Visa amnesty extended to September 30?

11 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

An extension would also be logical for economic reasons. Thailand is internally classified as C19 free. Of the many foreigners who have been here for months, there is no Corvit danger from them.

Many foreigners live in hotels or rent houses, they eat in restaurants, rent motorbikes, buy household items, travel around. All of this helps the badly damaged tourism sector a little.

If 400-500K foreigners are still in Thailand and each spends 1000 baht a day, that's a month around 12-20 billion Thai Baht for the thai economy.

Don't forget the entertainment side too, almost like a taboo subject for some people, many bars and pubs that collectively employment hundreds of thousands of people depend on tourists,  frequent tourists and those dirty nomads that make it difficult for the rest us (/sarcasm), and 3-6 month a year expats (paradox?) spend a small fortune over a month which is piped back into the economy in several ways

Even the sexpest contributes heavily, especially as those in the sex trade have been excluded from any government support, welfare of families in the villages and in turn the economy of small issan villages, and in a bigger sense  - the continued repayment on cars, houses, government loans and so on currently indirectly heavily depends on these people. 

It's very short sighted this go-home nonsense

Edited by dsf9
make sarcasm explicit
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, dsf9 said:

Don't get the entertainment side too, almost like a taboo subject for some people, many bars and pubs that collectively employment hundreds of thousands of people depend on tourists,  frequent tourists and those dirty nomads that make it difficult for the rest us, and 3-6 month a year expats (paradox?) spend a small fortune over a month which is piped back into the economy in several ways

Even the sexpest contributes heavily, especially as those in the sex trade have been excluded from any government support, welfare of families in the villages and in turn the economy of small issan villages currently heavily depends on dirty dave and his pals being able to continue here..

Nomads made it difficult? Perhaps learn the definition of the word and ask them. They have no issues as they are NOMADS. Has nothing to do with it at all but you clearly have the same IQ as the gov here.

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

Nomads made it difficult? Perhaps learn the definition of the word and ask them. They have no issues as they are NOMADS. Has nothing to do with it at all but you clearly have the same IQ as the gov here.

It was an attempt at sarcasm, you've been here long enough to see bitter cynical side of TV with regards to blaming all their problems on non two weeks tourists? 

• Like 2

For whatever it's worth the baht is finally nose diving a bit especially against the euro but also dollar:

https://www.google.com/search?q=eur%2Fthb&rlz=1C1RLNS_enTH686TH688&oq=eur&aqs=chrome.1.69i59l2j69i57j69i59j69i65l3j69i60.3315j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://kasikornbank.com/en/rate/Pages/Foreign-Exchange.aspx

Sorry no fake news just facts without any underlying agenda apart from perhaps converting a bit of hard currency these days????

27 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Very easy? Not at all. Still need to risk and waste a 400K baht deposit while the THB crashes now. So many sheeps will be losing quite some money soon as they all deposited 400-800K in the past 2 years. I kept my back straight and keep my money instead.

Nah, it is easy. Can use an agent if you can't afford the seasoned monies.

If married, you can also go to Savannakehet or HMC and get a 1 yr non O with no finances needing to be shown. So yes, very easy.

Edited by Keyser Soze666

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

I called my pension providers in the UK about 3 weeks ago to get an annual pension letter. The first one came by email a couple of days later and I got another by airmail today, so some airmail letters are coming through in dribs and drabs.

True Bill, I have had airmail and emails from my UK bank in the past few days.

18 hours ago, clorox said:

im still confident there will be another amnesty of some kind, it is unreasonable to just kick everybody on that date

The word "unreasonable" means nothing to the Thai authorities. They are more than used to being that way.

12 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

If married, you can also go to Savannakehet or HMC and get a 1 yr non O with no finances needing to be shown. So yes, very easy.

Go to Savanakhet or HMC? How the heck are you going to get in there with all the borders shut tight? And then you need to jump through all the hoops to get back in. No way you will be getting back in anytime soon if you go out. The agent route is the only way to do that now.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You are absolutely correct.  What they are doing is telling the Americans not here on a current Visa or extension of stay that the Jig is almost up in their purview, and that those folks need to move onto Plan B and Plan C and book a flight home or check in with the embassy and get a repatriation loan if they can not afford to fly out on there own in order to return to the US.

But what are they "saying" to Americans when they delete that tweet shortly after posting it?

At the very least I'd suggest they realized that there may actually be a need to issue such letters in the future.  Not saying they will issue them, just that it's better they probably not say they won't, than to have to change there position later.

57 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

There is also the problem that in the last week of July two public holidays are made up and the immigration offices are closed. In the last week of July there are only 3 working days. The chaos is pre-programmed.

What are the exact dates of those 2 holidays in last week of July?
Thanks in advance for response.

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

If Thailand saw chasing the tourist dollar as the overarching priority, they should be talking earnestly with China about a travel bubble that would allow supervised Chinese tour groups to return. The risks on either side would be low, and it would bring a lot of needed stimulus to the tourism sector.

That is not to say there is not merit in keeping existing foreigners in Thailand to stimulate the hospitality industry. There is some value, but most foreigners here now are not free spending tourists, making the most of a holiday away from the daily grind.

I would say that most of the existing Western tourists here, maybe about 99%, have access to their countries bank accounts, pensions of some sorts, if they haven't, they are fully to blame for the situation they are in.

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

What are the exact dates of those 2 holidays in last week of July?
Thanks in advance for response.

27 and 28 July

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/06/30/govt-approves-the-first-of-songkran-substitute-holidays/

The cabinet approved July 27, 2020 as the first Songkran compensation holiday, according to a report by the government's Public Relations Department.

There is also another public holiday on July 28, which is His Majesty the King’s birthday.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

@Peter Denis What do you think? Will it be very easy for us all to pop over to Savanakhet and HMC to get non-immigrant Os no finances needed?

4 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Here’s a photo (℅ Richard Barrow) of the Suvarnabhumi departures board this morning. It’s in both Thai and English, the Thai script reads “cancelled”. I doubt this situation is going to change over the next two weeks. So it’s either extend amnesty or force many people which might include families with children into a situation in which they could be arrested and incarcerated if apprehended.  I, as I’m sure everyone here does, hope that the Thai government continue to look after its guests rather than put them in a position of being incarcerated in these exceptionally difficult times.

8C1C8316-40E5-46B3-AB7D-D4A29ED60B2B.jpeg

The departure board pictured shows only a 2 hour window.  If the full day was shown you would see international depatures to several destinations.  Any incarceration would be self inflicted.

Edited by treetops

They are going to make money from stranded foreigners , temper your excitement, guys. You are going to get your 30 or 60 days extension but this time you are going to pay for it.

Edited by Raymonddiaz

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

Not sure what you are trying to show here, many/most businesses and individuals purchase a domain online and tucows is simply the registrar, not the registrant.

Similarly, hosting can be located almost anywhere, its an online purchase.

You are right!  In this case the hosting is cloud based (using Google's cloud services) in the US.

And  where does it indicate or even suggest that the site is thai-owned or operated? 

You are right again!  It does not suggest that at all, but then I was not trying to suggest that.  I'm suggesting the exact opposite, that the site it NOT Thai owned or operated.  And that's a problem if you are a news outlet operating in Thailand.  Are they news?  Let's apply the duck test...

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Of course, with the rumor and speculation that site posts, they may have a good defense against the government ever claiming they are a news operation!

Finally, a full whois, which you do not provide here, shows the registrant has paid for domain privacy. So you have no idea what adress they have given.

Right again!  Although you've also missed the point.  (I blame myself for being to cryptic or unclear.)  The physical address of the owner is hidden, but the IP address of the hosting provider isn't.  

Let's compare two sites:

image.png.83aadbf48eb56ab69948d98c1035aaed.png

image.png.a5db679ef74ed99b48434b84701d54b3.png

Notice anything different about them?

Thaivisa.com is registered to an american registrar with a kowloon address and us ip address and nameservers.

Thaivisa is obviously not a news site.  Everyone knows what it is - a group of highly opinionated people (myself included!) discussing Thailand related issues. 

Nationthailand.com is similarly a us registrar, godaddy and runs on us registered cloudflare nameservers and hosting.

I think there are some errors in that statement. Nationthailand is a Thai owned and operated news operation (owned by the Nation Multimedia Group).  Cloudflare isn't a hosting provider.  They are a content delivery network (CDN).  So we can't actually see where their hosting server is located, but we CAN see where it was located before they started using Cloudflare's CDN service....

image.png.c12b24b2879a64c462e20b8d9152e757.png

That domain is now defunct, but using the Internet Archive you can pull up an old web page (this screenshot is from 2004, even though the copyright still says 2000) that shows that site is (or was) owned by.....

image.png.fc711f48a6c6a4031e2759b7d3dd687f.png

So... krungthepturakit.com was owned by the same company that owns Nationthailand.com.  And like like Bangkokpost.com, they are both Thai owned and operated media companies operating from Thailand.

Simply put, your sleuthing is pointless, because you have no idea what you are looking for. 

Awww.... I guess I wasn't clear enough.  Again, I blame myself.

How does one judge the veracity of a site?  Or a news story?  One way is to look at a source's past credibility.  (In this case the site has no past.)  Rather than base my opinions on a gut feel or some nebulous thoughts floating around inside my head, I prefer to look for some kind of factual evidence as to a source's veracity and work from there.

My opinion based on the facts I found tell me the herald site is nothing more than a rumor/speculation clickbait site.  One that is pretending to be a news site.  Want fake news?  There it is!

Sites like that do more harm than good in my opinion.  I wish people would take the time to research the authenticity of sites before they link to them (I'm sure I'm guilty of doing that too) but most people don't.

I'm genuinely glad you took the time to reply to my post and push back.  It gave me a reason to explore the issue even more to satisfy my own curiosity.  I've done the best I can with my limited abilities and resources, and I hope it helps others.  I also hope others will push back with facts to correct anything that I've said that might be wrong.  Helps me, helps others.  

There are reasons to doubt the bangkok heralds credibility as an established news source, you just havent posted any of them here.

• Thanks 1