Visa amnesty extended to September 30?

39 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Exactly. The only country that did seem to haul away all foreigners, back in March or April I think it was, was Cuba. They forced all foreigners into quarantine while awaiting flights out of the country.

Highly unlikely a country like Thailand would or even could, do the same. Aside from the obvious beating to it's reputation, the logistics would be impossible. Plus Thailand has far, far more foreigners than Cuba. And for what?

I think people should just calm down and stay put (but with a solid "just in case" plan). 15 days is a long time and I think something will be announced by next week. Even more likely now that the government seems to be keen on slowing down the arrival of newcomers and flights, in light of the incident in Rayong a few days ago.

39 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Exactly. The only country that did seem to haul away all foreigners, back in March or April I think it was, was Cuba. They forced all foreigners into quarantine while awaiting flights out of the country.

Highly unlikely a country like Thailand would or even could, do the same. Aside from the obvious beating to it's reputation, the logistics would be impossible. Plus Thailand has far, far more foreigners than Cuba. And for what?

I think people should just calm down and stay put (but with a solid "just in case" plan). 15 days is a long time and I think something will be announced by next week. Even more likely now that the government seems to be keen on slowing down the arrival of newcomers and flights, in light of the incident in Rayong a few days ago.

"15 days is a long time" - isn't that what they said a month ago?

15 days is absolute no time when you have many visas requiring this amount of time for processing, and you have tens of thousands of people who will be affected by this.

We all know it'll be announced at 11:59pm on the 31st of July, but this "it's plenty of time" logic doesn't make sense with this government given their track record of announcements.

5 minutes ago, Maestro said:

FAKE NEWS

38 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

https://aot-portal.kdlab.dev/bkk

current departures situation in Suvarnabhumi ℅ AOT, practically zero chance of flying out atm. I went to post office today to send my brother (U.K) his birthday present..... nope, not possible, no airmailing either apparently.

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Have a friend who visited immigration yesterday, and was told he needed to be out of the country by July 31st. They told him no more amnesty or extensions. 

We hope that will change. 

But that`s TH. IO often prefer to give the easiest answer, instead of a honest "we don`t know it yet". Of course, it`s all about rumors, but back in April they said they will 100% clarify/give an update to the amnesty situation once the 31st approaches.

They have done lots of brainless things in the past, but I guess this time they had enough time to think about potential consequences. Not extending the amnesty and announcing that 1 week before, would cause a chaos. It`s true everyone had enough time to leave, but other countries like Indonesia have given the "we won`t extend the amnesty" clarification with several weeks in advance.

Nothing is likely to change for months with international tourism, at some the people remaining in Thailand with tourist visas, VOAs and exempt will have to leave. It could be next year before anything starts up again.

10 minutes ago, innosiem said:

After looking at BangkokHerald.com
i would say ignore this info
as the source is not credible IMO

website and twitter created May this year
absolutely no company or personal details stated on website
domain registration is also private

as much as many people would welcome this news
anons cannot be a credible source

as i stated earlier
just someone making a 50/50 prediction
(which many think is likely)
to try and use as credibility in future

Just looked at the about page and nothing on who they are. Could be an attempt by the OP to get clicks to the site which is a new portal of stories collected together.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

That's great news then. How do I get back to Australia? Any ideas? 

Qatar, Cathay

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/

Flights to Australia

If you wish to return to Australia, please look for commercial options. Qatar Airways and Cathay Pacific are flying to Australia. Qatar Airways are offering a 10% discount on one-way tickets to Australia, please use the promo code TRAVELHOME via their website, www.qatarairways.com/getyouhome.  

The Embassy continues to look for other commercial flight options for travel to Australia. Details of any confirmed travel options will be provided on our Facebook page, Australia in Thailand

https://www.facebook.com/australiainthailand

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Good news for those that want to stay if it's true, flipside is, probably means no opening of borders for another 2 months....

I would say with absolute certainty you are correct. If the government foresee the borders still being closed in September, naturally the amnesty will be extended along with it.

11 minutes ago, innosiem said:

After looking at BangkokHerald.com
i would say ignore this info
as the source is not credible IMO

website and twitter created May this year
absolutely no company or personal details stated on website
domain registration is also private

as much as many people would welcome this news
anons cannot be a credible source

as i stated earlier
just someone making a 50/50 prediction
(which many think is likely)
to try and use as credibility in future

Good point. This story is turning in a soap opera.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Qatar, Cathay

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/

Flights to Australia

If you wish to return to Australia, please look for commercial options. Qatar Airways and Cathay Pacific are flying to Australia. Qatar Airways are offering a 10% discount on one-way tickets to Australia, please use the promo code TRAVELHOME via their website, www.qatarairways.com/getyouhome.  

The Embassy continues to look for other commercial flight options for travel to Australia. Details of any confirmed travel options will be provided on our Facebook page, Australia in Thailand

https://www.facebook.com/australiainthailand

https://aot-portal.kdlab.dev/bkk

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The key question, so far unanswered, is will it be a "free" amnesty extension, or as in Laos, will people have to pay?

your key question should be more concerning toward can you stay or not rather then the $

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, clorox said:

your key question should be more concerning toward can you stay or not rather then the $

It doesn't affect me, but if it's an "amnesty" then, by definition, you can stay.  My question is whether it will be free as before, or whether people will have to pay, which is how it works in Laos.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

It would have to be approved by the Cabinet. What the Cabinet talks about and decides is publicly available, as i explained here:

The Cabinet didn't talk about an amnesty extension yet. The earliest date when they would do this is next Tuesday.

Thus we can rule out that an amnesty extension was approved.

Yes, earliest date for an official announcement would be after the Cabinet meeting next Tuesday 21 July.  If no decision made at that meeting, it would then be earliest 28 July.  And if no decision made at that end of July Cabinet meeting, it would be Improvisation Mode by Immigration to deal with those unable to leave the country and not being able to regularize their expired permission to stay situation.

17 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

Beyond the speculative nature of the whole article, there is no way that site has any connection to real news sources.  To do so would make it a media outlet, and that means it would have to be Thai owned and operated.

But why would a Thai owned/operated news site be registered and hosted in the United States?

image.png.fd86f4173c80e9ac2221d79268a0bf59.png

yep i think it is safe to say
the bangkok herald is full of poopadoodoo

bh1.png

bh2.png

21 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

Beyond the speculative nature of the whole article, there is no way that site has any connection to real news sources.  To do so would make it a media outlet, and that means it would have to be Thai owned and operated.

But why would a Thai owned/operated news site be registered and hosted in the United States?

image.png.fd86f4173c80e9ac2221d79268a0bf59.png

The person who owns the site has setup "privacy" so won't get spammed with emails or his/her name known. All of my websites are private too.