Is it okay to boil tap water here?

Keyser Soze666

Protip  Do NOT drink the tap water in Laos, I did that years ago and it still haunts me to this day..mentally

Learned a life lesson that day....had to take a 4 hr local bus that day as well.......chickens and all....urp....blah

12 hours ago, Oldie said:

It is the tap water and not my age? My goodness. Wished that I have known this earlier. But on a more serious note - if you don't destill water there is no guarantee that it is very clean. Boiling is not enough and filters might help only to a certain degree. 

I've been doing this for 30 years or more. I'm now concerned it may shorten my life. I am 86????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Your experience does not equate to mine or that of most people drinking Bangkok water - nor is it supported by any testing that I am aware of.  I am aware that water in various locations in Bangkok was tested as far back as 1980 and was found better that that being sold in bottles.  My current report here in Latphao:

So, why do you think most people I know (locals and foreigners) wouldn't drink unfiltered tap water? The more when I got nasty skin rashes and each of them told me, "I told you so?" Most of the time, isn't it that experience is a better reference than any reports and whatnot?

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Because they're like sheep, think it's posh to drink bottled water, etc.

And, I say ... wow! But, sorry we all probably just like to be 'water-healthier'. Might be thanked for in half a year or so from this humble input. ????

4 minutes ago, debbiedebbie said:

And, I say ... wow! But, sorry we all probably just like to be 'water-healthier'. Might be thanked for in half a year or so from this humble input. ????

So your basis is hearsay from others about wanting to drink filtered or bought water and your having an undefined allergic reaction to something that is more likely soap?  I can see wanting to drink filtered water for the taste factor but tap water is safe to drink and processed to international standards.  As for skin issues have never met anyone having such caused by Bangkok water (and have many decades here).  But you have the choice to use or not use and fully respect that.   

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

So your basis is hearsay from others about wanting to drink filtered or bought water and your having an undefined allergic reaction to something that is more likely soap?  I can see wanting to drink filtered water for the taste factor but tap water is safe to drink and processed to international standards.  As for skin issues have never met anyone having such caused by Bangkok water (and have many decades here).  But you have the choice to use or not use and fully respect that.   

Not totally just hearsay. It's an experience shared with 6 people, plus that doctor's inconclusive advice re those rashes when I brought up drinking non-RO water.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:48 AM, Asquith Production said:

Used them and found out the company were just putting tap water into the 20 litre bottles. 

There are criminals here. But many Thais are hard working and serious. You just move on and find a real company, run by adults, that offers a good product.