Visa amnesty extended to September 30?

Just now, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

Correct.  But likely was approved and then the immigration officers are just giving the information of what was approved.  They it would be announced before next Friday according to Bangkok Herald.  At any rate, it's promising.  And it goes with what immigration offices have been telling people.  

It would have to be approved by the Cabinet. What the Cabinet talks about and decides is publicly available, as i explained here:

The Cabinet didn't talk about an amnesty extension yet. The earliest date when they would do this is next Tuesday.

Thus we can rule out that an amnesty extension was approved.

• Thanks 2

"before next Friday".........

tomorrow or next week ?

Friday next week is the 24th and would only leave 1 week
for people to make plans if this turns out to be false

"immigration officers told foreign-passport holders yesterday and today"
can anyone confirm this,
has anyone been to immigration today ?

Edited by innosiem
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I'd say it's way more than a "rumour".

I would way it's a certainty that there will be an extension as nobody can fly anywhere right now. What would you expect them to do with stranded tourists who cannot get home? Lock them up?

Exactly. The only country that did seem to haul away all foreigners, back in March or April I think it was, was Cuba. They forced all foreigners into quarantine while awaiting flights out of the country.

Highly unlikely a country like Thailand would or even could, do the same. Aside from the obvious beating to it's reputation, the logistics would be impossible. Plus Thailand has far, far more foreigners than Cuba. And for what?

I think people should just calm down and stay put (but with a solid "just in case" plan). 15 days is a long time and I think something will be announced by next week. Even more likely now that the government seems to be keen on slowing down the arrival of newcomers and flights, in light of the incident in Rayong a few days ago.

Cause and Effect?  If this ends being true then the possibility of those on Retirement Visa/Ext of Stay entering or re-entering looks very dim for this year.  I had a round trip out of LOS for late September with thoughts of returning in October??? “What a Fool Believes” as the Doobie Brothers once said.  This is me. A fool.  I have now pushed my trip back until November and it appears it will be ONE WAY.  

So long Land of Smiles.  It was fun for the last few years.  All Good Things Must Come To An End.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I'd say it's way more than a "rumour".

I would way it's a certainty that there will be an extension as nobody can fly anywhere right now. What would you expect them to do with stranded tourists who cannot get home? Lock them up?

That may be what you would say, but the source quoted went to significant lenghts tomspecify that it was both unconfirmed and a rumour, something the op neglected to mention.

I too suspect extending amnesty is highly likely, even a necessity,  but until it has been confirmed by a government source I am ready to use my final extension if required.

I hust hope that in the event amnesty is not extended enough notice is given I can avoid the worst of cluster<deleted> that will be immigration.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

Immigration doesn't have the power to extend the amnesty, so we can put this under "speculation", same as many other topics here.

True, but they would have to be pretty uninformed to not know that thousands of foreigners are on the edge of their seats waiting for some kind of decision on this.

I think that if they had decided not to extend the deadline then they would have already announced the fact to avoid ugly crowds at immigration offices.

The longer they wait the more likely an extension will be given

This plus the fact that many foreigners will have already left during this first amnesty so the numbers affected will already be fewer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, innosiem said:

"before next Friday".........

tomorrow or next week ?

Friday next week is the 24th and would only leave 1 week
for people to make plans if this turns out to be false

"immigration officers told foreign-passport holders yesterday and today"
can anyone confirm this,
has anyone been to immigration today ?

2020-07-16-15-14-03.png

7 minutes ago, masvil said:

2020-07-16-15-14-03.png