHEN BOILED as per experience. So, that's your straight "NO" answer. 

Your experience does not equate to mine or that of most people drinking Bangkok water - nor is it supported by any testing that I am aware of.  I am aware that water in various locations in Bangkok was tested as far back as 1980 and was found better that that being sold in bottles.  My current report here in Latphao:

Last Update 18/07/2020 08:22:00
Free Residual Chlorine : 0.59 mg/L
Turbidity : 0.20 NTU
Conductivity : 498.00 µs/cm
Salinity : 0.24 g/L
pH : 7.06  

Chloride : 58.02 mg/L

Station detail : 591 Soi Thep Lila 1, Wang Thonglang, Bang Kapi, Bangkok 10310
Latitude : 13.766959
Longitude : 100.597634
Tel. : 02-5395954

Edited by lopburi3